997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GIAC Solves 997.2 Fuel System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
basically if you do this upgrade on a 997 you would be locked into a giac tune. or would this work with any other tuner?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:13 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
basically if you do this upgrade on a 997 you would be locked into a giac tune. or would this work with any other tuner?
You could use any tune.

But I don't think it's as easy as just hooking up a piece of hardware. I think there is some programming involved also. That's why it's been 7 years since the launch of the 3.8 DI platform and we are only now seeing fueling advancements.

GIAC tells me there is a lot of demand for this fuel system so my guess is that for a while they will only be selling to their existing customer base.

I have the car back all fixed no more codes/limps. Factory stock turbos so no lag at all and with the PDK it's just wicked.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
You could use any tune.

But I don't think it's as easy as just hooking up a piece of hardware. I think there is some programming involved also. That's why it's been 7 years since the launch of the 3.8 DI platform and we are only now seeing fueling advancements.

GIAC tells me there is a lot of demand for this fuel system so my guess is that for a while they will only be selling to their existing customer base.

I have the car back all fixed no more codes/limps. Factory stock turbos so no lag at all and with the PDK it's just wicked.

Don't hold back from us Long!!

We demand videos, 60-130 and 1/4 Vbox numbers ASAP!

Old 03-22-2016, 05:26 PM
somefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of light
similar to a standard modified injector and re scale in the ecu but with a high pressure direct injector.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
That's why it's been 7 years since the launch of the 3.8 DI platform and we are only now seeing fueling advancements.
I'd respectfully disagree with this statement only because we have gone through the same on the BMW platform. Its not the complexity of the system at all that held it back for so long. It came down to people getting comfortable pushing power with fueling being done in a way that hasn't been done before. Direct injection being new and having its limits everyone was too focused on trying to do things the conventional 'old' fashioned way trying to upgrade fuel pumps. Low pressure side is/was easy but even that took forever for someone to even try. To begin with having access to all the factory fuel mapping tables was necessary to realize where the actual limit was, if it was the oem fuel system hardware (HPFP, LPFP or DI injectors) or it was a calibration table somewhere in the DME that wasn't yet discovered that we had to change to get more fuel out of the car.

All that changed as soon as large turbo setups started to come out and cars got cheaper and more people were modifying for bigger hp. Fuel was a necessary and the only way feasible was to add secondary fueling the conventional way with a secondary fuel rail and injectors along with sorting the low pressure fuel side (fuel pumps, lines, regulator, return style system if required, etc). I know that this being the Porsche community there may be those of the elitist mindset roaming here but the Mazdaspeed guys were among the first on the Cobb platform and their direct injection motors to push secondary fueling along with DI in the aftermarket successfully. BMW community followed suit and now I'm seeing the same develop on the Porsche DI platform. It is proven to work and there's no reason why you'd just limit yourself to a fuel pump drop in unless those are your power goals. Low pressure side fuel pump upgrades such as an inline fuel pump to keep pressure from dropping out or adding a voltage booster on the OEM pumps have all been done tackled in the past and do work but once you've maxed the high pressure side there's nothing you can do on the low pressure side to push on further.

Secondary port fuel injection also deals with the issue of intake valve carbon buildup. Just try doing some googling around on carbon buildup on the BMW/Audi motors and you'll see how nasty it can get. With port fuel injection the fuel going over the intake valve will keep them in pristine shape which is a nice secondary benefit to running it on DI motors.

On this platform the next step is the PDK really, not fueling. Whoever wants more fuel on the car and is limited today CAN have it done today, period. PDK though is more involving but even that its being made into something way too complex than it really is. Since when does cutting the tranny case make upgrading the transmission impossible/hard?

Lastly, Huracan and some Lexus models come with direct and port injection from the factory, just some food for thought

Dzenno@PTF

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 03-22-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 PM
changster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond repute
If it were solved, they'd be selling it trying to make money. I call bull****.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by changster
whether giac or srm or anybody else it takes months of r&d to successfully build a new system that works and can be marketed to the public. it only takes 1 damaged car to destroy the integrity of a company by pushing a new product out to market to fast

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
whether giac or srm or anybody else it takes months of r&d to successfully build a new system that works and can be marketed to the public. it only takes 1 damaged car to destroy the integrity of a company by pushing a new product out to market to fast
That is one way of looking at it. Testing is definitely required but years isn't what it takes to release this sort of an upgrade especially at this point when its a proven solution for DI fuel limited platforms out there for years now. Mazdaspeeds are making north of 900whp with it on built internals motors and living long happy lives

Once the intake manifold spacer/rail/injector kits are ready I'm more than comfortable to tune with secondary port fuel injection on this platform. I've been at it for a long while and almost daily with BMWs and knowing the factory DME fuel tables and what's available from the secondary fuel controller side this will be no different.

