997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The Ultimate 996/997 Intercooler Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:00 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by itguy
Water-air heat soaks, so is typically used for glory runs. Since F1 went back to turbo, they are using air-air from the same company we are sourcing these cores from. The only way to make an water-air setup work effectively would be to run cores of the same efficiency as these out front to dissipate the absorbed heat. The cores BBI used look like Bell, and I doubt they put aerospace grade cores in the front bumper, rather relying on an iced water tank. Would be cool to see more info on that build, likely running a large ice tank.
My thought exactly Sean. I was thinking the same thing but couldn't quite eloquently put it into words like you have.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Earl,
10 m/s equals 22.4mph. Are you saying that a vehicle traveling at 140-160mph only has 22.4mph of air flowing throughout the IC duct? Out of curiosity, where did you get that data? That does not seem right as the ducting is generally very efficient. I would see some losses but not an 80% loss in airflow through the core. 50% loss would seems more realistic which would equate to a vehicle traveling about 50mph. Just thinking out loud.. Thanks for all your contributions over the years!
Its been a blast, thanks and same to you! I'll be glued to this thread for a while

Affirm on the ram air speed through the IC core vs vehicle speed -it slows way down with the core in the way. The ram air pressure drop gives it away. Using Bernoulli's eqn for incompressible flow and assuming a perfect duct with no losses gives a 59m/s (~130mph) freestream flow speed for 10 m/s at the core face. Add in some losses and you're looking in the mid 100 mph region to get 10m/s across the core, though the lower pressure behind the tires should help. This is probably why they gave you specs at that cooling air speed. When GTRNick had his Marstons tested at a facility that does F1 IC testing, they measured at 3, 6 and 9 m/s across the core for good reason -it corresponds to a fairly wide range of vehicle speed.

Setrab posted some nice rules of thumb on their website using non-perfect ducts:

Originally Posted by Setrab
Cooling air face velocity

The table below can be used to estimate the air speed through the cooler depending on vehicle speed and inlet size.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr height="22"> <td colspan="3" height="22" width="64">
</td><td class="xl82" colspan="4" width="256"> m/s (Va) </td> </tr> <tr height="22"> <td class="xl65" height="22"> Vvehicle </td> <td class="xl65"> Vvehicle </td> <td class="xl65"> Vvehicle </td> <td class="xl72" colspan="4"> Front inlet area size in % of cooler area </td> </tr> <tr height="20"> <td class="xl71" height="20"> m/s </td> <td class="xl71"> km/h </td> <td class="xl71"> mph </td> <td class="xl66"> 30% </td> <td class="xl67"> 50% </td> <td class="xl67"> 70% </td> <td class="xl81"> 100% </td> </tr> <tr height="20"> <td class="xl68" height="20"> 13.9 </td> <td class="xl68"> 50 </td> <td class="xl69"> 31 </td> <td class="xl72"> 2.1 </td> <td class="xl73"> 2.2 </td> <td class="xl73"> 2.3 </td> <td class="xl74"> 2.4 </td> </tr> <tr height="20"> <td class="xl68" height="20"> 27.8 </td> <td class="xl68"> 100 </td> <td class="xl69"> 62 </td> <td class="xl75"> 4.7 </td> <td class="xl76"> 5.4 </td> <td class="xl76"> 5.6 </td> <td class="xl77"> 5.7 </td> </tr> <tr height="20"> <td class="xl68" height="20"> 41.7 </td> <td class="xl68"> 150 </td> <td class="xl69"> 93 </td> <td class="xl75"> 7.3 </td> <td class="xl76"> 8.2 </td> <td class="xl76"> 8.5 </td> <td class="xl77"> 8.7 </td> </tr> <tr height="20"> <td class="xl68" height="20"> 55.6 </td> <td class="xl68"> 200 </td> <td class="xl69"> 124 </td> <td class="xl75"> 9.7 </td> <td class="xl76"> 10.9 </td> <td class="xl76"> 11.4 </td> <td class="xl77"> 11.7 </td> </tr> <tr height="20"> <td class="xl68" height="20"> 69.4 </td> <td class="xl68"> 250 </td> <td class="xl69"> 155 </td> <td class="xl75"> 12 </td> <td class="xl76"> 13.6 </td> <td class="xl76"> 14.2 </td> <td class="xl77"> 14.5 </td> </tr> <tr height="20"> <td class="xl71" height="20"> 83.3 </td> <td class="xl71"> 300 </td> <td class="xl70"> 185 </td> <td class="xl78"> 14.3 </td> <td class="xl79"> 16.3 </td> <td class="xl79"> 16.9 </td> <td class="xl80"> 17.3 </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
For example, if vehicle speed is 150 km/h and the relation between front air inlet opening and the charge cooler area is 50% you will have roughly 8.2 m/s cooling air face velocity.

