997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 TT Track questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:32 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
997.2 TT Track questions

Hey folks I'm well versed with the 996tt and 997gt3 platform but potential new to the 997.2tt.

I like to do some spirited Track days 5-8/year and am looking for what mods would be used for a 997.2 with CL and PCCBs.

Beyond the Girodisk option is there something more economical in the 380mm size? Also what wheels are folks using that accommodate CL and 380mm rotor clearance?

For those that have tracked this car is a flash needed? My previous 6TTs were well setup and wondering how far I need to go down the path with the 997.2.

I already have seat/harness/fire but will need a good rollbar as well.

Thanks in advance!
M

Old 02-17-2018, 10:28 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Tracked my 997.2TTS and all it needed were TPC DSC module, TPC’s racing sway bars, girodiscs/pagid yellows pads and street/track tires (RE11s, R888 or Cup 2s). The car doesn’t need a flash/tune for the track as the car is more than quick enough (although my car was tuned). At the track, the factors to overcome in a turbo are the braking, suspension/handling and lateral weight transfer. The above was more than adequate for the occasional track day.

There are more track dedicated set ups around but the above kept the turbo fairly planted through the corners and heaviest braking zones...the turbo took care of the straights!!

Old 02-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for insight!

Old 02-17-2018, 09:35 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
You’re welcome and don’t forget to get a track alignment.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:54 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
The other issue you run into at the track in a turbo is intercooler heat soak. After a while your power noticeably goes down.

Walt

Old 02-19-2018, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by WaltB
The other issue you run into at the track in a turbo is intercooler heat soak. After a while your power noticeably goes down.

Walt
Nice setup Walt!
I put the 997gt2rs ICs in my flashed K16 01tt and it never suffered heat soak on the engine Andy power loss (that I could tell). The brakes however were ridiculously under power with the 4-pot and 330mm. O combo of cooling ducts and fluid would help. Switched to the 07 GT3 and 6-pot 350mm was muuuuch better. Now my GT350R is even better than that!

I hope the Stock ICs can handle the task, if now may need to step up but it’s further down my expensive list.

How do you like your Europipe and is it catless?

Old 02-22-2018, 06:28 AM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
The GT2 rear bar can be a nice add on if you feel too much understeer on the stock wheel and tire sizes. It works well in both stock and modified cars. AP should have steel 380 rotors that can work, and so might EBwerks. The offset of the rotors is different from the 380 gt2/3 cars, so those won't cross shop.

If you flash, it will be harder on everything, ICs, cats etc. flashes do are tough on race cat longevity on long pulls, so consider catless if you go full bolt on.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Webspoke
The GT2 rear bar can be a nice add on if you feel too much understeer on the stock wheel and tire sizes. It works well in both stock and modified cars. AP should have steel 380 rotors that can work, and so might EBwerks. The offset of the rotors is different from the 380 gt2/3 cars, so those won't cross shop.

If you flash, it will be harder on everything, ICs, cats etc. flashes do are tough on race cat longevity on long pulls, so consider catless if you go full bolt on.
Thanks for the idea on EBWerks- just IM’d Enrique for details.
I hear you in the flash and race gas burn. After inspecting my previous aftermarket system on the 996tt that was flashed and ran 100oct the cats were virtually empty!

I ran 9”/12” CCWwheels on my previous 997.1GT3 and beyond alignment nothing more on suspension and was very impressed. Hoping a decent track wheel/tire/alignment is sufficient. I do think it needs a bit of a drop though- so springs and other bits to get proper Toe... slippery slope!

Old 02-22-2018, 04:07 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
All have great ideas and suggestion. The biggest issues to overcome in the order of importance in my opinion are:

1) Braking (make sure you run as good a set-up as you can) and run track fluid and flush it often.
2) PSM comes on whether you know it or not so invest in a laser temp gauge and after each session measure your caliper temperatures. You'll be amazed at how hot the rears get. If they get too hot, make sure that you cool them down and adjust your driving.
3) Understeering and weight transfer. The car is heavy and it tends to understeer quite a bit so a bunch of suggestions were made in terms of sway bars and the DSC module. That is a good set-up.

Get yourself a good helmet, take out the floor mat and have fun. These cars are awesome. Mine is pretty much set-up more for track than the road but I love it and if you want to know what I did let me know and I'll spell it out.

Cheers.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:27 AM
Thanks 512- yes would love to hear about your setup. I’ve had a few nicely setup cars in the past but not looking to go crazy with this one but do want to ensure I have the right setup and plan.