997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Purchasing Questions--Late Stage/DME & Fees

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 PM
SethW will become famous soon enough
Purchasing Questions--Late Stage/DME & Fees

I'm in the process of diligencing a car that meets 99% of my desires. Its located 1/2 way across the country. I'm doing the usual, DME and Paint Meter, Carfax etc.

1) DME. The dealer gave me the attached for the DME report. I've seen others and this is not what they looked like. Can you all confirm that there is no such thing as a car that has never, ever had a type 1 overrev?? The sales person has told me that there are "0 Overrevs" on this car. Is that even possible?

2) Fees. I'm paying cash from out of state. The dealer invoice is tacking on $240 for tax, title and license, as well as $179 for document fee, $259 for "Phantom FP" (not making that up) as well as $497 for "Dealer Services". I'm used to tax, title and license (but how in the hell is there TTL if I am out of state??). In any event, if anyone can weigh in on these fees, I would appreciate it.

3) Paint Meter. I am told that this dealer does not have a paint meter on site. Given that these cost less than $1k, how is this possible? Has anyone ever had pushback on this before?

Thanks so much to all of you in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
1: impossible. Get the printout. Probably means no type 5-6
2: I believe TTL should be paid in your state.
3: Dealers never have paint meters. Indy shops and body shops would have them.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
1: impossible. Get the printout. Probably means no type 5-6
2: I believe TTL should be paid in your state.
3: Dealers never have paint meters. Indy shops and body shops would have them.
Thanks. How does a dealer value a trade if it cannot put a meter on the paint and know if 1/2 the car has been sprayed? Are these guys that good that they can spot it with the naked eye?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:14 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
you
Originally Posted by SethW
Thanks. How does a dealer value a trade if it cannot put a meter on the paint and know if 1/2 the car has been sprayed? Are these guys that good that they can spot it with the naked eye?
Probably b/c they don't care if it's been resprayed. If they can't tell, they figure you can't, so what's the difference. Are you getting the PPI at the same dealer that's trying to sell you the car?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
1)-Verify the mileage with the ECU engine hours ?

2)- If i was you, i would try to lower the price of the car atleast by $2000-$3000 and will not pay any fees other than $179 document fees ?

3)- The dealer has to give you the paint meter reading or else tell them you are pasing on the car. If they don't have the meter, i am sure their body shop does.

4)- If they don't provide you with the meter reading tell them you want their EXPERT USED CAR MANAGER to write you a statement that " none of the panels including the bumpers have any paint work done to them "

So what ever you do, never buy a car with out having the paint meter reading.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
you

Probably b/c they don't care if it's been resprayed. If they can't tell, they figure you can't, so what's the difference. Are you getting the PPI at the same dealer that's trying to sell you the car?
Porsche cant CPO a car if more than 2 body panels have paint work. They have to know. The car I'm looking at is a CPO from a dealer, hence I'm asking for objective evidence of paint and DME.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by quick
1)-Verify the mileage with the ECU engine hours ?

2)- If i was you, i would try to lower the price of the car atleast by $2000-$3000 and will not pay any fees other than $179 document fees ?

3)- The dealer has to give you the paint meter reading or else tell them you are pasing on the car. If they don't have the meter, i am sure their body shop does.

4)- If they don't provide you with the meter reading tell them you want their EXPERT USED CAR MANAGER to write you a statement that " none of the panels including the bumpers have any paint work done to them "

So what ever you do, never buy a car with out having the paint meter reading.
I've negotiated the car several thousand below ask. Its still high market price, but its a rare car in terms of color and options. I totally hear you on the paint issue. Thanks for giving me perspective that I was not crazy.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
I've negotiated the car several thousand below ask. Its still high market price, but its a rare car in terms of color and options. I totally hear you on the paint issue. Thanks for giving me perspective that I was not crazy.
Nice choices... just got my 997.1 loaded with CPO a month ago. Also have a 335i but wife is pushing for an upgrade to an M3

Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
I'm in the process of diligencing a car that meets 99% of my desires. Its located 1/2 way across the country. I'm doing the usual, DME and Paint Meter, Carfax etc.

1) DME. The dealer gave me the attached for the DME report. I've seen others and this is not what they looked like. Can you all confirm that there is no such thing as a car that has never, ever had a type 1 overrev?? The sales person has told me that there are "0 Overrevs" on this car. Is that even possible?

2) Fees. I'm paying cash from out of state. The dealer invoice is tacking on $240 for tax, title and license, as well as $179 for document fee, $259 for "Phantom FP" (not making that up) as well as $497 for "Dealer Services". I'm used to tax, title and license (but how in the hell is there TTL if I am out of state??). In any event, if anyone can weigh in on these fees, I would appreciate it.