Dzenno@PTF

Old 03-23-2016, 11:00 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Don't hold back from us Long!!

We demand videos, 60-130 and 1/4 Vbox numbers ASAP!
Should be coming in shortly brother!

I have an airstrip roll race (they don't let us launch from a dig) event April 2nd. It's in Bakersfield so it will be hot with really bad DA, but nice to see it stack up against other cars in the same conditions. Afterwards I'll go back to my new 60-130 spot to see what it can do. I like it because it's a relatively flat slope no more than -0.5 and its at sea level with no traffic.

I don't want to make predictions but I will be mad if it doesn't get mid-5's 60-130 with a 140+ 1/4 mile vBox trap speed. And it's not even FBO... and still with original factory stock turbos and diverter valves with 38,000 miles on the clock Forget supercar, this thing has hypercar performance just waiting to be unleashed with a couple of bolt-on parts and good tuning.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:13 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
All i know is your car flies as usual ,i'll be at the No fly zone event also hopefully there will be a lot Pcars again like at the last event.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Should be coming in shortly brother!

I have an airstrip roll race (they don't let us launch from a dig) event April 2nd. It's in Bakersfield so it will be hot with really bad DA, but nice to see it stack up against other cars in the same conditions. Afterwards I'll go back to my new 60-130 spot to see what it can do. I like it because it's a relatively flat slope no more than -0.5 and its at sea level with no traffic.

I don't want to make predictions but I will be mad if it doesn't get mid-5's 60-130 with a 140+ 1/4 mile vBox trap speed. And it's not even FBO... and still with original factory stock turbos and diverter valves with 38,000 miles on the clock Forget supercar, this thing has hypercar performance just waiting to be unleashed with a couple of bolt-on parts and good tuning.

NICE!

What fuel are you going to be running?

Those times would be very, very strong for such a light bolt on car.

Does this fuel system upgrade also help you on pump gas and what numbers do you think you would pull pump?

Old 03-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by twturbo
All i know is your car flies as usual ,i'll be at the No fly zone event also hopefully there will be a lot Pcars again like at the last event.
Hey Adam - your car was running very strong at Shift Sector! You may not know but I actually raced it when IPD Mike was driving it.

See you at NFZ!

Old 03-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
NICE!

What fuel are you going to be running?

Those times would be very, very strong for such a light bolt on car.

Does this fuel system upgrade also help you on pump gas and what numbers do you think you would pull pump?
Right now the car is only tuned for MS109.

GIAC is going to burn me a pump file just for driving around town, but likely I will never use it.

Since I run 100% meth and with the more robust fuel system, I can now mix pump gas with a substantial amount of ethanol - like e30 or e40. E30/40 plus meth should be able get full timing advance on a race map. In this event, it would yield the same acceleration times.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by changster
Reading comprehension fail.

"Solved" and "selling it for a profit" are mutually exclusive. GIAC sells tunes through retailers. This system is going out to GIAC customers once the tune is perfected. You don't need to pollute this thread further or worry about it because you're not getting one.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
That is one way of looking at it. Testing is definitely required but years isn't what it takes to release this sort of an upgrade especially at this point when its a proven solution for DI fuel limited platforms out there for years now. Mazdaspeeds are making north of 900whp with it on built internals motors and living long happy lives

Once the intake manifold spacer/rail/injector kits are ready I'm more than comfortable to tune with secondary port fuel injection on this platform. I've been at it for a long while and almost daily with BMWs and knowing the factory DME fuel tables and what's available from the secondary fuel controller side this will be no different.

Dzenno@PTF
the reason its taken this long is that there wasnt a demand for this upgrade when the car was 90k$ and up. much like the 996 turbo until the newer versions came out and the price of the 997.1 came down to a point that folks are willing to risk the expense of upgrading the motor to high output levels.

respectfully these cars arent 40k$ bmw cars. the 335 can be had for 11k$ cheap enough to mod and burn it up no harm. same for a 40k$ m3 or m5. and even with tons of fueling available the bmw dont make the power these cars are capable of. i ran jusyt about every bmw willing to line up at timmayfest for 4 yrs. never lost t one. ran a 800 hp m3 at 1/2 mile dragged him the entire length of the runway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC Solves 997.2 Fuel System