997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Video: Bolt-on 997.2 takes on monster-builds at NoFlyZone California 1/2 Mile Event

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bigrpowr
on a generalized calculator off trap speed in 1/4 mile your car makes 580-600 . they usually arent far off either way , but general.

side note, which vbox do you use? the sport ?
How many 580-600 wheel hp full weight cars have you ever seen trap 139+ mph in the 1/4 mile?

I use the normal vbox not the sport.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 PM
bigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nice
Originally Posted by longboarder
How many 580-600 wheel hp full weight cars have you ever seen trap 139+ mph in the 1/4 mile?

I use the normal vbox not the sport.
i used 3200 lbs @ 139 , it was 583 , 3400 lbs is 619 . ive seen 6000 lb trucks trap 165 , so i've seen alot of heavy stuff go much faster than you . my 8400lb truck runs 120 mph , but thats only about 1000hp .

i was only going off a standard automotive calculator. didn't mean to offend you. i believed these cars weighed 3000-3200 . maybe i'm way off .

Last edited by bigrpowr; 04-07-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:15 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
i used 3200 lbs @ 139 , it was 583 , 3400 lbs is 619 . ive seen 6000 lb trucks trap 165 , so i've seen alot of heavy stuff go much faster than you . my 8400lb truck runs 120 mph , but thats only about 1000hp .

i was only going off a standard automotive calculator. didn't mean to offend you. i believed these cars weighed 3000-3200 . maybe i'm way off .

No worries this is a good discussion. But let's not compare other modified cars because we run into the same issue with dyno variation.

The only cars that we can truly be comfortable with are OEM cars as the HP rating is subject to all sorts of procedures and third party verification.

So which OEM cars trap 139? Well we have the Bugatti Veyron at 139.4 and pretty close to that is the Porsche 918 at low 140's. The Porsche is making 887 HP / 944 TQ and the Veyron 1,001 HP / 922 TQ. Both of these are heavier than the 997.2 Turbo S however they are making FAR greater than 580 wheel HP. Google search shows that my car has a curb weight of 3,494 to 3,660 lbs. and a Porsche 918 is 3,602 to 3,660. So not far off. They Veyron is a porker at 4,162 lbs.

So the 918 is a closer comparison to my car. Similar weight and similar traps. I have two videos racing a 918 where we are pretty close up to 130 mph.

So what kind of power does it take for a 3,500 lb car to do 139 in the quarter mile? More like 750-775 crank which is approx. 650 wheel hp.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:23 PM
bigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nice
on my calculator ( on my website ) http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/calc.php , it shows 638 for 3500 lbs at 139 . so , close. drivetrain loss and other factors will change but it's the way we in the truck world gauge actual wheel hp . i think power under the curve is where this car really shines , hence why it smashes others with more dyno hp and similar weight. i figure mine is close to 650 , i'll get a vbox and see what it says, as well back it up at the 1/4 mi . mine is a tip so it should 60ft pretty decent , maybe not as good or consistent as a car with launch control, but i think the 60 can be pretty good, mid 1.60's on a prepped track .

Old 04-08-2017, 07:49 PM
on my calculator ( on my website ) http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/calc.php , it shows 638 for 3500 lbs at 139 . so , close. drivetrain loss and other factors will change but it's the way we in the truck world gauge actual wheel hp . i think power under the curve is where this car really shines , hence why it smashes others with more dyno hp and similar weight. i figure mine is close to 650 , i'll get a vbox and see what it says, as well back it up at the 1/4 mi . mine is a tip so it should 60ft pretty decent , maybe not as good or consistent as a car with launch control, but i think the 60 can be pretty good, mid 1.60's on a prepped track .

The HP Calculator here is pretty sophisticated, taking into consideration weight, aero, rotating mass of wheels/tires, density altitude, slope of run, etc.

http://www.vboxtools.com/

Using this one I'm closer to 680 wheel on my airstrip runs and over 700 on runs in the early morning.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:00 PM
The HP Calculator here is pretty sophisticated, taking into consideration weight, aero, rotating mass of wheels/tires, density altitude, slope of run, etc.

http://www.vboxtools.com/

Using this one I'm closer to 680 wheel on my airstrip runs and over 700 on runs in the early morning.
sounds like the one you should always use assuming the weight calculation is correct. is there enough dyno info from guys with similar setups to get an average ? in the truck world we have enough drag strip passes with pretty controlled oem parameters like tune/intake/exhaust that we know roughly what it makes , and enough with turbo upgrades, fuel upgrades, etc , that the real world trap speed vs. ACTUAL weight its pretty much a known science within the field. we always ask for them to weigh their vehicles before spewing numbers though. easy enough to find scales somewhere around nearby . todd at protomotive tells me i should be close to 700 with my setup , so i'll go weigh mine and see !

Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Just as an update, the 991.2 that I raced in race #9 just went 10.1 @ 136.X at Famoso on Saturday. The car was completely unchanged from our race at NFZ 7 days prior.

Our race was terrific dead even launch and my 997.2 pulled hard on this car which I believe fully supports my car's ability to achieve a 139.X trap speed in the 1/4 mile.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo568.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	473979  
Old 04-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Just as an update, the 991.2 that I raced in race #9 just went 10.1 @ 136.X at Famoso on Saturday. The car was completely unchanged from our race at NFZ 7 days prior.

Our race was terrific dead even launch and my 997.2 pulled hard on this car which I believe fully supports my car's ability to achieve a 139.X trap speed in the 1/4 mile.
that 60ft was awesome !

Old 05-12-2017, 03:37 PM

So interestingly to close the loop on this, I did recently go to the drag strip and ran almost exactly 139.

It was my only run of the day and it was at 1:30pm in the afternoon - hottest part of the day. This track runs 7 feet UPhill. I was on pump 91 fuel in addition to the meth. My car is faster on race gas+meth. The car that I was racing made 772 wheel HP (built + upgraded turbo GTR) and he trapped a tad bit less than me. So based on this, I'm making at least 750-775 crank.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...9-fontana.html

Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Hi Adam. Did I see you not too long ago in a white 991 Turbo S on PCH?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
Hi Adam. Did I see you not too long ago in a white 991 Turbo S on PCH?
Hey what's up. I drive pch through Laguna everyday but it prob wasn't me as my 991 has been at the shop for months trying to figure out how to make it quicker than the 997.2 haha. The 991 is white with black aerokit so a little differnt than most. What's your ride?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:50 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Hey what's up. I drive pch through Laguna everyday but it prob wasn't me as my 991 has been at the shop for months trying to figure out how to make it quicker than the 997.2 haha. The 991 is white with black aerokit so a little differnt than most. What's your ride?
It's me, your neighbor. With the GT2.

It might have been longer. I wasn't driving the GT2 so you might have not recognized me. Been dealing with some headaches with my car so time flies. My car has been hating me lately; been giving me a lot headache.
Did the turbos, then the SPEC clutch grenaded at only 1bar. I put in a Tilton and a CNC master. Then I had a freak belt tensioner arm split\crack, which meant I had to take almost half the engine off. The car died right at the gate. Had to go get the battery booster just to drive up the hill. While I was in there elbows deep, I decided to do a plenum n TB, injectors, different Intercoolers\y-pipe, ECU, yada, yada. It gave me an excuse... The car is still on jack stands. Will put it together over the weekend. Hopefully. Then tuning starts next week, once a few pieces come from Australia.
Btw, since you moved, I'm the only one with a loud car so the neighbors will tar n feather me soon... lol

Old 05-14-2017, 04:16 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Its always a pleasure to watch your videos. Keep on having fun :-)

Old 05-16-2017, 12:04 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
looks like you got the jump on a lot of those cars, but regardless, the car is a total beast off the line.... Im speechless... Amazing job on that car.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
It's me, your neighbor. With the GT2.

It might have been longer. I wasn't driving the GT2 so you might have not recognized me. Been dealing with some headaches with my car so time flies. My car has been hating me lately; been giving me a lot headache.
Did the turbos, then the SPEC clutch grenaded at only 1bar. I put in a Tilton and a CNC master. Then I had a freak belt tensioner arm split\crack, which meant I had to take almost half the engine off. The car died right at the gate. Had to go get the battery booster just to drive up the hill. While I was in there elbows deep, I decided to do a plenum n TB, injectors, different Intercoolers\y-pipe, ECU, yada, yada. It gave me an excuse... The car is still on jack stands. Will put it together over the weekend. Hopefully. Then tuning starts next week, once a few pieces come from Australia.
Btw, since you moved, I'm the only one with a loud car so the neighbors will tar n feather me soon... lol

Oh damn what's up yeah haven't seen you or your brother in a while even though I just moved down the street. Good to hear you car is coming back together. Hopefully everything is resolved.

Used to spot you every morning at Laguna Coffee. Did you buy that place?

Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Its always a pleasure to watch your videos. Keep on having fun :-)

Amen will do brother!

Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
looks like you got the jump on a lot of those cars, but regardless, the car is a total beast off the line.... Im speechless... Amazing job on that car.

F u go on 2 lol jk

Pretty clear a lot of these guys are new at this. I want the races to be close so it's a shame when the driver botches.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.