997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TPC's DSC quick review...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:53 PM
atm4jim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Midcont
I'd like to know this also. I replied to the email about the update asking and no response. Emailed Jordan there also have not heard back.
I've reached out Tom of DSC and was told Not to install the firmware as "997 cars do not have ride height sensors for velocity so therefore there is no velocity function on any 997".

But I've already installed the newer 11.17.17 firmware. I was told it won't do any harm, its just unnecessary since it added a fix for headlight error that my car (997.1 turbo) doesn't have.

BTW Excellent customer service and quick responses by Tom of DSC.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mr dw
Got out for a spirited drive on some twisty roads. I ran the same section of road in both "normal" and "sport" I was nowhere near the limits so it was hard for me to discern the difference between the 2 modes. Overall, compared to the stock PASM, it is just smoother. It absorbs bumps and road irregularities better (ie more comfort) but knows when to stiffen up (ie cornering and braking). One thing I could definitely test was braking. Not nearly the nose dive as with the stock PASM. Not that it was bad before, but i can tell a difference.

if there is anything you guys want me to specifically test, let me know. But my overall impression is favorable.

I agree with all of this.

I also noticed that the rear end is way more controlled during hard braking from higher speeds.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:37 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Well, I gave in and ordered at TPC DCS Plug & Play module. I've not heard a negative thing about it and only very positive stuff. Can't wait to see what improvement over the stock PASM module it provides.

Thank you to Tom at TPC for answering all my questions and providing great customer service!!

For those considering it, here is how he explain how it works and makes the car even better.

"DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock."

Old 08-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
I received mine today and decided to do a crude little install video. Hope this helps for those not sure about it. It was really easy.
I'll know more about how I like it tmrw. I didn't get a chance to drive more than around the block today.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:07 PM
BTW, I just got back from an approximate 100 mile drive (city, highway, and some fairly curvy roads). It only took me just about 3-5 miles to feel the difference in city road driving. The ride is a good bit more compliant and smooth. This alone made this purchase worth it.

As soon as I threw it through the first hard curve, I knew it was better. The turn-in was very confidence inspiring and very smooth. The car seemed less twitchy and immediately felt settled. It felt flatter through all of the corners. Transitions from left to right and back were even more smooth and flat.

Needless to say, I'm Very happy with my purchase of the TPC DSC sport module. I hate to sound like a broke record, but for the money, it's hard to think of a better mod. I can't wait to do a true mountain run where I can get a good bit more aggressive than the roads I got on today. The track would be a real test, but that'll have to wait for now..

Old 08-13-2018, 04:15 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
if this module stops working, do you get an error message?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 PM
I just got back from a 275 mile drive to the mountain and back. I'm totally Sold on this TPC DSC module!!!!

My car is even more fun and more confidence inspiring!!!

Thank you again Tom!!

Old 01-27-2019, 02:29 AM
coquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of light
Sorry to bring this old thread back to live. Will TPC DSC improve somehow, so the "Sport" button can activate and turn on the PASM at the same time like the stock one? I guess push one button is always than push two button when you need them urgent....

Old 01-27-2019, 10:43 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
Originally Posted by Big Swole
Well, I gave in and ordered at TPC DCS Plug & Play module. I've not heard a negative thing about it and only very positive stuff. Can't wait to see what improvement over the stock PASM module it provides.

Thank you to Tom at TPC for answering all my questions and providing great customer service!!

For those considering it, here is how he explain how it works and makes the car even better.

"DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock."
Just a word to the wise. While I agree with this for a car with unmodified suspension I can't, from personal experience, say the same for one that is. I lowered my TTS with Eibachs, rebalanced the tires, aligned all 4-wheels, and installed a DSC. The DSC reduces the major bumps but overall my ride is still a little harsh. However, I attribute this to 1) it's a TTS, 2) aging Bridgestone N2's, 3) GT2 alignment, and 4) lowering. But, that's not the fault of the DSC which IMO is doing it's best to compensate. I also know TPC can selectively tune the DSC to match my suspension modifications so perhaps that's my next step because they are 1.5 hours away.

Last edited by 4ocious; 01-27-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 PM
Great News Folks!!

TPC is introducing a new "Launch Control" feature to the DSC!! Have a look!

We can send in our units for an upgrade for a small fee (I'll let Tom or someone from TPC announce the pricing).

Mine's going in as soon as possible.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:04 AM
mr dw has a spectacular aura aboutmr dw has a spectacular aura about
This is great news! I love my DSC Sport and this will make it even better. Couple questions on my 997.2 TTS...

1. Am I correct to assume the "quick stab" needed to turn on the launch control will not interfere with the activation of the factory launch control?
2. Am I correct to assume the DSC activation should be performed before the factory launch control activation?
3. How long before it times out after activation?
4. and of course, what is the price for the upgrade to existing DSC customers?

Thanks guys!

Old 06-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by mr dw
This is great news! I love my DSC Sport and this will make it even better. Couple questions on my 997.2 TTS...

1. Am I correct to assume the "quick stab" needed to turn on the launch control will not interfere with the activation of the factory launch control?
2. Am I correct to assume the DSC activation should be performed before the factory launch control activation?
3. How long before it times out after activation?
4. and of course, what is the price for the upgrade to existing DSC customers?

Thanks guys!

All good questions. I'd hit up Tom at TPC.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:01 AM
2007TT is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by atm4jim
There's a newer firmware dated 11.17.17, the notes says "huge improvement in Velocity". I just installed it but haven't driven enough to comment on the difference. Anyone upgraded to this firmware and noticed a difference? Any ideas what is meant by the improvement in Velocity?

I just checked the site again (www.dscsport.com/firmware/) and the notes has been revised and says "For use with DSC 3-axis accelerometer". Wonder why it was changed.
Is there any improvements from the 3 mode firmware to the updated 2 mode?