997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone Regret Black Wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Anyone Regret Black Wheels?

I'm thinking of going with a wheel that is powdercoated matte center gloss black lip. Was wondering if gloss black lip tends to get all sorts of fine scratches like with black cars...

Any wheel can be scratched with terrible maintenance but was wondering if black wheels are even more susceptible.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:39 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evoking
I'm thinking of going with a wheel that is powdercoated matte center gloss black lip. Was wondering if gloss black lip tends to get all sorts of fine scratches like with black cars... Any wheel can be scratched with terrible maintenance but was wondering if black wheels are even more susceptible.
No ragrets. lol

So yes gloss will show everything. Mostly swirl/wipe marks from cleaning even with microfiber towels. Matte will be less susceptible to showing damage.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:29 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
No, I love my black winter set so much I hate to take them off in the spring

Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
No regrets. Hand wash your car to eliminate the chance of unnecessary scratches.

If you curb the rim, it would be very noticeable due to extreme color variances.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:29 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
No regrets. I have satin black finished wheels and they don't get washed out even having a black car. I also think the big brakes and bright calipers help the overall appearance

Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 AM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
ehh... know you didn't ask for opinions but i just cant help myself. Black is a terrible color for a nice wheel.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4342594

Old 11-19-2015, 09:05 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
You selling the red p40s?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:22 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
I would go all flat black or all semi-gloss. As you already mentioned, a high gloss will get scratched and show a lot worse in black than any other color. Regardless of what brakes you have, you will get a considerable amount of dust, so the gloss black will end up looking like a matte finish after a few miles.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evoking
I'm thinking of going with a wheel that is powdercoated matte center gloss black lip. Was wondering if gloss black lip tends to get all sorts of fine scratches like with black cars...

Any wheel can be scratched with terrible maintenance but was wondering if black wheels are even more susceptible.
I went with satin black, swirl marks don't show up. Can't beat a black wheel with the yellow calipers.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I have matte (satin) black wheels previously and it's easy to maintain. Hide brake dust perfectly and almost always looks clean. You will not have a problem.

Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
With a good powder coating, there should be very little chance of scratches/etc. from washing, etc., but it is a wheel and it is in a harsh environment so there will be dings and dongs and scratches. I think the matt shows imperfections much more than the gloss.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:30 AM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
No regrets

Old 11-20-2015, 12:31 PM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
No regrets....I love the look.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0357.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	433261   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150418_103730.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	433264  

Last edited by matt2ace; 11-20-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:02 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
I wouldn't call it a "regret" but I went dark grey (which looked black). The car looked too "murdered out" which wasn't the look I was going for so I went two shades lighter and couldn't be happier. To be fair, I got a few compliments on the darker wheels but it simply wasn't for me.

Dark Side
Name:  TTSdark_zps45fddbf7.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  128.2 KB

Lightened Up
Name:  Fall%20997.2%20TTS1_zpsuegyvfy8.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  383.6 KB

Old 11-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
If it's just color for you then black's fine. But if you care about your wheels looking large or +1, then black is a poor choice as outside of dawn/dusk, the wheel (even with gloss black) doesn't reflect enough light to differentiate the wheel from the tires. This makes the wheels look small or disappear in your wheel well even with the calipers or 3pc wheel bolts in a contrasting color. So depends on your preference.

That said, with the right light, gloss black lips and satin black centers looks REALLY nice I had that setup for a while.

But yes, gloss black swirls like crazy, even with micro fiber towels and hand washing. Nothing you can really do about that. Satin or textured black is fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Regret Black Wheels?