997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 vs 997.1 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Regarding BT and PCMs...
One of the first upgrades I did on mine was update with the Dension unit. Last year I changed to the AVIC-8100NEX.
Seriously, I would highly recommend it to everyone. The 997.2 PCM system is antiquated compared to this.
Apple car play - I have no idea how I even lived without it. Full voice activation for everything also means I can get rid of the multi-functional steering wheel
Boys, seriously, I highly recommend ditching the OEM PCM2 and PCM3. Those are only good as door stops IMHO.
...and you can watch netflix on this too
Not that I do, but its cool that you can!
Very nice but do you lose some settings done through PCM such as light, wiper, climate, etc.? The climate setting sets the default temperature every time you turn on car - what happens to that setting now?

Old 03-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cannga
Very nice but do you lose some settings done through PCM such as light, wiper, climate, etc.? The climate setting sets the default temperature every time you turn on car - what happens to that setting now?
Cant say i can answer this but sounds like a PCM 3/997.2 thing. These arent on the .1 as far as i know.

On the .1 the only thing you lose is fad/balance for speakers so you set those before uninstall.

The .2 in 6mt is far more rare than .1 in 6mt as stated above. Might be hard to find.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:34 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Yogi911
Cant say i can answer this but sounds like a PCM 3/997.2 thing. These arent on the .1 as far as i know.

On the .1 the only thing you lose is fad/balance for speakers so you set those before uninstall.
This is for my 997.1 2008 Turbo with older PCM (not PCM 3). Under "Main" then "Setup," you have various options for 4 functions IIRC: light, wiper, climate, doors.

For me, none is *that* important except for "climate" setting, as this sets the default temperature setting when you start car. Just curious what happens to this setting when you remove PCM.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Luxembourger is on a distinguished road
subscribed

Old 03-16-2016, 07:21 PM
mpaulk98 is on a distinguished road
Mine defaults to 70 degrees upon start up.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by mpaulk98
Mine defaults to 70 degrees upon start up.
Thanks. 70 is a perfect default temp. What about default mode (Auto?) and default fan speed (mid level) on start-up? If above is the case then I don't see much problem with taking out PCM.

I assume you've replaced your PCM with after-market unit? Do you miss any function at all from original PCM as far as daily usage of the car?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:28 AM
mpaulk98 is on a distinguished road
Thanks. 70 is a perfect default temp. What about default mode (Auto?) and default fan speed (mid level) on start-up? If above is the case then I don't see much problem with taking out PCM.

I assume you've replaced your PCM with after-market unit? Do you miss any function at all from original PCM as far as daily usage of the car?
The fan goes to mid range and on auto. I have the 8100 nex. It is great, no problems with the steerng wheel controls or anything else that I am aware of. It brings the cars electronics up todate in my opinion.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:09 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
This is for my 997.1 2008 Turbo with older PCM (not PCM 3). Under "Main" then "Setup," you have various options for 4 functions IIRC: light, wiper, climate, doors.

For me, none is *that* important except for "climate" setting, as this sets the default temperature setting when you start car. Just curious what happens to this setting when you remove PCM.
All my settings remained as they were originally programmed.
Never had any reason to re-adjust, but would think that if you really wanted to, you could take it to your porsche dealer and use the PIWIS tool. On that note, wonder if you could do it with thi an ODB 2 cable... next time I have it with me in the garage, I'll check.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Tom of Champion was talking about the internals of 997.2 Turbo engine and mentioned restriction of fuel system and rods testing 25% weaker. What crossed my mind reading his post is...what *ELSE* is weaker in the 997.2 engine?

FYI I use Champion for almost everything but, AMS has said the the rods on a 991 are stronger than on the .2 there are stock motor 991 running around that are putting down 800whp. Some are running 150 shot NOS with no problems yet. Top speed in the 1/2 mile is 175 on one of these cars and another is running 9.39 1/4 mile all on stock internals. So I know the Metzger Engine is awesome, the new one is showing great potential as well.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by pureporsche
All my settings remained as they were originally programmed.
Never had any reason to re-adjust, but would think that if you really wanted to, you could take it to your porsche dealer and use the PIWIS tool. On that note, wonder if you could do it with thi an ODB 2 cable... next time I have it with me in the garage, I'll check.
Hi, thanks for the update. This makes it a GREAT alternative to the stock unit.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Markblackwell
Tom of Champion was talking about the internals of 997.2 Turbo engine and mentioned restriction of fuel system and rods testing 25% weaker. What crossed my mind reading his post is...what *ELSE* is weaker in the 997.2 engine?

FYI I use Champion for almost everything but, AMS has said the the rods on a 991 are stronger than on the .2 there are stock motor 991 running around that are putting down 800whp. Some are running 150 shot NOS with no problems yet. Top speed in the 1/2 mile is 175 on one of these cars and another is running 9.39 1/4 mile all on stock internals. So I know the Metzger Engine is awesome, the new one is showing great potential as well.
Thanks for the info. Very jealous of your 991!

Last edited by cannga; 03-18-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:31 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
I just started reading this thread and I'm on page 3 so far, but I'm going to go ahead and subscribe.

Interesting how info and views change over time from 2011...Can't wait to read more.

FTR, I LOVE my 997.2 TTS and my PCCB's!

Old 02-18-2019, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Big Swole
I just started reading this thread and I'm on page 3 so far, but I'm going to go ahead and subscribe.

Interesting how info and views change over time from 2011...Can't wait to read more.

FTR, I LOVE my 997.2 TTS and my PCCB's!
Bottom line: ALL 911's are great, great cars. I would be happy to have any of them (well maybe not the 996 - I can't take the headlight LOL).
One key advantage of PDK: minimal loss of boost during shift (versus a manual where boost drops with each shift). I've driven a PDK Turbo - so fast in low (1st-2nd-3rd) gears as to be frightening.