997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The Ultimate 996/997 Intercooler Project

Old 08-22-2016, 09:14 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
So are you struggling with the density altitude being that of 9K+? I think you were running GT2 997.2 IC prior, correct? If so, we're you losing power (engine retardation) on longer straights or else where?
I am currently running the 997.2 ICs waiting for the Aerospace ones. The .2s are excellent in my opinion but yes they do have their well documented shortcomings. On a hot day I do detect a slight drop off on performance when fully saturated, about 1-1.5 seconds per 2 minute lap. Certainly not huge but detectable. My IATs will spike into the 160F range when fully hot at the end of a 25min session running hard. They do quickly drop off on OFF throttle however. I am running custom built non VTG K16 based turbos with larger 997GT2RS compressors which keep the turbine speeds in check and works very well at such high altitudes. By comparison, one of my friends that runs stock 997TT VTGs in his E85 Cobb tuned .1TT hard at the track would see his IATs in excess of 200F with the .2ICs. Granted, he does drive his TT harder than anyone I know but he ended up burning up the .2ICs and also blew one of his turbos likely from ever speeding them in the thin air. The conditions we run in are definitely brutal on turbocharged cars as the turbos have to spin 20-30% faster to meet target boost values at our altitudes. As such, running larger compressors will go a long way to greater longevity.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-22-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:54 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I am currently running the 997.2 ICs waiting for the Aerospace ones. The .2s are excellent in my opinion but yes they do have their well documented shortcomings. On a hot day I do detect a slight drop off on performance when fully saturated, about 1-1.5 seconds per 2 minute lap. Certainly not huge but detectable. My IATs will spike into the 160F range when fully hot at the end of a 25min session running hard. They do quickly drop off on OFF throttle however. I am running custom built non VTG K16 based turbos with larger 997GT2RS compressors which keep the turbine speeds in check and works very well at such high altitudes. By comparison, one of my friends that runs stock 997TT VTGs in his E85 Cobb tuned .1TT hard at the track would see his IATs in excess of 200F with the .2ICs. Granted, he does drive his TT harder than anyone I know but he ended up burning up the .2ICs and also blew one of his turbos likely from ever speeding them in the thin air. The conditions we run in are definitely brutal on turbocharged cars as the turbos have to spin 20-30% faster to meet target boost values at our altitudes. As such, running larger compressors will go a long way to greater longevity.
Flaunt! LOL. With good reason though. Your weakness within the GT2 cooler setup still leaves me 9+ seconds behind you per lap.

Aside, I ironically agree with your statement. The VTG setup does run hot and will burn the GT2RS coolers up at the track. I considered a 68 upgrade with a detune to control the VTG generated heat. Not sure this is an option for me. I feel its a gamble with a refurbished turbo.

At what stage did the Refurb take place? Maybe the day prior to my last run before it failed?

I look forward to this development once the language barrier is resolved regarding the measurements.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:16 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SRM Engineering
Mikey,

The current model on our website performs as well as any other thicker-than-oem core on the market. Vr6tee running almost 1300whp saw excellent IAT data during the tuning process. We will be posting comparisons once John runs them at the track. This premium IC will cater to the track enthusiast who wants more consistent IAT's at medium power levels (
Understood, thx! My track days are limited to one or two events a year now so the price/performance ROI for me has a more off-the-shelf solution working for 99% of my driving. As an aside, Robert Boreham whose Boreham Motorsports has developed quite a reputation here in the PHX/AZ area, recommended your SRM IC's over all the rest.

Still fascinating to read the data and see these great new products being developed to fill folks needs on nearly 10 yr old cars and a 15 yr old engine platform.

Cheers
Mikey

Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
At 1200whp (based on airflow specifications at 600whp per core) the Aerospace ICs show a pressure drop of 3.43psi which is very good. At 600whp (300 per core) it's only 1.1psi. Clearly these intercoolers will support 1000+hp but unless you are on a road course doing continuous full throttle pulls for 20+ minutes, you will probably not get your moneys worth as traditional high flow cores IC like the SRMs have clearly demonstrated they are excellent for high HP shorter duration pulls experienced in drag racing, other straight line events or just all around use. This is the type of use most people fit into as there are not that many hardcore track guys out there. You have to bring the right weapon to the right fight. Porsche chose $20K Secan cores for their turbocharged race cars (as in road course) for a reason. Saving money was not one of them... lol

One other thing I was going to update is the weight of the Aerospace cores. The slightly longer ones they sent initially weighed 7 lbs which means the correct shorter ones will be 7 lbs, or slightly less. I just weighted the 997.2 cores and they are 7 lbs 4 oz with end tanks and 6 lbs 12 oz without. So even though the 4" Aerospace cores are 37% larger than the 997.2s, they are only about 4 oz heavier. That's great news as the last thing you want is more weight added to the back of the car. I know some of the 5" or thicker aftermarket intercoolers are 15+ lbs each which is a lot hanging off the rear bumper. It would come in handy if someone posted the weight of the various aftermarket ICs.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-24-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:17 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Any update on this?

Old 09-23-2016, 05:35 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1
Any update on this?
i think the proepr sized cores were finally de;livered. mock up and end tank welding should be done shortly

Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Correct. The proper size cores arrived last week and are in the process of having the end tanks welded. I should have them in the next week or so.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by IMI A
Any progress on this? Whilst GT2 RS coolers working well I'm still potentially interested in these. Also are they made in UK? Feel free to PM me.
Should have something soon. We've had the cores for about 6 months now but decided to go with billet end tanks instead of cast ones. Winter and other projects have taken precedence so things were put on the back burner. We "should" have the end tanks done in the next two weeks or so.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:33 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Any updates?

Check this one out for inspiration.
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/watch-...ole-1797482222

Old 08-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Duckstu
Any updates?
Yes. Here they are....4" Aerospace ICs.. Same stuff used by Airbus, Boeing, and in F1. The cooling fin surface area is immense due to the extremely fine fin structure and they are efficient at flowing up to 1200hp for the pair. At 9.5 lbs each they are also extremely lightweight at only 2.5lbs more than OEM 997.2s ICs! Compare this to other aftermarket "heatsinks" some of which tip the scales at close to 20lbs each. These are prototypes with cast end tanks. When time permits, the next set will have billet end tanks with possibly some more trick stuff thrown in.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WJThp2]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VAdYDU]

Old 09-05-2018, 01:00 AM
JR_PRO is an unknown quantity at this point
Just sent a message I’m interested in your IC’s if they are still for sale so please let me know. My user name at Rennlist is the same as here which is JR_PRO...THANKS!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.