997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Power Kits? What works and is not overated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Champion Motorsport Power kit

- Champion Motorsport Exhaust Manifolds
- Champion Motorsport 65mm Billet VTG Turbochargers
- Champion Motorsport Intercooler Upgrade Kit
- Werks1 Carbon Fiber Y-Pipe
- Werks1 Carbon Fiber Plenum
- OEM Porsche GT3 82mm Throttle Body
- Werks1 Carbon Fiber Airbox
- Tubi Style "Street" Exhaust System -OR- Tubi Style "Race" Exhaust System
- 5 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Bosch High Performance Spark Plugs
- Custom GIAC Performance Software
- Complete Porsche Gasket & Hardware Kit

Total $26,025.00

Do you guys really think this is worth it for the price? i think there is a lot of parts that are very $$$$ and you don't really need them... (please correct me if i'm wrong)

- Werks1 Carbon Fiber Airbox
- Werks1 Carbon Fiber Y-Pipe
- Werks1 Carbon Fiber Plenum

This 3 parts are about $6000 and i don't really think they do much...
I bought my 08 with this kit installed. Interesting enough it did not come with the CF y-pipe or the CF plenum (I do have the CF airbox)

Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC
The thing that is important to realize about the power kits is that you will be limited by your supporting hardware. With 68mm turbos and the proper supporting hardware, you will likely run into the limits of the motor and transmission before you run into the limits of the turbo. With the proper supporting hardware, the CMS 68mm turbos do meet their dyno and performance claims.

The nice thing about those turbos is that you can start with just the turbos and build the supporting modifications around them. For example, here is a customer who installed only the turbos (stock inlets) with 997.2 intercoolers. This car is also a tiptronic with a factory transmission (only has our TCU flash). These numbers are very high compared to what we typically see on our dyno (Mustang). For comparison, this car runs mid to high 6's in the 60-130.

Thomas, what do you think the cause of the unusual number in this case? It is a great example of what is truly important for upgrades but, could one expect to see numbers like this on average? If not, what would cause them to be different?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
I know they are good and professional but i still think that the "power kit" is a big wasted... it will be a big saving if you buy the turbos, inter-coolers, exhaust and tune separate.

They are another big dealer and as a big business they wanna make big profits (that's why business are business) and that's why they try to sale you a lot of parts that don't work.
I kind of agree with you Leo but, what if a company advertises and stands behind their advertisement with true “end user dynos.” I would much rather invest in a kit that has a dyno track record of 700HP before I would invest in a kit that advertised 1000HP with no end users to back it up.

I believe that some company has done the proper leg work to make a pretty close to perfect kit. I understand that we all have different final objectives but, there has to be one that brings the engine to its most powerful potential. Suspension work would be second. I need to first understand why I would need it.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Forujames
I bought my 08 with this kit installed. Interesting enough it did not come with the CF y-pipe or the CF plenum (I do have the CF airbox)
Then your car doesn't have that power kit

Last edited by LeoLambo; 04-29-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1

I kind of agree with you Leo but, what if a company advertises and stands behind their advertisement with true “end user dynos.” I would much rather invest in a kit that has a dyno track record of 700HP before I would invest in a kit that advertised 1000HP with no end users to back it up.

I believe that some company has done the proper leg work to make a pretty close to perfect kit. I understand that we all have different final objectives but, there has to be one that brings the engine to its most powerful potential. Suspension work would be second. I need to first understand why I would need it.
I can't agree more with you! I will always go for the guy who has the best reviews even if he doesn't promise me as much as the others.

I know Champion is good! I just think there is a few things in their power kits that you don't really need but I'm not an expert by any mean so I will like someone with more knowledge to tell us his opinion about the plenum, ypipe, air box, headers

If you go on their website they tell you that you will get 30hp with the plenum and the Gt3 RS body throttle, I know a few guys in the forum that had it on their cars and they actually had to go back to the original parts because they had some problems and it didn't give them any power

Last edited by LeoLambo; 04-29-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
I can't agree more with you! I will always go for the guy who has the best reviews even if he doesn't promise me as much as the others.

I know Champion is good! I just think there is a few things in their power kits that you don't really need but I'm not an expert by any mean so I will like someone with more knowledge to tell us his opinion about the plenum, ypipe, air box, headers

If you go on their website they tell you that you will get 30hp with the plenum and the Gt3 RS body throttle, I know a few guys in the forum that had it on their cars and they actually had to go back to the original parts because they had some problems and it didn't give them any power
I think we are on the same page! You truly speak your mind from prior experience. This is what I am looking for! I was looking at a better air intake and now I see that stock actually works well. Maybe another filter is all I need.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Originally Posted by elite1

I think we are on the same page! You truly speak your mind from prior experience. This is what I am looking for! I was looking at a better air intake and now I see that stock actually works well. Maybe another filter is all I need.
I have the werks1 air intake and I like to see it but it doesn't do anything for the car... It's just for the looks, I'm not even sure the car is getting cold air because there is a gap btw the air box and the trunk of the car.

