997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

No more base Turbo's, just S's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:53 PM
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
No more base Turbo's, just S's?

So, got some frustrating news today. I had placed my order and deposit about a month ago for a turbo cab. I was next in line at my dealer, so I would get the first allocation they got for the Feb-July production run. We've been waiting the last few weeks to get the allocations from PCNA. In the last 48 hours, PCNA has delivered the dealer allocations for Feb-July. My dealer got ZERO turbo allocations, but they did get 2 S allocations. I wasn't happy because 1) rather than getting a Feb build, the first S build date is April (although it's going to be a MY11), and 2) I'm not sure I want the S - or better put, not sure I want to pay the extra $$.

I called four other dealers (big ones) to see what they got for allocations and was ready to give someone else some business (my deposit is obviously refundable). None of them got "base" turbo allocations, just a few S allocations. Two of them told me Porsche is only making the S from here on.

Frustrated and not sure what to believe. Few questions:

1) Has anyone heard anything on this matter? Does it make sense that they would only build S's? Would they take a break from "base" turbo's, then start producing them again in 6 or 9 months? Would they really only build S's for the next few years until the new turbo comes out? I don't understand their strategy.

2) What do we know about the S? Speculation has been that it will have about 530 hp, PDK, ceramics (I was getting PDK, not the ceramics, and don't need the extra 30 hp)? What else? Any changes to exterior or interior? I like the turbo the way it is, i'm nervous they will make a change that I don't like. What about cost? How much more? What were the features and price difference the last time Porsche made an S? If the first S's are being built in April, when will more info become publicly available? Hard for me to commit to an S not knowing this info and tired of being in limbo and waiting. Other options would be to buy one of the turbo's on their way over now for inventory - problem is the ones I've seen aren't exactly what I want and I really wanted to build it exactly to my specs, so I'm not crazy about this option. Other option is to buy a non-Porsche. If the S is going to get close to $180k, this option becomes more appealing (my cab was spec'd out at $167k and not really willing to add another $10-$15k).

Maybe this is why Porsche is in financial trouble. They have customers that want to spend $160k on their cars, and yet they can't fill the order. Never thought it would be so hard to find a dealer to take my money.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Long threads on this at Rennlist and TeamSpeed for weeks. Find other dealers. Or find something still in inventory ('09) now if you can.

teamspeed.com/forums/997-996-turbo/32372-2010-997-turbo-s.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-05-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: plese no embedded links to other forums
Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 PM
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
[quote=Eric (Plug Guy);2643144]Long threads on this at Rennlist and TeamSpeed for weeks. Find other dealers. Or find something still in inventory ('09) now if you can.

Thanks, I've seen those and the specuation about the S, but the other thing I'm trying to understand is if Porsche will still be making "base" turbo's, or now just the S.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-05-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:45 PM
SchH III is on a distinguished road
I stopped by my dealer this morning to ask the same questions; unfortunately, concrete information re the "S" has not been released or remains shrouded in secrecy. The only "rumors" I have were posted earlier and they suggest PCCBs and PDK will be standard, horsepower will exceed 530 and the base price is estimated to be $159k. The dealer (who has held my deposit for almost 3 years) does not have an order guide but expects my car to be delivered during May. It was confirmed that the "S" will be a 2011 model.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:47 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
The last time the Turbo S was the only available model, was in 2005 where it came with the X50 package upping power to 450hp also it came stock with PCCB's, so yes basically they're doing the same thing with this incarnation of the S that they did with the last one. Honestly, it does sound expensive but if it holds true as the 996 Turbo S, it will retain resale a little better than non-S. If it's in your budget, I say, go ahead and get the S, or even better, get a barely broken in GT2 unless it's imperative that you have a cab.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Turbo "$" ?!!!!!!

I would get the S . If you are already going in deep .. it's got to be a "hail Mary" Turbo .
Once the S comes out the base Turbo will get crushed in depreciation (especially a cab) .

This is going to be a nice car !!!

Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Saw these 2010 turbos at the LA Auto show today neither one had s badging just reg turbo script on the back ,check out the price on the cab at $200k sounds like you got a deal at $167k ,sorry pics a little blurry brown car is the cab.One change i noticed that may not show in pics is the side mirrors a way bigger now.

Attached Images    
Old 12-06-2009, 01:11 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
twturbo - The sticker says Lava Gray with Cocoa ? To me it looks Terracotta . Looks amazing !!!! wow

Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
twturbo - The sticker says Lava Gray with Cocoa ? To me it looks Terracotta . Looks amazing !!!! wow
thats the coupe ,i now it's hard to tell but the other pic is a cab,also posted some pics of the gt3rs on a new thread & i gotta figure out how to get those full size pics .The small pic below is the cocoa interior on the cab

Attached Images  

Last edited by twturbo; 12-06-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 AM
That is a gorgeous car!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:54 AM
notgood is on a distinguished road
That can't be cocoa. It looks like that lipstick red they have.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
That is Carrera Red / Natural Leather. Have it in my C4S. Gawgous

Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo S

So the S will just be extra HP plus “FREE” stuff we have to pay for on a turbo? Is it me, or turbo is getting very expensive... Will anyone pay $200 for a TT cab? They still have 09 TT cab in the showroom with deep discount.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
our local dealer got 2 S' and no more normal Turbos... luckily we ordered ours early! keep looking maybe someone has something out there...

Old 12-06-2009, 03:56 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, a lot of dough for turbos these days. if I were shopping for one, I'd give serious thought to an S. PDK will really make the .2 turbo and is a must have, imo. So PDK, PCCBs and X50 would add about $30k to a base model. I imagine Porsche will give offer CLs as standard. Judging from the 996 turbo S, there is value in the S as the options were cheaper with that car than they were ordering them on a base turbo. Geez, 539 HP w/PDK and PCCBs; it gets me all excited.

It'll def be wicked car and is an indicator of how good the 991 turbo will be. Although one would have to wait until 2012 for a MY2013 991 turbo.

Last edited by 911dev; 12-06-2009 at 04:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No more base Turbo's, just S's?