997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Driveshaft Guibo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Question Driveshaft Guibo

Hey fellas, my driveshaft rubber guibo (flex-disc) has some minor stress marks. Being that Porsche requires you buy a whole new $600.00 driveshaft just for that silly rubber piece; im contemplating on grabbing a mercedes guibo- being that I have a modded 722.xx benz trans, for only $100 dollars at the local dealer. Any high hp cars have this problem? My tech said it was because of my sticky tires (bridgestone re11s) and a little too much boost does it also he said.

Thanks-

Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Former Vendor
SpoolnV8 will become famous soon enough
Noticed the same on mine when I had my trans out for the clutch. I called the guys at Champion after finding out the DS needed to be purchased with it. ($600)
They said they never seen one fail before...

I was able to purchase a replacement for my Supra (Sticky tires, 140+k miles) never failed but replaced it for under $100

I was able to purchase one for a Merkur XR4ti (stock tires, Miles++, No power) That one split in half, was able to drive it home.

With all the custom parts avail for these cars im sure with enough demand, Champion, Vivid, or another board sponsor will get them made for us. Id replace mine for piece of mind.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SpoolnV8
Noticed the same on mine when I had my trans out for the clutch. I called the guys at Champion after finding out the DS needed to be purchased with it. ($600)
They said they never seen one fail before...

I was able to purchase a replacement for my Supra (Sticky tires, 140+k miles) never failed but replaced it for under $100

I was able to purchase one for a Merkur XR4ti (stock tires, Miles++, No power) That one split in half, was able to drive it home.

With all the custom parts avail for these cars im sure with enough demand, Champion, Vivid, or another board sponsor will get them made for us. Id replace mine for piece of mind.

Mine blew out once once...It was the rear passenger side cv joint...I had it replaced under warranty...I think all in all, the dealer charged approx $2600...They said they've never seen it happen before with such minimal miles...I lost all power and I could hear the drive shaft clunking around...Luckily, I just left my neighborhood and got a really good work out pushing the car home haha!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Guibos . . . When I had my Alfas those were an issue when you drive the transaxles cars hard on the track. They loved to break up and drop off at speed!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor
SpoolnV8 will become famous soon enough
Skeeter & Doc... Are you referring to the Universal joint on the driveshaft that goes to the front Differential?? Or the axles that go to each wheel?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Skeeter & Doc... Are you referring to the Universal joint on the driveshaft that goes to the front Differential?? Or the axles that go to each wheel?
Driveshaft, not the half shaft/axles.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
I was referring to the axle that goes to each wheel...

Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
lexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond repute
Are we talking about the 'cardian shaft' that runs to the front differential?

Item 8 in the pic bellow . . .

Old 06-23-2012, 04:59 PM
BaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant future
When is a vendor goin to make an aftermarket Guibo for these cars?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Yes, thanks for digging up my old thread; my Guibo is still in need.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
The driveshaft flex disc for the porsche 996 turbo can be purchased from www.koperformance.com in Miami FL. I do not know if the 997 one is the same. It is worth a look.
Part# 102539005-57
Price $70.97
888-581-1035<O</O

Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Bingo! Rep points to you Engineguy. The part seems to be the same for the 996/997s.. My tech was able to swap Flex disc in 20 minutes.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by salerno713
Bingo! Rep points to you Engineguy. The part seems to be the same for the 996/997s.. My tech was able to swap Flex disc in 20 minutes.

Glad I could help, the fix cost heaps if you go the Porsche want to sell you the whole thing route.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by salerno713
My car is in the shop getting gearshift cables changed and the mechanic called and told me the guibo is cracked. He's going to get the price next week but I'm glad I found this thread so that I have an alternate source if he quotes me for the whole driveshaft. Hmmmm...20 minutes? He said it is a 1.5hr job.

The darn thing is my car was at the dealer in November getting a bunch of warranty work done and no-one mentioned this thing. I haven't put on very much mileage since then so I suspect it was cracked then too. Warranty is now gone, oh well.

Oh and rep points to Engine guy!

Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Glad I could help, the fix cost heaps if you go the Porsche want to sell you the whole thing route.
Q. What is the symptom of a worn flex disc in operation? Also symptom of worn driveshaft/or half shaft, that is on the way out.....without visually inspecting?
Tks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Guibo