BMC filter (I had it before the werks1) I think is ok, I like it because you use the original box and you can actually hear the engine getting more air and the best part it only cost $150 to $250 (it depends where you get it)

Fabspeed air filters: Sounds Awsome!!! The throttle feels more aggressive, you can hear the engine sucking more air but it's a lot of HOT air (that's why I sold it)

Those are my 3 experiences I will tell you to go with the BMC filter but be ready to replace the mass sensors

Attached Images  

Last edited by LeoLambo; 04-29-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 PM
I have the werks1 air intake and I like to see it but it doesn't so anything for my car... It's just for the looks, I'm not even sure you are getting cold air because there is a gap from the air box and the trunk of the car.

BMC filter (I had it before the werks1) I think is ok, I like it because you use the original box and you can actually hear the engine getting more air hajj and the best part it only cost $150 to $250 (it depends where you get it)

Fabspeed air filters: Sounds Awsome!!! The throttle feels more aggressive, you can hear the engine sucking more air but it's a lot of HOT air (that's why I sold it)

Those are my 3 experiences I will tell you to go with the BMC filter but be ready to replace the mass sensors
"Sold"

Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM
I have the werks1 air intake and I like to see it but it doesn't do anything for the car... It's just for the looks, I'm not even sure the car is getting cold air because there is a gap btw the air box and the trunk of the car.

BMC filter (I had it before the werks1) I think is ok, I like it because you use the original box and you can actually hear the engine getting more air and the best part it only cost $150 to $250 (it depends where you get it)

Nice photo by the way. I love the sound of a true turbo! Porsche does this with this kind of car but, at time a WRX steals its position? How can I remedy that? A stupid waste gauge to make the noise I want? Car is faster than that!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM
hopper997s is on a distinguished road
65mm vtgs, good intercoolers, exhaust, plenum+tb and bmc filter is a plus. Most importantly a good tune, that's should be all you need to be in the 700hp club.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Originally Posted by hopper997s
65mm vtgs, good intercoolers, exhaust, plenum+tb and bmc filter is a plus. Most importantly a good tune, that's should be all you need to be in the 700hp club.
So for what I'm reading I'm very tempted to buy the Plenum with the bigger throttle (Gt3) can somebody tell me about their experience with the plenum and Gt3 throttle body?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:37 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hopper997s
Make sure you get a 70mm exhaust w/ high flow cats. You'll also need silicone hoses, BRVs and turbo inlet pipes. Headers maybe too.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
So for what I'm reading I'm very tempted to buy the Plenum with the bigger throttle (Gt3) can somebody tell me about their experience with the plenum and Gt3 throttle body?

Definitely get the 82mm IPD plenum and GT3 TB. Isn't really necessary from what I've read but a really nice addition of power and throttle response on tuned cars. I have them.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Originally Posted by SeattleBum

Definitely get the 82mm IPD plenum and GT3 TB. Isn't really necessary from what I've read but a really nice addition of power and throttle response on tuned cars. I have them.
Thank you! I'm getting it because it sounds like its a good upgrade

Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I know they are good and professional but i still think that the "power kit" is a big wasted... it will be a big saving if you buy the turbos, inter-coolers, exhaust and tune separate.

They are another big dealer and as a big business they wanna make big profits (that's why business are business) and that's why they try to sale you a lot of parts that don't work.
So Leo....may I ask what evidence you have to show that we're selling "parts that don't work"?

We have sold probably close to 100 of our full 65mm and 68mm power kits and have never had a complaint. We support our customers through and through, and offer a product which is completely unique to us. No one else can make over 800 whp on VTG turbos. No one else makes custom carbon fiber parts in house. And certainly no one else warranties their customers' cars and guarantees their product results like we do! You seem to have a lot of criticism and dislike for us, considering you have very little to no experience with our product.

So...I'll extend an invitation. On May 11th we are having our Spring Open House event here from 9am-1pm. I have a 2008 997 Turbo here at the shop fully equipped with our 68mm Power Kit. Come to the open house and I will personally give you a ride in that car as long as you like. No hard feelings....clean slate. I invite you to come see our facility and our parts first hand. THEN...you can come back online and tell everyone our parts don't work.

This invitation is also extended to anyone else who might be in the area on the 11th to come check out our Open House. It'll be a fun day with free food, free beverages, and close to 100 other Porsche enthusiasts to chat with. You can also check out our shop and talk to the team. The owner of this particular 997 Turbo which is equipped with our full 68mm kit has been gracious enough to allow me to drive his car if anyone else would like to see what it's all about.

Last edited by Tom@Champion; 05-01-2013 at 09:59 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power Kits? What works and is not overated?