997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: What coilover setup are you running on your 997.1 turbo?
Bilstein Damptronic
73.33%
Bilstein PSS10
0%
KW3
26.67%
H&R Street Performance
0%
Moton
0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

997 turbo coilover options - post your experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
997 turbo coilover options - post your experience

I haven't seen this on the board before and it would be great to get the collective experience members have with different coilover setups. With the recent buzz about strut failures, it is interesting to know what options there are. Naturally, one man's "totally comfortable ride" is another man's "brutally hard ride", but try to offer some objective comments about your setup.

Let's not discuss lowering springs, rather complete coilover setups only. I've started with some known makers - if there are others please post and I'll add them to the poll.

Last edited by ryem3; 10-22-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
I haven't seen this on the board before and it would be great to get the collective experience members have with different coilover setups. With the recent buzz about strut failures, it is interesting to know what options there are. Naturally, one man's "totally comfortable ride" is another man's "brutally hard ride", but try to offer some objective comments about your setup.

Let's not discuss lowering springs, rather complete coilover setups only. I've started with some known makers - if there are others please post and I'll add them to the poll.
i'll start

-setup my front lower than rear
-rebound untouched
-compression- one click softer for front & two clicks softer on rear

Car handles way better than stock, its more aggressive and alignment settings at normal. I had friends sit in the passenger seat and they swear that the car is more comfortable than OEM suspension.

I cannot comment on recent strut failure issues.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by maverickdxb

i'll start

-setup my front lower than rear
-rebound untouched
-compression- one click softer for front & two clicks softer on rear

Car handles way better than stock, its more aggressive and alignment settings at normal. I had friends sit in the passenger seat and they swear that the car is more comfortable than OEM suspension.

I cannot comment on recent strut failure issues.
Awesome. Might want to add to your post that you are using KW3's, I presume.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 AM
farfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond repute
curious as well.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Out of all the options on your list I voted Bilstein Damptronic. We've installed every one on the list, but by far the Damptronic is just the easiest, best-riding, OEM-quality coilover you can put on the car IMO. The ride is slightly firmer then stock as you'd expect from a coilover, but the ability to to change from non-sport to sport modes using PASM is priceless!!

If I was going to do away with PASM compatibility or wanted something slightly more performance oriented, then I would go for Ohlins. Their standard coilovers are by the best made and performing that we've ever used.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Sayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really nice
I run the Bilstein Damptronics and am extremely happy with them. My car is a DD that gets a minimum of 2 track weekends a month during the season.

-Sayajin

Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
If I was going to do away with PASM compatibility or wanted something slightly more performance oriented, then I would go for Ohlins. Their standard coilovers are by the best made and performing that we've ever used.
Perhaps the mods can add Ohlins to the poll. I don't know how to edit the poll choices. (Seems there should be a way and I left more options open, but can't access them.)

Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
I'd recommend caution and a lot of research for any one looking at Bilstein's Damptronics. Perform some research on here - you'll find too many folks who have experienced failures. Personally I've had both my left and right front shocks die on me over a two year period - one even shorted out the entire PASM unit which needed to be replaced. Shocks were covered under warranty, however over all costs (shipping, service, still exceeded double original price).

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...onic-poll.html

Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Have you considered/looked into the Ohlin Road and Track package?

I think its a great bang for the buck.

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/...duct_range.pdf
Interesting option for about $3200. More than Bilstein and H&R, but less than KW. Maybe someone can do the spring rate conversion and compare to Bilstein's stock setup. At least Ohlin posts their spring rates: 70 N/mm front and 120 N/mm rear.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:49 AM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome. Might want to add to your post that you are using KW3's, I presume.
Yes KW V3's

Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Interesting option for about $3200. More than Bilstein and H&R, but less than KW. Maybe someone can do the spring rate conversion and compare to Bilstein's stock setup. At least Ohlin posts their spring rates: 70 N/mm front and 120 N/mm rear.

Just as another piece of tech info about the Ohlins Road & Track kit...they are single adjustable, similar to the Bilstein. The damping adjustment is 70% compression, 30% rebound. List price on them is $3660.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Just as another piece of tech info about the Ohlins Road & Track kit...they are single adjustable, similar to the Bilstein. The damping adjustment is 70% compression, 30% rebound. List price on them is $3660.
Cool. My quick estimate for spring rates is 400/685, which makes them stiffer than Bilsteins. Hard to compare with the KW's. One of our sponsors has them discounted from retail...

Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Former Vendor
Cool. My quick estimate for spring rates is 400/685, which makes them stiffer than Bilsteins. Hard to compare with the KW's. One of our sponsors has them discounted from retail...
Curious which one....let me know and I'll see if I can match.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 AM
More input? Anybody running H&Rs?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Well I have Damptronics on my .2 TTS and really like them. (Your poll specifically asked about .1 cars so I did not participate)
I did one DE with them so far and they make a huge difference in handling yet the ride is not harsh as I was expecting on the road.
No failures or issues with the setup and I recommend them. (If installed by a reputable installer that knows what they are doing.)

Walt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo coilover options - post your experience