997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Blew a Turbo, Whats next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:10 AM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
You should pull both fuel pump fuses and turn the car over until oil pressure builds up a bit first. If turbos are new then there is a break in procedure, if used then off you go. Probably check fluids over after a small run too.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:15 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Thank you,

Turbo are not new but, good advice. I thought the same thing with the fuel fuse. Glad to see you reconfirm my thoughts regarding that.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:29 AM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gofast
You should pull both fuel pump fuses and turn the car over until oil pressure builds up a bit first. If turbos are new then there is a break in procedure, if used then off you go. Probably check fluids over after a small run too.
Turbos do not have a break-in procedure. No manufacturer will ever tell you this, but maybe some mechanics/repair techs who want to sound clever...

Old 11-14-2015, 03:34 AM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
I was told to break in. Start car and leave to idle for 30 min, drive 500km under .3 bar boost.

I did read numerous forums regarding new turbos, a few people say that as the turbine spins so fast on start up that it is technically run in within a few moments. I chose to stay safe than sorry and just run the 500km...

Old 11-14-2015, 01:00 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
This obviously excludes ball bearing turbos.

With a journal bearing turbo, the idea is a layer of pressurized oil prevents the various surfaces from touching, no amount of metal to metal contact is good under any circumstance. You will not hear a break in procedure from a manufacturer like this, not to mention, idling the car for 30 minutes is not good anyway so they gave you all around bad advice.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:52 PM
The advice i was given was in regards to my ball bearing turbos.

Originally Posted by itguy
This obviously excludes ball bearing turbos.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by gofast
The advice i was given was in regards to my ball bearing turbos.
Even more suspect then, wouldn't trust this person with an oil change...

Old 11-14-2015, 04:11 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
If you're still looking for VTG's I have these, which worked perfectly fine before I replaced them with a set of 68s from Champion.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4344796

Old 11-14-2015, 05:47 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Car is back together and runs fine. Did a plug change also.

I will need a new exhaust system. I flushed it out with 10 gallons of Power Purple followed by 20 gallons of water. Still smoking.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 AM
cats is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Steamboat;4419589]
Originally Posted by mavila
So can I ask how many miles were on your respective cars when this happened and what other mods were done/how much power were you making?

Bought my car with 8,000 miles and had 18,000 on it when it let go in its second track/road season - probably 20-30 track days later. Only mods were a stage I Evoms tune, maybe 550 hp @ crank, and a few suspension doo-dads. We hypothesized that the impeller retaining nut probably became loose causing the shaft to vibrate and fail but that was just a guess as it could have been many other things. A failed BRV was something we did not consider but that makes sense too. My BRV's were oem at the time, fwiw.

Currently at 44K miles and the past two seasons have, thankfully, been mostly drama free!
SO I hubby is buying an 09 GT2 and what due diligence in a PPI is needed to identify a turbo problem? Or do they just "blow" without warning?

Old 11-15-2015, 09:38 AM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1
Car is back together and runs fine. Did a plug change also.

I will need a new exhaust system. I flushed it out with 10 gallons of Power Purple followed by 20 gallons of water. Still smoking.
Depending on how bad it's smoking, that oil will eventually burn out. You need some longer, higher speed pulls to really get that exhaust temp up

Also, as already stated, "break in" is a procedure that's done with interfaces that have a decent amount of friction between them. In the case of engines, it's really more about seating the rings and micropolishing them while the cross-hatching it still fresh in the cylinder. Turbos do not need break-in....there's simply no such thing, ball-bearing or otherwise. They spin incredibly fast even when they aren't making boost. The turbo compressor RPM also is not linear with boost pressure. It may take 90,000 rpm for the turbo to make 5 psi, and only 100k rpm for it to make 15.

The biggest reason after you finish up to go out and work up to full boost and full throttle is to check for leaks (boost, oil, coolant, etc).

Old 11-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by A418t81
Depending on how bad it's smoking, that oil will eventually burn out. You need some longer, higher speed pulls to really get that exhaust temp up

Also, as already stated, "break in" is a procedure that's done with interfaces that have a decent amount of friction between them. In the case of engines, it's really more about seating the rings and micropolishing them while the cross-hatching it still fresh in the cylinder. Turbos do not need break-in....there's simply no such thing, ball-bearing or otherwise. They spin incredibly fast even when they aren't making boost. The turbo compressor RPM also is not linear with boost pressure. It may take 90,000 rpm for the turbo to make 5 psi, and only 100k rpm for it to make 15.

The biggest reason after you finish up to go out and work up to full boost and full throttle is to check for leaks (boost, oil, coolant, etc).

Break in would be one thing but, my car is smoking worse than a 85 Cadillac.

I have a few ideas for this coming weekend. If all fails, I'll be back with the stealth stock exhaust until a replacement is built and shipped..

Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 PM
I hate to post this but, If you dumped a quart or two of oil into your exhaust inlet, how long would it take to burn out? What would be your best polluting method?

Anyone tap out their EP2 or other system cat convertors? If so, any Cels?

If you have a Cel, will the car pull timing or what should I expect other than a "no pass" with emissions.?

Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1
I hate to post this but, If you dumped a quart or two of oil into your exhaust inlet, how long would it take to burn out? What would be your best polluting method?

Anyone tap out their EP2 or other system cat convertors? If so, any Cels?

If you have a Cel, will the car pull timing or what should I expect other than a "no pass" with emissions.?
I bet a few 25 minute sessions at the track would take care of it. Go do a lapping day.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I bet a few 25 minute sessions at the track would take care of it. Go do a lapping day.

Wanna rent my car which would be refundable once "the smoke" clears?