The cooling air face velocity is on average 15-18% of vehicle speed in the table above. These values can be better or worse depending on intercooler installation in the vehicle and vehicle aerodynamics.

As you know this is somewhat difficult data to actually record on the car, and it will change based on the core. To prove I'm not completely out to lunch, this guy actually did some testing and got similar numbers (note the effects of adding a fan!):

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwintercooler.php

I imagine the reason the theoretical cooling flow vs vehicle speed is a little lower through your core is because its more dense than a Setrab core.

Being generous, the stock inlet to core face % on a 996 is about 25, add in a denser core and you're well into triple digits to get the advertised efficiency numbers. The good news is those efficiency numbers are f'n awesome and I'm confident you still see impressive gains at lower speeds.

As a side note, theory suggests the bigger inlet scoops will help all around but will really start to shine at about 100mph. That should be a fun test!

Last edited by earl3; 01-06-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:30 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
Its been a blast, thanks! I'll be glued to this thread for a while

Affirm on the ram air speed through the IC core vs vehicle speed -it slows way down with the core in the way. The ram air pressure drop gives it away. Using Bernoulli's eqn for incompressible flow and assuming a perfect duct with no losses gives a 59m/s (~130mph) freestream flow speed. Add in some losses and you're looking in the mid 100 mph region to get 10m/s across the core. This is probably why they gave you specs at that cooling air speed. When GTRNick had his Marstons tested at a facility that does F1 IC testing, they measured at 3, 6 and 9 m/s across the core which corresponds to a fairly wide range of vehicle speed.

Setrab posted some nice rules of thumb on their website using non-perfect ducts:

As you know, this is somewhat difficult data to actually measure on the car, but to prove I'm not out to lunch, this guy actually did some testing and got similar numbers (note the effects of adding a fan!):

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwintercooler.php

I imagine the reason the theoretical cooling flow vs vehicle speed is a little lower through your core is because its more dense than a Setrab core.

Being generous, the stock inlet to core face % on a 996 is about 25 + the denser core and you're well into triple digits to get the advertised efficiency numbers. The good news is those efficiency numbers are f'n awesome and I'm confident you still see massive gains at lower speeds.
thanks for sharing!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:40 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Excellent info Earl. It makes sense now. I have data for 2, 4, 6, 8 m/s in addition to the 10 m/s I already published. I will add that to the thread when I get a chance. This makes me believe that the intake scoops that Joe Toth designed will greatly benefit forcing air through the IC duct further increasing the intercooler efficiency. At high speed they should really shine!

Last edited by pwdrhound; 01-06-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:51 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
100% agree with your post my friend!

There is no air to air cooler on the market that would to a better job to control IAT's then water / meth set up with even half decent cores. You add to that water / meth adds octane, motor runs cleaner and keeps IAT's at levels that air to airs can only dream of and you have a winner! I would rather get half decent flowing/cooling cores and meth set up all day long over a ultra high$$ (even the $4500 ones on the market are insane $$ if you ask me) intercooler set up. Especially for those that are tracking for 20-30min at a time all out!!

What else can keep your IAT consistent, add the octane safety benefits then a good meth set up?!

