997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What oil do you use

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
What oil do you use

Ok so it's time for my yearly oil change and I've been using Mobil 0-40...I promised myself some light no aggressive track time...and to say that I live above 4k rpms on the street is a understatement....(like to rev motor even tho I'm not stepping on pedal all the way.). What's the proven oil out there...thanks for input...

Old 11-17-2014, 09:29 PM
supra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant future
Rotella 5W-40 (T6 - Syn).

Old 11-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Banned
Prototech is a splendid one to beholdPrototech is a splendid one to beholdPrototech is a splendid one to beholdPrototech is a splendid one to beholdPrototech is a splendid one to beholdPrototech is a splendid one to beholdPrototech is a splendid one to beholdPrototech is a splendid one to behold
I personally like to use the Liqui Molly 5w-40 , has all the good additives in it for these cars .

Old 11-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Faisal997 is on a distinguished road
I use full synthetic 0-40

Old 11-18-2014, 03:47 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Mobil 1

Old 11-18-2014, 06:07 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Motul 5w-40 is the best. Redline is also very good

Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Based on some articles I read and information from "Bob the Oil Guy" posts I switched from Mobil1 0W-40 Synthetic to Mobil1 5W-40 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) Sythetic oil.

What was presented was that due to newer EPA regulations, even the best oils have only a minimal "wear package" added, which is primarily what differentiates oils. As usual, with our brilliant government, the regs apply to AUTOMOBILES, so large trucks, boats, atv's, etc. were not covered

So....The TDT oil has a very good wear package in the formula as well as the feeling from the experts that even in the most frigid temperatures, 0W oil is too light/thin.

So I have been running that and notice the engine (noisy Mezger engine with slapping chains) is quiter as well. Only very slight initial oil pressure increase.

Just FYI. Not looking to get in to an oil debate. Use what you feel comfortable with...these are just my findings and experiences and I thought I would share in the event it may help someone.

DC

Old 11-18-2014, 06:49 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by therock88
Based on some articles I read and information from "Bob the Oil Guy" posts I switched from Mobil1 0W-40 Synthetic to Mobil1 5W-40 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) Sythetic oil.

What was presented was that due to newer EPA regulations, even the best oils have only a minimal "wear package" added, which is primarily what differentiates oils. As usual, with our brilliant government, the regs apply to AUTOMOBILES, so large trucks, boats, atv's, etc. were not covered

So....The TDT oil has a very good wear package in the formula as well as the feeling from the experts that even in the most frigid temperatures, 0W oil is too light/thin.

So I have been running that and notice the engine (noisy Mezger engine with slapping chains) is quiter as well. Only very slight initial oil pressure increase.

Just FYI. Not looking to get in to an oil debate. Use what you feel comfortable with...these are just my findings and experiences and I thought I would share in the event it may help someone.

DC
Good info

Old 11-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for input .. Does anyone have any reads I can go threw.. You would think that some mags would do a test but I bet there's to much marketing to go against..

Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brooklyn boosting
Thanks for input .. Does anyone have any reads I can go threw.. You would think that some mags would do a test but I bet there's to much marketing to go against..
Here is one brief discussion...

And a good site Here...

DC

Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
At my last dealer oil change, they used Mobil 1 0W-40 Synthetic. At my next oil change I'll ask their thoughts about Mobil 5W-40 TDT (btw, I don't expect anything more from the service techs than "Porsche recommends Mobil 1 0W-40")

Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by akunob
At my last dealer oil change, they used Mobil 1 0W-40 Synthetic. At my next oil change I'll ask their thoughts about Mobil 5W-40 TDT (btw, I don't expect anything more from the service techs than "Porsche recommends Mobil 1 0W-40")
I would ask dealer for 5-50 Mobil synthetic ...my garage is heated(yes I'm weird)...from some reads that I've done it's good from 10deg...on up...protects motor with 50 viscosity and is posted in manual as recommend oil...

Old 11-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by therock88
Here is one brief discussion...

And a good site Here...

DC
Thanks..

Old 11-18-2014, 01:16 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Prototech
I personally like to use the Liqui Molly 5w-40 , has all the good additives in it for these cars .
+1

There are a lot of Porsche and BMW guys that swear by it.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:35 PM
kchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond repute
Total 5w40

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What oil do you use