997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

I just purchased this 2011 TS, I'm a bit concerned I'll hate the.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Rams86 is on a distinguished road
I just purchased this 2011 TS, I'm a bit concerned I'll hate the.....

the seats. I'll explain in a minute......I am trading in my 2010 GT3 (a long story) and made a deal to purchase this car which has as close to a spec as I could live with without waiting for December build and February delivery slot.

First, I wanted white and I wanted the non center lock wheels which will probably be against the grain here. I loved the center locks on my GT3 but they are pretty cumbersome if you like to pull your wheels occasionally, or catch a nail in the middle of no where! I also did not like the look of the spyder design, it looks very aftermarket to me.

The spec is attached below and I'm somewhat thinking I'll regret not having the Adaptive Sport Seats which are standard. The person who speced this car ordered seat Ventilation which seems foolish to me. I loved the look and feel of the Adaptives - I had them in the GT3. Are my concerns unfounded or are the Sport Seats just as good?! Seems like there were a lot of Turbo S's out there speced with Sport seats (at least in CA)

Two other irritations on the spec sheet for me - its a white car and was speced with clear tail lights which I think only look good on darker vehicles. The dealer is changing these out prior to shipping it to me.

Finally, they speced the car the Front Grills in the Exterior Color which I think looks really cheesy. I am ordering the stock slats and will change this out when get it.

Now you might ask "why would you pay for a turbo S and not get exactly the car you want?" Well, I looked everywhere in the US for vehicles and this was the closest I could live with. I didnt feel like waiting 6 months for delivery of my own speced vehicle. I'm fired up to get it and cant wait to get it broken in! Here is the spec and a couple of photos:

541 - Seat Ventilation Front
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
P15 - 12-Way Power Seats
686 - XM Radio
CNF - Front Intake Grill Ext Color
342 - Heated Seats - Front
XXG - Rear Lights in Clear Glass
421 - 19" 911 Turbo II Wheel

Clear tail lights looks bad on white IMO! Love the Turbo II's

Painted slats are horrible!

Do the "Comfort seats with Ventilation" look flimsy compared to the Adaptives?

Last edited by Rams86; 09-14-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: extra pic!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Brad, you'll be fine The Sports seats are plenty good. The color is excellent. I think it looks great! The Red S I'm looking at has the same wheels, Sports seats, and no paddles. If I buy it I'm going to add paddles and that's it. This particular car you bought is not a sacrifice whatsoever... The resale will be fine.

Ted.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Actually, I don't think those are sport seats. The sports have those shoulder wings, which don't appear to be in the pic.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Rams86 is on a distinguished road
The first seat is the "comfort" seat with ventilation...the middle seat is the sport adaptive

Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 AM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
Why don't you see the car first and change the lights, slats, etc? You may like it in person. You can always change them out later if you really don't like them... Just my 2 cents

Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 AM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
I have the same colour on order and I'm not a fan of the clear glass tail lights on the white turbo either. One thing that needs to be done is painting the front lip and rocker panels.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Actually, I don't think those are sport seats. The sports have those shoulder wings, which don't appear to be in the pic.
Agreed. Look like comfort seats with ventilation- no large bolsters.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Great car... you can literally swap out everything that you don't like.... seats, tail lights, grille, etc...

Just swap/sell your parts for others... you won't lose too much $$ (who knows you may gain depending what you're looking for) and in the end you have the car you want. (as long as you wanted a white turbo S).

As for the center lock rims... well, that may not be worth it... that's your call. When I'm looking at cars, I categorize what I can: a) live with/want; b) change and: c) not worth the $$ to fix and I don't want it that way.

If you have too many in category C, move on.. Doesn't sound like you do.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Your concern is valid. There are both cosmetic ("flimsy" as you mentioned) and functional differences between this Turbo S's seat and the Adaptive Seat, in the bolsters. The bolsters -- 2 on the seatback, 2 on the seat itself -- are both bigger and therefore "deeper" in the Adaptive Seat.
In addittion, the angle of the Bolsters could be adjusted in the Adaptive Seat. 2 electronic switches allow you to do this.

In a car like the Turbo S that's so stunningly fast, and leans so much compared to your GT3 , the ability to hold you in the seat might be quite important and frankly I am quite surprised that someone would order the car this way. I had the regular seat in my previous 997, and the Adaptive Seat in my current Turbo so I have used both; "YMMV" but personally I would not want a Turbo without Adaptive Seat. Especially because it seems to bother you enough to have posted this thread, you might want to check the difference out at your local Porsche dealers before finalizing this deal -- don't buyers have 3 days to void a purchase?

Originally Posted by Rams86
the seats. I'll explain in a minute......
....Do the "Comfort seats with Ventilation" look flimsy compared to the Adaptives?

Last edited by cannga; 09-14-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 AM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
is this the car at circle porsche in long beach, ca?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:28 AM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
I had the regular seats in my c2s and hated them...they dont hold u in place at all when driving fast...was a big reason i got rid of the c2s, i was always unhappy with the seats..went looking for sport seats in cocoa to match the interior and couldnt find them....and new they are a ridiculous amount. I have sport seats in my gt3 but not the sport adaptive, and i like them much much more than the regular seats...side bolsters help alot.

assuming you drive fast since you are coming from a gt3...i will tell u that the comfort seats will not due, you will be struggling to stay in position if u ever start going around some twisties fast....my knees got sore from holding them against the door and center console

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 09-14-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:08 AM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
I had the regular seats in my c2s and hated them...they dont hold u in place at all when driving fast...was a big reason i got rid of the c2s, i was always unhappy with the seats..went looking for sport seats in cocoa to match the interior and couldnt find them....and new they are a ridiculous amount. I have sport seats in my gt3 but not the sport adaptive, and i like them much much more than the regular seats...side bolsters help alot.

assuming you drive fast since you are coming from a gt3...i will tell u that the comfort seats will not due, you will be struggling to stay in position if u ever start going around some twisties fast....my knees got sore from holding them against the door and center console

I'm with you guys. I just traded a C2S with standard seats for a Turbo S with the adaptive sports seats. They are essential for sporty driving - and comfort IMO. The standard 911 seat lacks lateral support.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i love my adaptive sport seats and wouldnt consider the car without them

Old 09-14-2010, 05:48 AM
beepbeep is on a distinguished road
I liked the ventilated seats on my first Turbo, particularly in the first fifteen minutes of a hot day. I then got the adaptive sport seats on a Turbo S. They feel better. I'm 6 foot and 210 and I still run the bolsters almost all the way in. Very comfortable. After a few weeks, I didn't miss the ventilation and really hadn't even thought about missing it. If I were buying again, the sport adaptive would be my choice, though if ventilation were an available option, I'd add that too.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Agreed. My local dealer has 3 turbo s in stock and all have the comfort seats. I sat in them and to ME they are not comfortable. Im only 5' 8" but my shoulders felt cramped on those seats. Adaptive Sport are the way to do and I believe "S" orders would have to cancel those in favor of the comfort seats in order to allow for seat ventilation (mentioned above) which is not available on the Sport Seats. But I would be totally willing to give up ventilation for the added feel and "comfort" of the sport seats. The other pieces of the car are more easily $ changeable, but it is a hard thing to swallow buying such a piece and immediately needing to change things that aren't necessary and fun "mods."
D

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I just purchased this 2011 TS, I'm a bit concerned I'll hate the.....