Even a billion dollar company like Porsche with their halo car the 997 GT2 RS (620bhp) was pulling major power (70BHP+) with their STOCK car when Top Gear USA tested it in very hot weather even BEFORE they started doing any laps!! How much better cooling will people get with ALOT more BHP and "upgraded" coolers with the same effect as Top Gear noticed not even tracking the car! A big cubed N/A car like the Viper would not be down that much power in the same weather, causing you to get yanked power wise on the track 10min in, if even!

I can promise you if that stock GT2 RS had water/meth injection (not suited for the mass audience production car) it would not be down in power, let alone so much power they thought it was no different in power then a regular 997 T!! They had to wait for the night for the weather to cool down to get all the advertised power! Even with the crap stock 997.1 coolers with meth / water injection would of been rock solid verses the praised 997.2 coolers in that Top Gear test, let alone a good set of flowing / better cooling cores like the 997.2 coolers mated with meth /water set up!

I truly applaud you & SRM with your under taking of this project, as it can only help the 911 community, but I am surprised that someone like yourself that needs consistent, reliable HP for what you do, that this isn't a foundational part of your build plan. For fractions less and miles better performance then ANY ultra NASA core, water meth would be better performing. Even if you wanted to still do these serious coolers, having the water / meth would only bring your cooler to another level on top / coupled together with these new cores.

Again, I am still following this thread as it is advancements for our platform and am glad someone is pushing the envelope!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
Many people will attempt to go on a quest in solving heat issues by introducing better intercooling when in fact they should really take a step back at times and review their system as a whole to begin with starting with the tune on the car.

First and foremost you have to review what sort of driving you're building your particular setup for, what are your goals. One goal listed above is a power goal and that's a great start. You have to first look at the efficiency of your turbos given where your current tune is sitting. The reason I say this is that people will try running their non-purpose built non-road course type tunes on road courses in 20-30 minute sessions and will heat soak whatever they have on the car whether it is the most efficient intercooler core on the market today or not. Once you have the tuning (boost/airflow levels required to support your power levels) then you start on the quest to build the ultimate intercooler solution and you may be lucky to pull it off with an air/air setup that will fit your goals.

My opinion is that there really is no so called 'ultimate' hardware unless its backed by a goal and purpose built to fit that specific scenario in the best way possible. Exactly the same principles apply to tuning.

Any and all of the above options can be ultimate solution if they satisfy your needs from the performance point of view. Personally I'm a huge fan of water/alcohol injection. I have tuned race teams around the world with it where the rules would allow for it but I also realize that a water/alcohol injection system isn't part of your goals here so there really isn't any point discussing it as the system needs to be built to your goals not mine

What is your current setup on the car, how much boost are you running, what octane, what type of road course, average speeds, how long are the sessions, altitude, is it flat level or hill climb, are you making sure you're running your turbos in their peak efficiency?

Dzenno@PTF

Old 01-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali

I truly applaud you & SRM with your under taking of this project, as it can only help the 911 community, but I am surprised that someone like yourself that needs consistent, reliable HP for what you do, that this isn't a foundational part of your build plan. For fractions less and miles better performance then ANY ultra NASA core, water meth would be better performing. Even if you wanted to still do these serious coolers, having the water / meth would only bring your cooler to another level on top / coupled together with these new cores.

Again, I am still following this thread as it is advancements for our platform and am glad someone is pushing the envelope!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
This is a like shopping for the best wine but people wanting to sell you cheap whiskey instead because it'll get you drunk quicker. It's apples and oranges. I am well aware of the concept and benefits of meth injection. There are definitely applications where meth has its place and where it shines. I'll say it again, it is just not an option I want to entertain and deal with due to the added complexity, weight, and constant servicing requirements. This is all about creating the best air to air intercooling solution possible that surpasses any other air to air offering available. Simplicity is part of my build plan. A simple, lightweight, ultra reliable, zero maintenance solution that provides a quantifiable reduction in IATs (without drawbacks) over anything currently available. Why does Porsche Motorsport use the ultra expensive Secan heat exchangers instead of meth which could provide even better results? Probably the same reasons, it doesn't fit their goals. The 997.2s were originally designed for a 530hp TT so it's not surprising they fall short in the 612hp 7GT2RS the same way they fall short in my case. Not all the time and not by much, but they do fall short. Hence the aerospace solution...

