997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Power Kits? What works and is not overated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Power Kits? What works and is not overated?

I will be investing in a power kit this summer for my 997.1 TT. I currently have the Europipe stage 2 exhaust. What power kit truly gives a reliable and powerful result? Cost is not much of a concern but, I would like to install it myself. I am currently awaiting a Max Jax 2 kit to be delivered. I get too nervous under a car!<O</O

Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
There's lots of options. Depends what your goals are and the intended use.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
I just got my car back after an engine rebuild. I'm currently breaking it in so no dyno quite yet. I'm running the Evoms EVT700 kit plus a few extra things (build motor, 3.8L, IPD comp plenum + GT3 TB). It's still running the EVT700 tune though.

Anyway, it is awesome. My only advice is to pick one tuner and buy their entire kit. I had a lot of issues by mixing parts in the beginning and, long story short, ended up rebuying parts. Not fun...and not cheap.

Good call on the Jax. Safety first!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Thanks yumaverick. My goals are acceleration. I currently don’t take the car to the track however though, I may consider this in the future after some suspension upgrades.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Hey seattle bum, what are your thought on the Evo evt775? Also, did you install the kit you have yourself?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
I'm pretty much just a couple simple mods away from the evt775 (plus reflash). I may do it some day. Kinda just trying to recoup from the enormous cost of having to rebuild the motor (threw a connecting rod bearing) on top of the evt700 mods. There is so much power there right now that I think driving the road course would be pretty scary (at my skill level). Drag racing or rolling pulls are fun. Scaring the **** out of your friends is fun too!

I'm a dentist. I'm good at crowns. I use a mechanic cuz that's what they're good at. I used to change my own fluids and do things like exhaust installs. Nothing too complicated. I'm just at that stage where I'd rather do something else with my time. Besides, helps the economy to spread it around

Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Seattle Bum, you are a dentist? Funny, I am well kind of a digital Crown Maker. Formally know as a Dental Technician. I really know crowns! I agree with helping the American economy but, I still would like to fully understand the things I spend money on whether car related or investments.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Was at AWE’s website and they state “As tested, our 750R package will outrun a Ferrari 599, Porsche Carrera GT, or Murcielago LP 640 from 0-60 and also in the quarter mile...” Sounds good until one of those cars change their air filters for a K&N air filter. AWE seems to not overrate and most reviews illustrate a very positive and reliable result. During my research I have found that Vivid racing has the highest power kit available and has dyno videos to help back it up. Anyone install one of these kits?i<O</O

Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
What fuel are you looking to run? 91, 100, E85, C16? Theres a lot of good tuners and companies out there; Champion, Protomotive, Switzer. Go with a full VTG Kit. 5.9-6.1 60-130 probably. You can go bigger, but your going to have to open up the motor then you get into the big bucks.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Got my Sachs 2.5 clutch from AWE. I would stay clear of the LWFW. Gonna put mine back to the OEM dual mass FW. This one rattles like crazy!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by elite1
Was at AWE’s website and they state “As tested, our 750R package will outrun a Ferrari 599, Porsche Carrera GT, or Murcielago LP 640 from 0-60 and also in the quarter mile...” Sounds good until one of those cars change their air filters for a K&N air filter. AWE seems to not overrate and most reviews illustrate a very positive and reliable result. During my research I have found that Vivid racing has the highest power kit available and has dyno videos to help back it up. Anyone install one of these kits?i<O</O
I havn't heard anything bad about them. I'm sure you can search the kit here on the forum and you will find some members that have it. PM them some questions you might have.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Seattle Bum, you are a dentist? Funny, I am well kind of a digital Crown Maker. Formally know as a Dental Technician. I really know crowns! I agree with helping the American economy but, I still would like to fully understand the things I spend money on whether car related or investments.
Haha, I do Cerec. Love digital crowns!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Yumaverick, I thought just getting to the motor was where you would spend the “big bucks” I realized this on my last task of changing the spark plugs. I am new to Porsche tuning though and would love to understand it and make right decisions the first time around. I would like to tune the car with pump gas if possible. I have access to higher octane in my area though. I could accommodate higher octane if necessary but would like the option to run on 91.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Smile

Cerec? I'm sorry. I can convert and do anything with your files though! Good to see that you have adapted to "digital impression taking!" time for some printed models though! let RP your scans!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Yumaverick, I thought just getting to the motor was where you would spend the “big bucks” I realized this on my last task of changing the spark plugs. I am new to Porsche tuning though and would love to understand it and make right decisions the first time around. I would like to tune the car with pump gas if possible. I have access to higher octane in my area though. I could accommodate higher octane if necessary but would like the option to run on 91.
Well if you do a GT30 kit your talking 25k plus install. Motor build another 20k probably. If you do a VTG kit probably 15k and intall. Pump gas will work and they can give you a race map and a pump map. Porsche tax is rough.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power Kits? What works and is not overated?