997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

VGT Turbo tech info/pin connector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 PM
bratboy_y2k is on a distinguished road
VGT Turbo tech info/pin connector

Hi folks, I am looking at ysing one of the turbos for another application. Does anybody out there have the tech info on the connector pinouts as in what they are for, input info?

Old 08-13-2011, 01:23 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
It will cost you double or triple the price of an aftermarket turbo, plus it will be very difficult if not impossible to control the VTG system

Old 08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
bratboy_y2k is on a distinguished road
Yes and no. It is an expensive turbo but cost is relative. Not to mention that I found a new unit for a very good price. The second point is that there are people that have constructed vgt turbo contollers for BorgWarner units. They can be adapted to a variety of applications. I ask for the tech information to confirm that the voltages and other details will conform.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 PM
zazzn is on a distinguished road
I'd like to second this request, is there anyone at all that has a pinout of this and how the factory controller is controlled? PWM, another method ect?

I'm looking in to starting a new project for my 94 supra, and I've been thinking of re-wheeled billet VGT twins. Since supra's usually replace ECM's with after market units (mine included) controlling shouldn't be extremely hard. I've been seeing that others sell standalone controllers using Raspberry PI's or other devices.

I realize there maybe more cost effective solutions, but I'm not here to ask for those solutions, just someone to point me to an on-line electrical manual or pinout of the VGT turbos.

The Porsche equivalent of a Toyota EWD (electronic wiring diagram)

Old 08-30-2015, 11:17 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
the vtg controllers are canbus, need more than just pwm to control them properly

Old 08-31-2015, 12:52 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by itguy
the vtg controllers are canbus, need more than just pwm to control them properly
Nope. Just the PWM is required.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !

This is the 4 wire connector pinout on the VTG controller.

Standard PWM frequency is around 250hz.

Hope this helps.

Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Normal operating % is between 20 and 80. It's up to you -more or less but trial and error- how to create the map. Which setting for cruise, how to ramp up the boost etc. Also controller capability and properties have big influence. It would be nice to have an auxiliary map for TPS to close vanes when throttle is wide open until the desired boost is achieved.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:31 AM
zazzn is on a distinguished road
Thanks very very much mich.