Last edited by pwdrhound; 01-07-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:18 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Nice to see someone thinking like I did. Good luck in moving forward and I am subscribed

p.s. when I fitted my aerospace cores I did a back to back test against 997.1 cores and saw over 20* drops in IAT's in certain gears, you just cant beat aerospace cores.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 01-07-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone ever tried fitting fans under the IC's?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Anyone ever tried fitting fans under the IC's?

At low "city" type speeds it can help, but at any higher speeds the fans become a air flow restriction through the core and has negative effect.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Nice to see someone thinking like I did. Good luck in moving forward and I am subscribed

p.s. when I fitted my aerospace cores I did a back to back test against 997.1 cores and saw over 20* drops in IAT's in certain gears, you just cant beat aerospace cores.
Thanks Nick. I'm excited about the project. I've followed both yours and Toby's intercooler threads and learned a lot as a result. The data you guys provided was invaluable. We are basically trying to raise the bar again by going with even more efficient cores that what you guys used. I'm not sure what your core size was, but we are using cores another 15% larger than what Toby used. I have data on Toby's cores which clearly bears out that 3.5" is not thick enough and leaves a lot on the table. I think the reason Toby stuck with 3.5" is that it was a "stock" dimension core and by only commiting to a single pair CTR did not have the luxury to get a custom size manufactured, or that option was just not there 5 years ago. If I remember, Toby basically told them he wanted the size that matched that of the AWE 3.5s and I think that's what they likely used as a constraint without looking further.

Out of curiosity, are you using the same size / same manufacturer cores that Toby used? I believed yours are slightly smaller with 11/12 rows while Toby's are 14/15. I just can't recall as I have a lot of numbers scrambling my brain right now. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Cheers!

Old 01-07-2016, 04:51 PM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
To prove I'm not completely out to lunch, this guy actually did some testing and got similar numbers (note the effects of adding a fan!):
I don't know, Earl. The effects of the fan that this guy claims to have seen go against everything I've ever read or heard about fans in relation to cooling air flow based on vehicle speed (my info was generally on the effects of fans on AC condensers).

In general, consensus is that as of around 30mph or so, fans are more of a restriction than an aid in cooling air flow (standard vehicle configuration with the radiator(s)/AC condensers at the front and relatively unrestricted air flow). The guy in the link you posted seems to have measured a reduction in cooling all the way up to 100mph based on the fan. I find this hard to believe. Either the lower temps were due to the lower starting temps (the fans cool the ICs at idle) or his measurements are off in some way.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 PM
changster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond repute
There are many aftermarket choices available but very few if any have proven to surpass the performance of the OEM 997.2 for those looking for all around performance for moderate power (up to 650whp or so). This has been proven repeatedly in real world testing as reported by Earl who has tested them against many aftermarket options out there.
Did he test the AMS IC? I'll put up real money to bet that the AMS one is better than the 997.2 for IAT's when fully installed. Both temperature and consistency.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:14 PM
oldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to all
This is a like shopping for the best wine but people wanting to sell you cheap whiskey instead because it'll get you drunk quicker. It's apples and oranges. I am well aware of the concept and benefits of meth injection. There are definitely applications where meth has its place and where it shines. I'll say it again, it is just not an option I want to entertain and deal with due to the added complexity, weight, and constant servicing requirements. This is all about creating the best air to air intercooling solution possible that surpasses any other air to air offering available. Simplicity is part of my build plan. A simple, lightweight, ultra reliable, zero maintenance solution that provides a quantifiable reduction in IATs (without drawbacks) over anything currently available. Why does Porsche Motorsport use the ultra expensive Secan heat exchangers instead of meth which could provide even better results? Probably the same reasons, it doesn't fit their goals. The 997.2s were originally designed for a 530hp TT so it's not surprising they fall short in the 612hp 7GT2RS the same way they fall short in my case. Not all the time and not by much, but they do fall short. Hence the aerospace solution...
I hope you realize that your point of view is just like my point of view, a reference point. We are solving the same issue different ways and although they are indeed apples and oranges in terms of approach the end result is what matters. A more appropriate way of describing this would be different ways to skin the cat. For me you are just drinking a super expensive bottle of rare wine that tastes no better than a really tasty mass produced $20 bottle. In fact many will argue the $20 bottle tasted far batter and for the cost difference they got a really nice bottle of cognac too!

