997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rain & Shine at LS with RE-11s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Fantastic! I'm glad you were able to find some useful information in all the babble.

Remember with the R6's you were able to brake later and harder as well...maybe you were pulling some increased G's under braking and through the turns that your body hasn't been exposed to before.

Did you end-up driving to the track with them mounted? What sizes did you go with?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Think I'll re-post the write-up so everything is on the top of this page to prevent the long scrolling and image loading to get to the latest content from page 5.

Rain & More Rain on RE-11's (11.20. 2011)

Well our season has finally ended much the same way it started, COLD & WET, only colder and much wetter. High of 46º and non stop rain and standing water, it was miserable to say the least.

My first lap out at a snails pace I spun and lost it three times! It was like driving on ice. The water was deep and the temps were cold, thus I couldn't get any heat into the tires or the brakes. Essentially I had no grip and no brakes it was very scary. I sat out the next session, and then tried it one more time after lunch. Same results, only this time I persevered and stayed out for the full session to see if things would get better if I kept circling...not the case....very unpredictable vehicle behavior which did absolutely nothing for my confidence.

Several other drivers were experiencing the exact same feeling/characteristics and didn't bother going again. However, there were many doing quite well and able to carry some speed. So I'm not sure if it was me, too cold for the tires, too much standing water, tires too old/too many cycles, or too much torque initiating wheel spin and lost of control. Definitely a very frustrating day and the first time I have ever packed-up early to head home. I think I could have gone faster in my F-250 quad cab long bed diesel! It was pathetic.

I have only seen the traction control light come on three times since I have owned this vehicle. Yesterday it seemed like it was stuck on 80% of the time on every lap. I have had some great rain days this year...its an awd car after all. Yesterday my tires felt like steel wheels on ice...just crazy.

Well I just snapped some pictures of my tires...hmm pretty much slicks at least the rears...oh well it was still a great year!

LEFT REAR:

RIGHT FRONT TIRE: Doesn't look that bad?

Sorry for the duplicate posting but this will make viewing the lastest info quicker for the new or returning viewers.

Cheers, VID997

Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
I did drive to track which is pretty close to home, i went with the 295/30/19 in the rear but don't like the way they don't fill the wheel well & think i might try the 315/30/19 next time.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 PM
11 inch rim correct? How does the sidewall look, stretched or straight. If stretched then maybe you could try the 315's. If straight or bowing over....I'd stick with the 295's and throw on some 7mm or 15mm spacers. I'm actually running 7mm's with my 12 inch wheels.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Yes 11" rears i'll have to look a little closer to if there straight or not but they don't need to be pushed out anymore they just don't look tall enough in the rear,i do have some spacers already & titanium bolts.

Attached Images    

Last edited by twturbo; 11-21-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 AM
wow...

Random post: Music pick for the day Neil Diamond (Solitary Man). I must be getting old....but give it a listen...its really good. Chris Isaak does a good job with the lyrics as well.

Other musical highlights "Radical Face". This guy is in his twenties and records/produces everything in his mother's tool shed...in Florida...crazy talent.

Last edited by VID997; 12-08-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Out with the Old and in with the New:

Well after 8 or 9 track days and roughly 10,000 miles my RE-11's finally corded. Since my last outing toward the end of November, I really haven't used the car much at all due to a hectic work load, travel schedule, not to mention Thanksgiving, X-mas, and New Years thrown in to the mix its just a crazy time of the year to say the least. I'm lucky if I put two tanks of gas in her (+/- 400 miles total).

I couldn't resist purchasing another set of RE-11's. For the price, longevity, and overall track & DD performance. I'd have to rate these as the 'Smart Money" option. I've had set of MPSCUP's, MPSCUP's N1's, Pirelli PZero Rosso, RE-11's, and Hoosiers R6's. Also put a set of RE050A's on my wife's 993, just an incredible street tire for her needs, which sold me on trying a set for my TT.

I came very close to getting the MPSS just to try them out but noticed the UTQG rating was 300 versus the RE's which have a 180 rating. Thought about trying to arrange a set R888's as well. However, like last year, they are out of stock (UTQG rating of 100). I would eventually like to mount-up a set. Maybe next time???

If anyone has a fair amount of track days on the MPSS or R888's, I would like to hear your impression and what you are comparing them to.

So far looks like March will be my first outing for the year at Laguna. I have 4 tentative LS dates for 2012. I hope they will be dry. My 2011 LS dates were very wet and I only got to break out the R6's for a session and a half. Also Laguna was the only track I attended last year where I was unable to improve my lap times over the 2010 season. Hopefully this year I can break into the 1:39's.

Random Music: Chris Cornell Song Book, "The Keeper"

Enjoy your weekend!
Cheers,
VID997

PS: Is anyone else experiencing "...Loadus.com..." issues on this site....ie: pages won't load or take for ever to do so? See image below and load bar hang up:

I have a few winter projects planed before spring....

Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Good god Darin you really let those tires get too close to failure.

Sorry we couldn't hook up over the holidays. This months issue of 9Magazine has an article on my car. Pick up a copy if you can.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
I currently run RE-11's and like them quite a bit but after ~8,000 miles and about a season worth of DE's they are ready for replacement. How would you compare the RE-11 to the Sport Cups in terms of track performance? Thanks,

Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Good god Darin you really let those tires get too close to failure.

