997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Best semi-aggressive alignment settings for the STREET?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 AM
CodeBlue911 is on a distinguished road
Best semi-aggressive alignment settings for the STREET? (GT3 specs on a Turbo S??)

Getting my tires changes soon, so I need to get the alignment checked as well.

It still has the original factory alignment after 13,000 miles.

Can anyone recommend the settings (or provide a link to get settings) for a little more aggressive set-up using stock suspension? I want to get a little more out of how she handles. I drive the car 3-4k miles a year and want to enjoy every minute since I already have a luxury cruiser as my daily driver.

BTW, I think I'm going to try the new Sport Cup 2's.

Last edited by CodeBlue911; 02-03-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Do you press the sport button every time? If so I need to move to your area as the roads in NV, NM, and VA are no were near good enough to enjoy more than Sport.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:27 AM
I'm almost always on Sport, unless driving a while on the highway.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
dang your DPW guys get funding I guess. Hell if I had roads like that I would get a GT3 and daily drive that.
I have to go to spring mountain to enjoy what you get to on a daily basis.

you can try lowering springs that retain all the PASM stuff like a techart. It will look a little more aggressive. There is also a DSC tune for it. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ck-review.html

Last edited by Squat; 02-03-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added link
Old 02-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Been doing some research....

Should I just tell my Porsche mechanic to do the 997 GT3 alignment specs??

I also read it may be better to have more negative camber up front.

Thoughts and input much appreciated.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:28 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CodeBlue911
Been doing some research....

Should I just tell my Porsche mechanic to do the 997 GT3 alignment specs??

I also read it may be better to have more negative camber up front.

Thoughts and input much appreciated.
Max out the front negative camber to around -1.1 / -1.2 , rears to -1.6 to -1.8.
The rest of the setting should be in oem spec.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:22 PM
I thought I read somewhere on here that the front camber should be about 0.5 more negative than the rear...???

Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I thought I read somewhere on here that the front camber should be about 0.5 more negative than the rear...???

No, not true, at least NOT for a mostly street 997 TT. eurotom's response above is "correct," a tried and true alignment that a number of us have used for many years. For further details, click Bilstein thread in my signature; there is a diagram there you could print and give to your tuner.

Last edited by cannga; 02-03-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM
But before you do any of that, read the most recent thread where you will learn that Porsche set the car up to drive like it does. Learn how to trail brake and drive each corner as it is. Not the same every time. You can try a later apex too. Or you can take it to a track then the desire to drive it like a track car on the road might not be so much.

You can really hurt your self and your car, and OTHERS when you try to "fix" the problems so many amateurs that dont understand the physics behind why a car needs to do what it does. YOU WANT some understeer. Anyone that tells you otherwise needs to be run away from. You fix understeer with correct driving.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
no, not true, at least not for a mostly street 997 tt. Eurotom's response above is "correct," a tried and true alignment that a number of us have used for many years. For further details, click bilstein thread in my signature; there is a diagram there you could print and give to your tuner:

why the tow out in front?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:06 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
why the tow out in front?
Primarily to improve turn-in response. Not many people talk about this but if if you drive our Turbo back to back against GT3/GT2, besides the soft suspension, the steering response of our Turbo cannot compare: over-assisted and "slow/lazy" in comparison (cruise on freeway and slowly rock the steering back and forth very little bit around straight-ahead point to check this laziness - there is a slight lag that you won't see in GT3). There is not much one could do about this, but one thing possible is ***very very*** slight toe out in front. This is not at all twitchy (I've had it for 5-6 years now), and purely optional. In return the steering response is quicker/more responsive - I absolutely love it.

This is the secret sauce in the alignment that Tom of Lucent, a well known, and very highly recommended, tuner in Southern Cal uses (hope Tom is ok with me sharing it with others ). You could first change the camber, drive a couple of months, then add the slight-toe-out secret sauce :-) and see whether you like the difference. As mentioned, purely optional: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...red-turbo.html

Last edited by cannga; 02-03-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:40 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Great info posted here. Semi-aggressive is somewhat of an oxy moran right?

Your in good hands with Cannga and squats info. I run a more aggressive setup with -3.0 degree up front and am currently looking to increase the rear from -2.3 to -3.0+. I currently have extreme outer tire wear in the rear.

If you don't track your car, you may not want to increase the chamber or toe. When you replaced your last set of tires, I bet you wore out the inner side first. Increasing the chamber will only enhance this problem.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
But before you do any of that, read the most recent thread where you will learn that Porsche set the car up to drive like it does. Learn how to trail brake and drive each corner as it is. Not the same every time. You can try a later apex too. Or you can take it to a track then the desire to drive it like a track car on the road might not be so much. You can really hurt your self and your car, and OTHERS when you try to "fix" the problems so many amateurs that dont understand the physics behind why a car needs to do what it does. YOU WANT some understeer. Anyone that tells you otherwise needs to be run away from. You fix understeer with correct driving.
I agree to an extent. Eventually given progression in lap times no amount of trail braking can help with understeer.

I believe the op's goal is a more aggressive street setup. That said going to the max stock negative camber up front which is -1.2 one will still experience understeer.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Track and Street should be very different situations.

For street, we shouldn't be taking every corner for time or speed. I actually knocked 10 seconds off my daily commute with more "toe."

Play with whatever you want but, keep the PSM on and be considerate to other licensed drivers (Yes even in s Prius.)

Old 02-03-2015, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by elite1
Track and Street should be very different situations. For street, we shouldn't be taking every corner for time or speed. I actually knocked 10 seconds off my daily commute with more "toe." Play with whatever you want but, keep the PSM on and be considerate to other licensed drivers (Yes even in s Prius.)
Haha agreed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best semi-aggressive alignment settings for the STREET?