Old 01-07-2016, 09:51 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by stevemfr
I don't know, Earl. The effects of the fan that this guy claims to have seen go against everything I've ever read or heard about fans in relation to cooling air flow based on vehicle speed (my info was generally on the effects of fans on AC condensers).

In general, consensus is that as of around 30mph or so, fans are more of a restriction than an aid in cooling air flow (standard vehicle configuration with the radiator(s)/AC condensers at the front and relatively unrestricted air flow). The guy in the link you posted seems to have measured a reduction in cooling all the way up to 100mph based on the fan. I find this hard to believe. Either the lower temps were due to the lower starting temps (the fans cool the ICs at idle) or his measurements are off in some way.
Hi guys,

Just a couple quick thoughts. My other hobby is aviation, specifically a pilot, and I have been fortunate to attend the Reno air races on occasion. The planes in the unlimited classes have wild engines pulling over 100 inches of Manifold Pressure, or nearly 3.4Bar. Among the many tricks they use to keep them running cool for a race, they use radiators and oil coolers, and at speeds approaching 500 mph, the air passing over these coolers has only a couple milliseconds to pick up the heat and carry it away. They get around this by increasing the core efficiency using spraybar systems to spray distilled water onto the cores in front of the airflow. Stick your finger in your mouth then blow on it, same principle as a swamp cooler. The systems are simple, reliable, and except for the water reservoir, very lightweight. The water tank can be mounted up front to keep the weight in a desirable location. I seem to recall a few years of the Sube STI's even came with a spraybar system from the factory. At any rate, spraybar systems are a proven method to significantly improve the efficiency of any heat exchanger unit. Seems like it would be a fairly simple matter to add such a system into the intercooler ducts and plumb it invisibly up to a reservoir/pump located in the front trunk area. A 1 gal tank is plenty for any reasonable length race. The distilled water is completely harmless to paint finishes and non-corrosive. Just a thought I haven't seen mentioned in this thread.

Cheers
Mikey

Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oldbooster
I hope you realize that your point of view is just like my point of view, a reference point. We are solving the same issue different ways and although they are indeed apples and oranges in terms of approach the end result is what matters. A more appropriate way of describing this would be different ways to skin the cat. For me you are just drinking a super expensive bottle of rare wine that tastes no better than a really tasty mass produced $20 bottle. In fact many will argue the $20 bottle tasted far batter and for the cost difference they got a really nice bottle of cognac too!

You obviously don't know wine but may know cognac with that statement and I don't pretend to know cognac.

Pwdrhounds statement is valid though. The GT2RS intercoolers (btw 997.2 intercoolers, making them sound better with verbiage) are sold from Porsche with a certain efficiency headroom. With the posts and results I have seen is around 20% or so.

This thread is relative to our 997 turbo platform especially if we track our car. Extra moving veins will generate slight more heat.

Heat with this setup also occurs from the extra speed our small VTG turbine see's due to its increased rotational speed.

Bend a spoon 5 times and see if it will break! It may in 4 bends.

I prefer to not bend the spoon with safety and or keep tabs on any additional crap I have to monitor while running my car.

Kudos to presenting team!

John and Sean, look forward to it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.