997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Power Kits? What works and is not overated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Mikkofin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Champion Motorsport Power kit

Do you guys really think this is worth it for the price? i think there is a lot of parts that are very $$$$ and you don't really need them... (please correct me if i'm wrong)

- Werks1 Carbon Fiber Airbox
- Werks1 Carbon Fiber Y-Pipe
- Werks1 Carbon Fiber Plenum

This 3 parts are about $6000 and i don't really think they do much...
My thoughts exactly when I read thru the parts list.
Adds "bling" of course but do they have any other purpose.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:09 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I have been very pleased with my Champion set-up not to mention the on going support by CMS as well as additional support provided by GIAC. GIAC has the complete history and build on my car and have adjusted my maps accordingly as I have upgraded performance & components over time. Currently I have a unique CMS build and GIAC has been able to adjust the map to make it all work. All this has been accomplished while I purchased my vehicle in FL, live in NoCal, and GIAG is in SoCal. When new maps/tunes have been required, I have only been down 24 to 72 hours max. Customer service by both have been absolutely phenomenal.

As far as cost, it just really depends on your end goals. As Leo997TT ask (to paraphrase), "do you really need them all"....that is the question you need to ask yourself and CMS when spec'ing your individual build, needs, wants, and desires.

Visit their facility, do a little research on their racing heritage, and then make your decision.

Best,
VID997

Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Mikkofin:

Y-pipe
Plenum
GT3 Throttle Body
BMC Filter

All aid in eliminating lag.... Highly recommend options....FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCE...although your flash will need to be adjusted accordingly.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
I have been very pleased with my Champion set-up not to mention the on going support by CMS as well as additional support provided by GIAC. GIAC has the complete history and build on my car and have adjusted my maps accordingly as I have upgraded performance & components over time. Currently I have a unique CMS build and GIAC has been able to adjust the map to make it all work. All this has been accomplished while I purchased my vehicle in FL, live in NoCal, and GIAG is in SoCal. When new maps/tunes have been required, I have only been down 24 to 72 hours max. Customer service by both have been absolutely phenomenal.

As far as cost, it just really depends on your end goals. As Leo997TT ask (to paraphrase), "do you really need them all"....that is the question you need to ask yourself and CMS when spec'ing your individual build, needs, wants, and desires.

Visit their facility, do a little research on their racing heritage, and then make your decision.

Best,
VID997
I'm glad to hear good things about it!

I was just saying because I know what most of the people in this forum think about this parts... I have the werks1 intake in my car and to be honest with you I don't really feel any differences, I think is the best way to waste $3500 (I'm glad that I bought it used and I already have it for sale because it didn't make any difference at all)

Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Mikkofin:

Y-pipe
Plenum
GT3 Throttle Body
BMC Filter

All aid in eliminating lag.... Highly recommend options....FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCE...although your flash will need to be adjusted accordingly.
I actually had the BMC filter in my car and I think is wayyy better than the Werks1 air intake and the most important part it only cost $250

I know some users that had the Plenum with the GT3 throttle body in their cars and they claim to be a big wasted of money...

To be honest I will go with the exhaust of my preference, some good intercoolers, bigger turbos and Softronic but that is just my opinion and I'm not an expert, there is a lot of people with a lot of knowledge in this forum and I apologize if I said something that is not true.

Last edited by LeoLambo; 04-28-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:37 AM
When you commit to a system, you are supported by that supplier. When you mix and match you become an island surrounded by finger pointers.....its no different then the corporate/business world the majority of live in.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
When you commit to a system, you are supported by that supplier. When you mix and match you become an island surrounded by finger pointers.....its no different then the corporate/business world the majority of live in.
Agree

Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 AM
^^^Cheers!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Mikkofin:

Y-pipe
Plenum
GT3 Throttle Body
BMC Filter

Already did consider the BMC filter (now running stock paper filter). Had one on my previous (stock, well, flashed 996tt).
I have the bigger throttle body, but the plenum and the Y pipe are stock items(EVT775 kit).

Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikkofin
Already did consider the BMC filter (now running stock paper filter). Had one on my previous (stock, well, flashed 996tt).
I have the bigger throttle body, but the plenum and the Y pipe are stock items(EVT775 kit).
Hrrrrm...my EVT775 has an IPD plenum...I thought it was part of the kit. No?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Hrrrrm...my EVT775 has an IPD plenum...I thought it was part of the kit. No?
Might be the fact that my kit was upgraded from EVT700 ---> EVT775 and the 775 upgrade includes only the larger throttle body.
I need to double check this though if mine has the plenum or not.

E: I double checked and I do have the IPD plenum installed as well...

Last edited by Mikkofin; 04-29-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 PM
giadomi is on a distinguished road
I have Champions full 68mm kit and would highly recommend it. They are true professionals and the customer support is the best!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Originally Posted by giadomi
I have Champions full 68mm kit and would highly recommend it. They are true professionals and the customer support is the best!
I know they are good and professional but i still think that the "power kit" is a big wasted... it will be a big saving if you buy the turbos, inter-coolers, exhaust and tune separate.

They are another big dealer and as a big business they wanna make big profits (that's why business are business) and that's why they try to sale you a lot of parts that don't work.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by giadomi
tip or 6speed? Any pbox numbers on pump gas? I'm seriously considering the 68s. Apart from KerCar's numbers there have been very few pbox results posted. Everyone that "promises" to post numbers seems to disappear or sell the car (Slow68, Arone), lol.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1
Great replies
Thomas, I think you have seen more kits go through the dyno then most. I like the Champion kit and am seriously considering it. Do you think (dyno results) are higher than most? Do the ratings that Champion claim meet what they are advertising? <O</O
The thing that is important to realize about the power kits is that you will be limited by your supporting hardware. With 68mm turbos and the proper supporting hardware, you will likely run into the limits of the motor and transmission before you run into the limits of the turbo. With the proper supporting hardware, the CMS 68mm turbos do meet their dyno and performance claims.

The nice thing about those turbos is that you can start with just the turbos and build the supporting modifications around them. For example, here is a customer who installed only the turbos (stock inlets) with 997.2 intercoolers. This car is also a tiptronic with a factory transmission (only has our TCU flash). These numbers are very high compared to what we typically see on our dyno (Mustang). For comparison, this car runs mid to high 6's in the 60-130.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power Kits? What works and is not overated?