997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Definitive Guide to Pinning Coolant Pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Mitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of light
Definitive Guide to Pinning Coolant Pipes

Guys,
So I'm about to embark on a journey of dropping the engine; there will be quite a few questions along the way, however I plan to document most of what I can; Hopefully mirror 'rock' in his DIY guides

First step, Give me some guidance on the Coolant pipes...

Yes, I'm aware there are about 100 threads on this at the moment, I'm hoping to gather some correct information here prior to starting; then I can both use this thread to post my document, as well as maybe do it right so I'm not spreading lies...

Ok,

First off, People 'pin' the tubes, is there a clear set of pictures that show their location on the 997TT (there are many for the GT3, and 996)

Will removal of the coolant pipes be required, or can you pin them on the engine, (I know there are even ways to do it in the car, but I'm wondering about the easiest overall way)

If you remove the coolant manifolds, are there gaskets or other dealer sourced items I need?

Many suggest doing the '3 plastic angle' pieces, so I intend to tackle this as well... Any special tools required?

Lastly, Has anyone taken the old tubes out, cleaned them and epoxied them back in, THEN did the pinning procedure? none of my fittings leak so I think I can escape this.

Stay Tuned for the DIY, all of this should be completed by May, so I hope to get them drafted by then.

Please do not post guides or pictures that aren't related to the turbo...
The GT3 does have a different number of pipes I believe..
Trust me, I've read almost every guide out there

Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
took my old fittings out , cleaned them scuffed them then had them welded in. pressure testing found a single pin hole out the 8 fittings. cleaned and rewarded the pinhole not a drop leaked since.
to me epoxy is just another form of glue in time it too will fail. welding is forever

Old 02-19-2015, 07:28 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Good deal Mitchy! Thanks for the contribution. I sent you a PM with some information that should help you a bit with getting your engine dropped.

Look forward to seeing your progress! Good luck.

DC

Old 02-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Mitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks 'Rock.
That info should help greatly.

I agree with welding, but to be honest, I live on the edge of Canada; Not to give in to the Canadian 'we have nothing' But good welding facilities are hard to come by...
I'm still in the prep stages, however right now I can't see anyone that I'd put faith in with welding it.

Although all avenues will be looked at once I size up what is to be done.

Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:57 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Mitchy! Same boat, Next few weeks though. I can post Photos on my progress if you would like. My car is a 997.1 turbo. I'm also welding. From my research, this is probably the only correct way of dealing with this issue as long as you find a great TIG welder!

I guess you also track!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
if you have the downtime you can send all the pieces to gmg motorsports and they will weld every fitting and ship them back.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:15 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
What do they charge?

Old 02-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Elite, Let me know how it goes.
Pictures would be great; do you intend to pin them yourself?

I've thought about sending them away, I do agree that welding is the 100% fix - if done right -

I'm just trying to minimize my cross-boarder shipments; Been getting hit hard this year in import fees!

Old 02-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Al Nunez
What do they charge?
you would need to call them and see i had my shop close to me do it

Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Good luck Mitchy! Where in Canada? I'm in the GTA - I'm going to get mine pinned this spring.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:56 AM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough
Here's all the pics the shop sent me when they welded mine. It's a 997.1 for reference. If done correctly welding is the permanent fix. With pinning, you will prevent catastrophic failure but it doesn't guarantee they will never leak.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Looks like they had replaced the three plastic elbows before? Looks like the sharkwerks elbows?

Old 02-22-2015, 09:12 PM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Al Nunez
Looks like they had replaced the three plastic elbows before? Looks like the sharkwerks elbows?
I wish I knew what I was looking at a little better, but as far as I know the new SS parts came from Sharkwerks. Everything was stock before the initial coolant leak.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 AM
Banned
I will be doing the same in about four months. I have had my share of work on this car and need a break. Hope they are replacing all of the rubber hoses. You seem to have it all done right so expect pretty much a solid car for sure after these mods. These cars have been plaqued by this cooling problem and it's just a matter of time. If I was in the market for one of these 07-09 now, I would be hesitant to buy unless i saw ducumentation addressing these problems.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:24 PM
strato58 is on a distinguished road
What is the cost to do this preventative maintenance?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Definitive Guide to Pinning Coolant Pipes