997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bilstein Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Bilstein Alternatives?

With my powers mods in place, I'd like to start considering upgrades to the suspension. The PSS10s seemed like the way to go but with all the recent postings of Bilstein quality issues, I'm seriously considering alternatives. I'm looking for coilovers that would be equivalent to PSS10s, somewhere between street and track. Springs might also be an option but since I have no experience with them, any feedback would be appreciated. Also, I don't have "PASM" option to take into consideration. TIA.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned
997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !
I recommend the KW V3's. We have had great feedback from all of our customers ( both track and street ) Without worries about retaining your PASM feature, this is the way to go.

KW Variant 3 inox-line – Perfect Street Performance

State-of-the-art technology from motor sports for more performance on the road. The separate and independently adjustable rebound- and compression damping allows for an individual suspension setup for different uses and preferences. The unique patented system with its two-stage valves allows a rebound damping adjustment (comfort) and a compression adjustment (driving dynamics) in the low-speed range while the high-speed range which controls the driving safety, is fixed.

Damping technology with individually adjustable rebound- and compression technology
inox-line* stainless steel technology
Individually height adjustable
Adjustment parameters approved by the German Technical Control Board (TÜV)
High-quality components for long durability
Infinitely variable rebound damping adjustment
14-way adjustable compression damping
Unique, individually working damping force adjustment
Comprehensive documentation for easy use

Please pm me for promotional 6speedonline pricing. We have two sets in stock and ready to ship.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTdude
With my powers mods in place, I'd like to start considering upgrades to the suspension. The PSS10s seemed like the way to go but with all the recent postings of Bilstein quality issues, I'm seriously considering alternatives. I'm looking for coilovers that would be equivalent to PSS10s, somewhere between street and track. Springs might also be an option but since I have no experience with them, any feedback would be appreciated. Also, I don't have "PASM" option to take into consideration. TIA.

Our Hotrodded bilsteins are absolutely trick, reprogrammed PASM and better linear spring rates.

http://tpcracing.com/products/TPCRac...nic-Coilovers/

Bilsteins are absolutely quality pieces... 1 failure should dissuade you from such a great brand... But if it does JRZ is choice.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rennsport-1
I recommend the KW V3's. We have had great feedback from all of our customers ( both track and street ) Without worries about retaining your PASM feature, this is the way to go.

Please pm me for promotional 6speedonline pricing. We have two sets in stock and ready to ship.
Thanks, these seem like an attractive alternative. Will be in touch.

Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
Our Hotrodded bilsteins are absolutely trick, reprogrammed PASM and better linear spring rates.

http://tpcracing.com/products/TPCRac...nic-Coilovers/

Bilsteins are absolutely quality pieces... 1 failure should dissuade you from such a great brand... But if it does JRZ is choice.
Nice set-up. I've been following your threads. Very impressive. I get the impression that JRZs might be too stiff for me. What makes me nervous is that there are at least 4 recent posts of Bilstein problems on this forum and 1 recent one on the 996tt. Sharky also raised a question about recent quality issues. Bilstein is not out of the question but just wondering what are some equivalent alternatives that people use and like.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
No problem. We only sell Bilstein as the "budget" choice for the 997TT as we feel they are the only ones worth working with... As you could see we had issues with valving and spring rates so we fixed it. It is not meant to be a "race" only shock but how we believe they should have been delivered. We have seen them with many miles with no issues. JRZ shocks are as stiff as teh springs that are coupled with them, lighter spring rates and properly valved shocks would provide a level of handling that far exceeds what the car comes with from the factory but would not ride like a cup car.

My vote is a hot rodded bilstein.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Bilstein makes the OEM shocks for porsche, I believe the recent shock failure episode was an installation error, as are probably all of the other cases. I think when the drop links fail, the car has been 'slammed' too much, throwing off the geometry resulting in failure. My car is set at -15mm, set up by F-L, zero issues.
If you want to consider springs, then GMG is the only choice IMO, all others will sag, I had these on m car prior to installing coilovers. I can tell you they will work every bit as well as b16s on the track. The big advantage of coilovers over springs alone is ht adjustability and corner balancing ability.
I'd go with the TPC bilsteins, just because you don't have the sc option on your car doesn't mean it doesn't have PASM, I believe the PASM module still controls the shock to a certain degree.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
As Chris stated, PASM is a standard feature on all 997 turbos.

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Bilstein makes the OEM shocks for porsche, I believe the recent shock failure episode was an installation error, as are probably all of the other cases. I think when the drop links fail, the car has been 'slammed' too much, throwing off the geometry resulting in failure. My car is set at -15mm, set up by F-L, zero issues.
If you want to consider springs, then GMG is the only choice IMO, all others will sag, I had these on m car prior to installing coilovers. I can tell you they will work every bit as well as b16s on the track. The big advantage of coilovers over springs alone is ht adjustability and corner balancing ability.
I'd go with the TPC bilsteins, just because you don't have the sc option on your car doesn't mean it doesn't have PASM, I believe the PASM module still controls the shock to a certain degree.
Thanks Chris for the great feedback.

