997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

City light mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:49 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks gmoney, ordered a set also, will try PIAA XTREME WHITE PLUS for fogs.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited by slawek; 08-24-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:13 PM
shawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really nice
Hey Guys:

I received my Hoen's in the mail, but I seem to be having a little difficulty unplugging the existing light. I have removed the screw and pulled out the turn signal housing withiout issue. The gray plug though seems rather stubborn and won't come loose. How much force did you have to apply to unplug it?

Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
No force, its a pain to get your fingers around it but it requires a slight twist, maybe 10-15 degrees, then it falls right out.

It will require you to wiggle the LED assembly housing a bit to get your hands back behind it.

Be careful reinstalling, you dont want the new bulb to be misaligned, must go in straight.

Small(er) hands do help.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM
shawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really nice
Thanks, G-Money. I wasn't twisting appropriately (blame it on my large hands). All sorted now though, the lights look awesome! Great find and thanks for sharing!

Old 08-30-2009, 07:07 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
Is there any way to program that these lights are on without having the rear lights on as well (as daytime driving lights)?

Old 09-06-2009, 06:38 PM
cmachado is on a distinguished road
gmoney : please help me out
where is the screw to gain access to the bulb sockew located? in the back of the cluster and if so how do you reach it?
sorry for stupid question not very mechanic oriented. usually have to pay for little things like this but I am trying the new go DIY for non-engine issues

Old 09-06-2009, 07:08 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
Would these city lights be too much if you already have these? Or would they finish them off nicely???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htDBA...layer_embedded

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/v...7-p-63681.html

Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gmoney
Hope the video works, promised pics but the video shows the true color and light amount better. Ive tried tons of LEDs but these are the only ones that dont trigger the warning and they also dont need resistors.

To answer some PM's:

..install was easy, LED cluster removes via one screw to gain access to the bulb socket
..the bulbs run cooler than stock
..bulb is same size as factory unit thus plugs right in
..they are brighter than stock bulbs

<!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --><EMBED height=300 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=400 src=http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6172525&server=vimeo.com&sho w_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=&ful lscreen=1 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>
<!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan -->
What happens when you use your turn signals with these DLEDS?? Do they turn amber or do they blink white?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:23 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Sorry, had not checked mail recently!

Its quite easy, grab a flashlight and shine it at the outer sides of the LED housings, underneath it. Sometimes this can get dirty and the color makes it hard to see.

Its easy to access from the front, its just buried back there underneath it.

Originally Posted by cmachado
gmoney : please help me out
where is the screw to gain access to the bulb sockew located? in the back of the cluster and if so how do you reach it?
sorry for stupid question not very mechanic oriented. usually have to pay for little things like this but I am trying the new go DIY for non-engine issues

Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I think the chances are a good LED match in color would be slim and therefore maybe take away from this mods clean look. Im saying this assuming the DRL led stays on with the lights on?

If they turn off with the lights on then yes, it would be a good mod to swap out the stock bulb. The housing is totally OEM though right? If changes have been made to it other than swapping white for yellow leds Id check with the guys at hoen to be sure.

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
Would these city lights be too much if you already have these? Or would they finish them off nicely???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htDBA...layer_embedded

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/v...7-p-63681.html

Old 09-07-2009, 07:28 AM
On second thought, it looks like the little bulb has been replaced in that housing already with an amber one, I cant tell?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney
On second thought, it looks like the little bulb has been replaced in that housing already with an amber one, I cant tell?
They have been changed to amber (I believe), and you are prolly right on with the match being perfect. I will leave these as is and do the license bulb upgrade and call it a day. I also did a set of Moen HID match fogs. Thanks for the posts and inspirations.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:51 AM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
Hey gmoney,

Thanks for your post, just installed the city and fog lights last night and they look way better. Just need to the get the rear plate light and I'm done. Great find.

Randy

Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
07turbo is on a distinguished road
Dled_4 vs dled_2

Hoen only has the DLED_4 in stock. Says the Dled_2 will be in around 3rd week of Sept.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/city.htm

Seems like all of you installed the DLED_2 ... is there any reason not to install the DLED_4's?

Old 09-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I was told in the Porsche it makes little difference in light as there is a clear plastic looking cover over the front that reduces direct light output going forward, built in to the lens. Andreas at Hoen says however the dled4 is a bit higher tech in that the polarization deal, i.e. having to rotate the bulb if it does not ignite, is a thing of the past, they have another chip that fixes that, slap it in any way and go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: City light mod