3) Paint Meter. I am told that this dealer does not have a paint meter on site. Given that these cost less than $1k, how is this possible? Has anyone ever had pushback on this before?

Thanks so much to all of you in advance.
Seth-

Great looking car you found. I hope it all works out for you.

1) DME report should look like this

2007 911 Turbo DME Report 5-18-2011 .pdf

I would find it very hard to believe that this car with 30k miles doesn't have any over revs in any range. Push the dealer for the proper report.

2) $240 for tax, title and license IMO should not apply unless they are doing the registration paperwork. The other fees seem to be profit to the dealer no matter what it's called. Even if you are doing the reg the dealer will have some paperwork to do and it's up to you how hard you would to push the issue and what kind of "deal" you are getting on the car.

3) As to the paint meter, in my experience most dealers have them. I have been in and out of over 15 cars in the last 7 years and the majority of the when I trade the dealer will take the VIN, open the hood and doors and check for over-spray, etc and meter the car. When I purchased my X5 (from a Land Rover dealer) the rear hatch was a little off and I knew sometimes they get out of spec but I asked for a paint meter to double check myself even though the manager told me he personally metered the car. They gave me the meter and I confirmed the depth. I would find it strange that the dealer doesn't have a meter but I guess it is possible.

Either way, are you doing a PPI? This would eliminate any paint issues, etc. Although you are buying from a P dealer, most here would recommond a PPI from a neutral party.

G/L with your deal......

Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Michael_s
Seth-

Great looking car you found. I hope it all works out for you.

1) DME report should look like this

Attachment 167130

I would find it very hard to believe that this car with 30k miles doesn't have any over revs in any range. Push the dealer for the proper report.

2) $240 for tax, title and license IMO should not apply unless they are doing the registration paperwork. The other fees seem to be profit to the dealer no matter what it's called. Even if you are doing the reg the dealer will have some paperwork to do and it's up to you how hard you would to push the issue and what kind of "deal" you are getting on the car.

3) As to the paint meter, in my experience most dealers have them. I have been in and out of over 15 cars in the last 7 years and the majority of the when I trade the dealer will take the VIN, open the hood and doors and check for over-spray, etc and meter the car. When I purchased my X5 (from a Land Rover dealer) the rear hatch was a little off and I knew sometimes they get out of spec but I asked for a paint meter to double check myself even though the manager told me he personally metered the car. They gave me the meter and I confirmed the depth. I would find it strange that the dealer doesn't have a meter but I guess it is possible.

Either way, are you doing a PPI? This would eliminate any paint issues, etc. Although you are buying from a P dealer, most here would recommond a PPI from a neutral party.

G/L with your deal......
Thanks, Michael. I appreciate your perspective and experience here. I've actually been told via an email late last night that the dealer has "new computers" and that the DME you attached "does not print that way". I think this is total BS.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Thanks, Michael. I appreciate your perspective and experience here. I've actually been told via an email late last night that the dealer has "new computers" and that the DME you attached "does not print that way". I think this is total BS.
I would be very weary about this information and moving forward until you can confirm. Will they let you take the car to another dealer for the PPI that can run a proper DME with the information you seek?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Seth,

If you are not too keen on the white color, i would suggest look no further and ask Michael_s ( ^ ) about his gorgeous car that he has for sale ( Great color, low mileage, well optioned, CPO TT that has passed the paint meter and the DME report)

later

Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by quick
Seth,

If you are not too keen on the white color, i would suggest look no further and ask Michael_s ( ^ ) about his gorgeous car that he has for sale ( Great color, low mileage, well optioned, CPO TT that has passed the paint meter and the DME report)

later

^ You don't know how funny this is. Seth and I tried to come to terms and it didn't work out. Nothing but good things to say about Seth and it has nothing to do with the buyer or the car.

Appreciate your thought, however my car is no longer available....

Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I had a dealer here in Houston (Porsche West) give me all sorts of BS when I asked for a DME report. Computer is down and then the printer is broken. I just moved on. Glad I did. Way to many bad stories about that dealership.
Phantom FP is some BS windshield protectant they put on at Porsche West.

Last edited by function12; 01-10-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by function12
I had a dealer here in Houston (Porsche West) give me all sorts of BS when I asked for a DME report. Computer is down and then the printer is broken. I just moved on. Glad I did. Way to many bad stories about that dealership.
Phantom FP is some BS windshield protectant they put on at Porsche West.
I bought from North Houston and they had the DME report already available for interested buyers.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 01-10-2012 at 11:36 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Purchasing Questions--Late Stage/DME & Fees