997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yah996
With a GT4, you will lose in 4 years lots of money, a 997.1 GT3 will gain money over the years.

You also make a very important point about money/car appreciation, but for the past 4 years my capital investment growth 40%, enough for me to buy two 911, a bigger home and a second vacation condo in paradise. I am buying cars as toys, first and foremost is the fun factor and secondary would be really nice to see the toys appreciate, if not, I am happy to take a loss. To buy cars as an investment, I prolly would lose all my income, as I am buying cars base on my emotion more than my head. But thank you for your opinion.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:10 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
You also make a very important point about money/car appreciation, but for the past 4 years my capital investment growth 40%, enough for me to buy two 911, a bigger home and a second vacation condo in paradise. I am buying cars as toys, first and foremost is the fun factor and secondary would be really nice to see the toys appreciate, if not, I am happy to take a loss. To buy cars as an investment, I prolly would lose all my income, as I am buying cars base on my emotion more than my head. But thank you for your opinion.
I agree with you; treat the car as a money losing toy and drive the hell out of it. Car as investment? Only for the few who are very lucky, or the few who truly know what they are doing AND have big budget. Otherwise forget it.

My own experience over last 30 years of investment is this: the Spyder to make money from is this SPRD Spyder, not the Porsche Spyder. Bada... boom! That and real estate in coastal large cities, except Florida :-).

Last edited by cannga; 04-19-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
Good points gentlemen, I was thinking about the same thing but appreciate your thoughts
Keep in mind Porsche has more gems down the line that would make us drool ever more- all rumors, but not too far-fetched:

1. What always follows a GT class Porsche release, ALWAYS? The RS model. So is a GT4 RS a possibility? Most definitely IMHO.
2. Demand for GT4 has been so great that they are already talking Boxster Spyder GT4. Not as stiff-chassis, all-out-track car like Cayman GT4, but boy for those sunshine states like California & Hawaii, this, among the most beautiful of all Porsche's to my eyes, would be another perfect companion to a metal-roof Turbo coupe. How is Spyder GT4 different/better than "regular" Spyder: better front (GT3) and rear suspension, GT3 spec brake, very likely R comp tire, and big rear wing (wow I would love this!) etc. THIS is what I would wait for (YMMV).

It's interesting that Porsche gives 918 customers first dip on GT4 allotments (and a number of them take it). The offer really should tell you something about the GT4.

Last edited by cannga; 04-19-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:55 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
I had been planning to hang onto both of my current p-cars for many years to come, but consolidating to something like a track-prepped but still street-legal GT4RS could make a lot of sense. Such a move might even be net-cash-positive, and would free up a garage bay for some other purpose. Hmm. We are in some very interesting times for sports car fanatics.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Porschedoctor is a splendid one to beholdPorschedoctor is a splendid one to beholdPorschedoctor is a splendid one to beholdPorschedoctor is a splendid one to beholdPorschedoctor is a splendid one to beholdPorschedoctor is a splendid one to behold
GT4 hands down...if you can get one.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
For a track weapon...
...forget about the GT4 and look at a 991 Turbo S (one car for every purpose)

It's 1.2s faster around Anglesey circuit than a 458 Speciale

Just STAGGERING NUMBERS!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Nevermiss is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pureporsche
For a track weapon...
...forget about the GT4 and look at a 991 Turbo S (one car for every purpose)

It's 1.2s faster around Anglesey circuit than a 458 Speciale

Porsche 911 Turbo S - evo Leaderboard - YouTube

Just STAGGERING NUMBERS!
The Anglesey circuit looks WAYYY more fun than Carolina Motorsports Park. I need to get out on some more tracks!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
I just cant believe they are offering to the 918 buyers first. One would think they would want them on the road instead of in a collection

Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
+1

You are correct…why I am selling my 981S now…..
Originally Posted by yah996
With a GT4, you will lose in 4 years lots of money, a 997.1 GT3 will gain money over the years.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:16 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
I just cant believe they are offering to the 918 buyers first. One would think they would want them on the road instead of in a collection
And they all bought them because they had $1mm to blow on a car anyway. They just bought the GT4 just for the heck of it and will flip it for a profit if the spirit moves. Another example of how it's easy to get richer if you are already rich.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ryem3
And they all bought them because they had $1mm to blow on a car anyway. They just bought the GT4 just for the heck of it and will flip it for a profit if the spirit moves. Another example of how it's easy to get richer if you are already rich.
Yup agree with it all. I thought Porsche was saying they wanted the Gt4 on a track. While some will go im guessing the guy with the $$ is going to buy the gt3 rs or a cup car. I guess its nice to add to the stable.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:33 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
He is not confused

Originally Posted by au2bahn
I think it's the 997 edition 918 Spyder theyre taking about

Current 918 Owners do have the first Dibs on Cayman GT4. This is true as this is what took place in Mpls, MN and the current 918 owner ordered two Cayman GT4's. This is a stupid policy on Porsches behalf in my opinion.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Which one of his 3 track cars will he drive..............