997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Modified stock exhaust possible on 997 Turbo like 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Zbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to all
Modified stock exhaust possible on 997 Turbo like 996 Turbo?

On the 996 Turbo, owners have drilled a 1" to 2" hole through the wall seen inside the exhaust through the two exit pipes. This resulted in a gain of 15 or 20 HP and - more importantly - much improved sound.

Has anyone done this on the 997 Turbo exhaust. Unfortunately, the exhaust's design is different. There is a seam joining two sheets of stainless steel together right where the hole should be drilled.

The question are:

Should the hole be placed under the seam, above the seam, or right at the seam?

Does the seam separate two chambers or is it just this one wall?

Has anyone taken the lid of the exhaust to see how gases are routed?

Attached Images     

Last edited by Zbird; 10-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:39 PM
BaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant future
I bought a spare exhaust to cut open and see what could be done but never did anything with it. PM me if you would want this one to cut open.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:52 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Cut open 996 exhaust, the 997 is very similar, the key difference being the secondary resonator pipe diameter being bigger in the 997 along with a reversed exit. What ruf and fvd do is remove the primary and secondary cat (clam shell), ruf goes on to dogleg a second exhaust tip per side. I have the fvd version with 200 cell cats, love it, but it's not cheap, it doesn't drone, rattle or throw lights either.
PBK makes a much cheaper version, basically pulls one of the cats. However, the sound is not clean imo, rattles a bit and throws cel's according to the website. it runs about 1k.
Ck out my post in cans exhaust thread.

Attached Images  

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 10-12-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Cut open 996 exhaust, the 997 is very similar, the key difference being the secondary resonator pipe diameter being bigger in the 997 along with a reversed exit. What ruf and fvd do is remove the primary and secondary cat (clam shell), ruf goes on to dogleg a second exhaust tip per side. I have the fvd version with 200 cell cats, love it, but it's not cheap, it doesn't drone, rattle or throw lights either. PBK makes a much cheaper version, basically pulls one of the cats. However, the sound is not clean imo, rattles a bit and throws cel's according to the website. it runs about 1k. Ck out my post in cans exhaust thread.

TTSurgeon,

I'm confuse! How did your exhaust RUF or FVD?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 PM
997TTMeister will become famous soon enough
I know Sommerfeld in Germany do a 997 turbo exhaust with bypass and Cat replacement as a product, but I don't know how hard it is. They charge over $2k for it, and achieve 106db with power gains. There are video clips on youtube.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
TTSurgeon,

LOL. Something tells me that one will remain a mystery and we will have to take "the word".

Personally I'd be checking the bonafides on that one before i parted with my hard earned.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
TTSurgeon,

The op is asking about modifying the oem exhaust. How? I suppose with a mig/tig welder and a dremel. Sorry, I don't understand what your asking Leo.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
LOL. Something tells me that one will remain a mystery and we will have to take "the word".

Personally I'd be checking the bonafides on that one before i parted with my hard earned.
Paul, if you have a specific question for me, pm me.
C

Old 10-14-2013, 12:20 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Cut open 996 exhaust, the 997 is very similar, the key difference being the secondary resonator pipe diameter being bigger in the 997 along with a reversed exit. What ruf and fvd do is remove the primary and secondary cat (clam shell), ruf goes on to dogleg a second exhaust tip per side. I have the fvd version with 200 cell cats, love it, but it's not cheap, it doesn't drone, rattle or throw lights either.
PBK makes a much cheaper version, basically pulls one of the cats. However, the sound is not clean imo, rattles a bit and throws cel's according to the website. it runs about 1k.
Ck out my post in cans exhaust thread.
Cool pic. Is that a 997 or 996 exhaust? Isn't that a reverse exit? Looks pretty restrictive.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:47 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Paul, if you have a specific question for me, pm me.
C
Why the need to keep it under wraps? I thought you were having FVD verify the system was Ruf? That's what you indicated a while ago yet nothing was forthcoming from FVD to verify.

Fwiw it doesn't matter to me personally whether it is or isn't just that your follow through didn't match the assurances to the members.

Originally Posted by TTdude
Cool pic. Is that a 997 or 996 exhaust? Isn't that a reverse exit? Looks pretty restrictive.
Agree. I think these OEM gundo hack type mods can achieve a result to a degree but mainly sound wise. Performance gain is a "big" question because there is a lot of restriction still there going by the pic....so I think it is mainly a noise thing going on. Just mho of course.

Last edited by speed21; 10-14-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Again, if you have a specific question about my personal exhaust, pm me, this is someone else's thread.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Again, if you have a specific question about my personal exhaust, pm me, this is someone else's thread.
Don't worry not a big deal I was just curious...

Old 10-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Zbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to allZbird is a name known to all
Thanks to all of you who have given input.

I think I'll be looking for a used Europipe or Cargraphic. If you know of any for sale please PM me.