Originally Posted by bbywu
As Chris stated, PASM is a standard feature on all 997 turbos.
Thanks again Bobby for the clarification and accuracy as usual. I guess I don't quite understand...is Bilstein the only company that is compatible with PASM? Are other manufacturers not compatible with PASM? I thought I read a post somewhere that you have to disable PASM to install a certain brand (Motons ??). Is that just the PASM button that allows one to toggle from normal to stiff or is that the entire PASM control system? Are the Damptronics PSS10s specifically designed to allow one to activate the PASM button from normal to stiff where the PSS10s (non-damptronics doesn't)? The nomenclature gets confusing and my ignorance doesn't help either.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
TThanks again Bobby for the clarification and accuracy as usual. I guess I don't quite understand...is Bilstein the only company that is compatible with PASM? Are other manufacturers not compatible with PASM? I thought I read a post somewhere that you have to disable PASM to install a certain brand (Motons ??). Is that just the PASM button that allows one can toggle from normal to stiff or is that the entire PASM control system? Are the Damptronics PSS10s specifically designed to allow one to activate the PASM button from normal to stiff where the PSS10s (non-damptronics doesn't)? The nomenclature gets confusing and my ignorance doesn't help either.
Bilstein is the only company that offers an electronically controlled damper compatible with PASM. The technology is offered on multiple vehicles i.e. GT-R, Cayenne, etc...however, Bilstein is the only manufacturer builds them...currently.

You can disable PASM with PIWIS or Durametric software. This turns off the computer module for PASM, and also eliminates the dashboard warning tell you that PASM is disabled.

Damptronic coilovers hare electronically controlled dampers. Bilstein also makes non PASM coilovers with manual adjustments. Bilstein's official model name for PASM compatible coilovers is B16 Damptronic or PSS Damptronic Kit. Their non PASM coilovers retain the same name from their brethren PSS10.

Moton, KW, JRZ...all make superior coilovers, using manual adjustments, but require PASM to be shut off.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Bilstein is the only company that offers an electronically controlled damper compatible with PASM. The technology is offered on multiple vehicles i.e. GT-R, Cayenne, etc...however, Bilstein is the only manufacturer builds them...currently.

You can disable PASM with PIWIS or Durametric software. This turns off the computer module for PASM, and also eliminates the dashboard warning tell you that PASM is disabled.

Damptronic coilovers hare electronically controlled dampers. Bilstein also makes non PASM coilovers with manual adjustments. Bilstein's official model name for PASM compatible coilovers is B16 Damptronic or PSS Damptronic Kit. Their non PASM coilovers retain the same name from their brethren PSS10.

Moton, KW, JRZ...all make superior coilovers, using manual adjustments, but require PASM to be shut off.
Good info. Thanks! What are the advantages of having electronically controlled dampers vs not, i.e. what would be the noticeable difference between the two? Do GT2/3s have PASM?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Good info. Thanks! What are the advantages of having electronically controlled dampers vs not, i.e. what would be the noticeable difference between the two? Do GT2/3s have PASM?
All 911s, since the introduction of the 997, have PASM available. It is a standard feature on the Turbo, GT2, and GT3. The only car that I believe had it as an option was the standard Carrera, and I think it became standard after 2 or 3 years into the model.

The advantage of an electronically controlled damper is the ability to change the settings (2 way on the 911, 3 way on the Cayenne) without stopping the car and exiting the vehicle to access controls. Manually adjusted dampers offer a greater range of settings, which have varying effeects depending on the springs you chose. An experienced suspension shop can give you pretty good advice.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
There is one more to consider --Techart. Although expensive and from what I understand has some hints of Bilstein it is still my feeling that if Techart stamps it there's got to be some added features of quality .They are PASM compatible. Techart was actually my first choice but after reading the posts on Bilstein and opting to hedge cost I chose them . I am still very happy with my Bilsteins .. but my alternative for a street /track car would still be Techarts .

Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM
All 911s, since the introduction of the 997, have PASM available. It is a standard feature on the Turbo, GT2, and GT3. The only car that I believe had it as an option was the standard Carrera, and I think it became standard after 2 or 3 years into the model.

The advantage of an electronically controlled damper is the ability to change the settings (2 way on the 911, 3 way on the Cayenne) without stopping the car and exiting the vehicle to access controls. Manually adjusted dampers offer a greater range of settings, which have varying effeects depending on the springs you chose. An experienced suspension shop can give you pretty good advice.
Sorry for going in circles here but since my car is non-SC optioned, I don't have the ability to electronically change the two-way settings you describe. So techinically are you saying that a non-SC optioned car has PASM but is not able to access the toggle function or does PASM do more than just allow one to electronically control the settings?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
There is one more to consider --Techart. Although expensive and from what I understand has some hints of Bilstein it is still my feeling that if Techart stamps it there's got to be some added features of quality .They are PASM compatible. Techart was actually my first choice but after reading the posts on Bilstein and opting to hedge cost I chose them . I am still very happy with my Bilsteins .. but my alternative for a street /track car would still be Techarts .
Thanks Larry for pointing out the Techart option.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Sorry for going in circles here but since my car is non-SC optioned, I don't have the ability to electronically change the two-way settings you describe. So techinically are you saying that a non-SC optioned car has PASM but is not able to access the toggle function or does PASM do more than just allow one to electronically control the settings?
Do you not have a suspension button?

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 01-03-2010 at 01:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Alternatives?