997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

City light mod

Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
The LED h3 is from vleds, different company. It wont fit and also will trigger a bulb out warning. Its not a dLED from Hoen, those use the Bosch chips that work with the system not triggering a fault.

I tried LEDs from superbrightleds.com in the rear brakes, not only where they less bright they triggered a fault.

I asked the guys at Hoen, no go on dLED fog light, brake light bulbs etc. as they say they cant get the brightness with current leds on the market but this may change as technology improves.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Do you get the Hoen xenonmatch fogs?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Currently stock HID (they match the city lights better) and will be installing yellow fogs. I had McKenna install xenon match fogs but they did not match the ultinons, tough to get everything close.
I figure with the factory HIDs and hoen dleds its as good as your going to get so might as well get something very different for the fogs and not try to match thus yellow.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:29 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I think the dLED will over power the xenonmatch fogs, now a 4100k HID H3 kit would be nice but it looks pretty tight in there but I know someone has done it on here, maybe they will chime in.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Currently stock HID (they match the city lights better) and will be installing yellow fogs. I had McKenna install xenon match fogs but they did not match the ultinons, tough to get everything close.
I figure with the factory HIDs and hoen dleds its as good as your going to get so might as well get something very different for the fogs and not try to match thus yellow.
I ended up using vleds city dled...it does trigger a fault about 50% of the time, but they match my Philips Ultinons very well. I used a yellow H3 bulb in the end.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:20 PM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Need Help

The new lights came today. How do I remove the front light cluster? One post said it was only one screw.

Thanks

Mike

Old 08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ERSKATEDOC
The new lights came today. How do I remove the front light cluster? One post said it was only one screw.

Thanks

Mike
Check your owner's manual. One screw under the outside part of the cover. Then slide out away from the car.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:31 PM
yeah, real easy, your looking for a philips head, one each side.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:36 AM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Thanks

Very easy install. What an interesting looking light. Looks more like a computer chip. Love the look as well.

Just returned from Cars and Coffee (Irvine). Always fun.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:17 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
The LED lights that are for sale on eBay look identical, are those same ones?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 08-22-2009, 02:23 PM
The difference is UV coating. Check the benz forums, those guys did a group buy on ebay ones and they turned the lenses purple after a few weeks. Not only that most still threw a code.

The two good ones are Hoen and Brex the rest are knockoffs. Brex are $100 from Japan though, bit pricey. While at first they look similar anyone with the hoen or brex ones will tell you theirs looks more quality than the ebay ones.

Last edited by gmoney; 08-22-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:33 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for your clarification..

Old 08-22-2009, 02:35 PM
THere are more to look out for thoug, here are some other knockoffs floating around, these ones are clearly bad looking!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I banged this mod out this morning, thank you for the pics because it made my life a whole lot easier. I will post a how to soon, took me about an hour but I can see this having taken a good hour longer if I did not have the heads up and pics you provided.

Of course once you have done it I bet I could do it much quicker next time around! To think I spent over $100 for the tech to do this a while back!

Originally Posted by bbywu
Here are the pics...If you notice the dLED bulb, please note it will NOT fit into the fog lens. It fits in the holder, but has too large a diameter to fit into the projector. I had to send them back to v-leds.com...

You essentially twist off the locking plastic cylinder, pull the electric plugs, and turn to unlock the bulb holder. Hope that helps.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 AM
SuperDarius996T is on a distinguished road
Thanks gmoney,ordered a set of bulbs now!

Last edited by SuperDarius996T; 08-24-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
The bulbs showed up quickly and installed even faster!!! Great mod and no error codes!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: City light mod