Sorry we couldn't hook up over the holidays. This months issue of 9Magazine has an article on my car. Pick up a copy if you can.

Yes, I'd say those getting somewhat close to failure. I've had metal cords break through on a few sets...I think that's when you are really starting to playing with disaster! Kind of crazy how quickly they go. The pictures further up on this page were taken maybe 300 miles prior. I just happen to approach my car from the rear. I was slightly downhill and sun was hitting it just right for me to notice a grey stripe on the inside. A closer look told me all I needed to know.

Very cool on 9Magazine...congratulations! I'll have to try and find a copy.

Have you tried R888's yet?

I'll keep you posted on potential travels east.

Cheers

Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
I currently run RE-11's and like them quite a bit but after ~8,000 miles and about a season worth of DE's they are ready for replacement. How would you compare the RE-11 to the Sport Cups in terms of track performance? Thanks,

I fail to see what all the hype is surround MPSCUP's. I think people see that they come stock on GT3/RS's, therefore feel they must be the best tire out there. IMHO they are completely over priced and don't last for diddlely, whether for DD, DE, or aggressive 30 minutes track sessions (they heat up and get greasy too soon). Maybe they can last longer on a lighter vehicle with less power and that is two drive vs 4 wheel.?.

I just don't feel they are the best fit for the turbos. Etchhead (996TT) just went through a set with only 5 DE days and with minimal DD'ing. He wasn't very pleased with their performance or the ride quality at all. I actually did faster times at Laguna on a set Pirelli PZero Rosso over the CUP's. My CUP's might have been too old, dead, or cycled out, but I just never had any luck with them. I also experienced a lot of understeer early in session runs (cold) and then oversteer exiting corners around the 20 minute mark (hot).

I think if you bought a set with a fresh manufactured date you might experience one or two "wow" moments or sessions, but once they're done and you need new tires you will look back on your RE-11 experience and kick yourself for not getting another set.

Let me know what you decide to do. If you really want to experience something special, try a set Hoosier R6...they completely transform our vehicles.

Last edited by VID997; 01-15-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
love my re-11s, today in nY I could have posted a quick boost vid of RE-11s in the rain shine and even flurries'

Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Let me know what you decide to do. If you really want to experience something special, try a set Hoosier R6...they completely transform our vehicle.....

Thanks for your reply. My situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that I drive 200+ miles each way to the track, go over two high mountain passes where the weather can get quite adverse any time of the year and really don't have a practical way to transport a dedicated set of track tires/wheels. There are no self storage facilities within 20 - 50 miles of the track so that eliminates leaving a set of slicks in the neighborhood and I've resisted the idea of getting one of those little trailer thingys and putting a hitch on the TT. That said, I'd like to have the best performing tire for the track recognizing those limitations so perhaps the RE-11 is the best alternative short of buying a truck and trailer and hauling the car everywhere. Somehow I think that might be a rather expensive and inelegant solution to this problem. At least I"m sure that's what the Mrs. would think! Maybe I need to rethink the trailer thingy thing again......

PS Re: Hoosier R6; Since they are not manufactured in a 305/30 19 is the 295/30 19 the way to go or does one step up to the 315/30 19? Are there any issues with with changing sizes and compatibility with the awd system in a TT? Also, assuming they heat cycle out in ~ 10 sessions, that equates to less than 3 DE days. Not sure the bank account can afford to go through > $1,000 worth of tires in a DE weekend although I"m sure they would be a hoot to try. Thanks

Last edited by Steamboat; 01-15-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM
^^^Steamboat:

Given the hefty commute to the track I would definitely avoid MPSCUP's. You'll burn through them way too quickly just commuting and DD'ing. If you were happy with the 8K you got out of your RE's stick with them. If you would like to find a tire option with a little more life. I would suggest trying the Super Sports, they have a rating of 300 which should yield considerably higher milage. Might lose a little performance/grip at the track although some members have written favorable reviews as far a track performance with SS's. When I checked on the pricing they were only $200 or so more than the RE's and $400-$600 less than the CUP's.

Yea, I can't do the "trailer thingy" either, have considered it though. I like being self sufficient. A real trailer might be an option for me in the near future...just not sure if I really want to go there yet.

See post #78 above regarding R6's 295/30's. TWTurbo went with that size on 11.0" wheels which seems like it should be correct size. He thought they looked a bit small on the rim. I went with 315's, but on a 12.0" wheel. I might try 325 next time around. However, I've heard the 325's can produce more understeer if sticking with 235's up front. Grip and power is all one big balancing act. I wish they would make 245's! Although I must say with 7mm spacers all the way around and R6's 235F/315R my car stuck and performed magically without any push (understeer).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to burn through my R6's yet to give a accurate life rating review. Had too many rain days and logistical issues finding transportation for my track wheels.

Last edited by VID997; 01-15-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by salerno713
love my re-11s, today in nY I could have posted a quick boost vid of RE-11s in the rain shine and even flurries'
Let's see some action shots in the white stuff!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rain & Shine at LS with RE-11s