Notices
997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

Decision Time... Help!

 
  #1  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
Finwiz12000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Decision Time... Help!

I'm a first time Porsche owner. I apologize for the long post. This is not my DD, and I've previously owned M5s and AMGs.

I'm looking for some thoughts/guidance on something I've been pondering. Last October, I purchased a 07' 997.1 TT Tip with 27k on the odometer from a reputable Porsche dealer. The car had a clean car fax, all services done, plugs changed, etc. I drove it for about 400 miles before the weather changed. Before it sat for the Winter I wanted to have the oil changed. On my way home from the dealer the CEL came on. When I got home, I checked and it pulled the infamous P0021 code. I Took it back to the Stealership and they reset it (wanted to have it documented) and told to come back if it happens again. It did not. Until now.

I recently took the car out after sitting for a few months and it ran PERFECT all day. The next morning I take it out and the CEL came on about 5 Minutes into the drive?! I returned home and pulled the Same Code P0021 - SOOO frustrating! I understand this is common with the '07 Metzger's.

Here is my dilemma: I'm considering taking the car to a reputable Porsche garage that I was referred to (other recommendations would be appreciated, I'm in Powell Ohio) and having them drop the engine and address the camshaft issues, including replacing the actuators and sensors, along with welding/pinning the coolant lines to be most cost affective. I am done worrying about when the coolant hoses are going to let-go, and if/when the camshaft is going to spin. I understand this is a Major job and would cost around 10-20k.

With that said, would I be better off cutting my losses and putting that towards a newer 911 TT??? I would presume they have their own issues of equivalent nature?

I LOVE my car so I'm torn and frustrated on what to do?

Thanks in Advance!

 
  #2  
Old 03-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Roffle Waffle's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: instagram @997TurboTom
Posts: 490
Rep Power: 79
Roffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond repute
if you're considering selling the car, you'll lose more money selling as-is than fixing the cam. Just don't do the coolant pipes if you want to sell, you don't get the money back

if you're keeping the car, get a quote to do both jobs from a few places
 
  #3  
Old 03-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX
Age: 32
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
ShatterPoints will become famous soon enoughShatterPoints will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Finwiz12000 View Post
I'm a first time Porsche owner. I apologize for the long post. This is not my DD, and I've previously owned M5s and AMGs.

I'm looking for some thoughts/guidance on something I've been pondering. Last October, I purchased a 07' 997.1 TT Tip with 27k on the odometer from a reputable Porsche dealer. The car had a clean car fax, all services done, plugs changed, etc. I drove it for about 400 miles before the weather changed. Before it sat for the Winter I wanted to have the oil changed. On my way home from the dealer the CEL came on. When I got home, I checked and it pulled the infamous P0021 code. I Took it back to the Stealership and they reset it (wanted to have it documented) and told to come back if it happens again. It did not. Until now.

I recently took the car out after sitting for a few months and it ran PERFECT all day. The next morning I take it out and the CEL came on about 5 Minutes into the drive?! I returned home and pulled the Same Code P0021 - SOOO frustrating! I understand this is common with the '07 Metzger's.

Here is my dilemma: I'm considering taking the car to a reputable Porsche garage that I was referred to (other recommendations would be appreciated, I'm in Powell Ohio) and having them drop the engine and address the camshaft issues, including replacing the actuators and sensors, along with welding/pinning the coolant lines to be most cost affective. I am done worrying about when the coolant hoses are going to let-go, and if/when the camshaft is going to spin. I understand this is a Major job and would cost around 10-20k.

With that said, would I be better off cutting my losses and putting that towards a newer 911 TT??? I would presume they have their own issues of equivalent nature?

I LOVE my car so I'm torn and frustrated on what to do?

Thanks in Advance!
LOL which is it?? Were they reputable or a stealership? Did you do a PPI? If you sell the car now will the loss be more than the repair bill? That in of itself would be the deciding factor for me. If the loss is less than the repair bill then look at it as a very expensive post-purchase inspection LOL.
 
  #4  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
Finwiz12000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
LOL which is it?? Were they reputable or a stealership? Did you do a PPI? If you sell the car now will the loss be more than the repair bill? That in of itself would be the deciding factor for me. If the loss is less than the repair bill then look at it as a very expensive post-purchase inspection LOL.
Yes, reputable and a PPI was completed by a different garage. But as they say, just because a PPI was completed doesn't indicate the car is perfect and sound and will forever remain that way; its a mechanical device and things can change instantly. It IS a great way to help confirm the history and current state of the mechanicals of the car etc.

I'm acquiring quotes now for the previously noted work now and that will ultimately determine where I may go with everything. I'm leaning on keeping the car. I KNEW I should've bought that super-reliable Honda V-tech. NOT!!!
 
  #5  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
Finwiz12000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
if you're considering selling the car, you'll lose more money selling as-is than fixing the cam. Just don't do the coolant pipes if you want to sell, you don't get the money back

if you're keeping the car, get a quote to do both jobs from a few places
Thanks Roffle Waffle, I'm leaning on keeping the car and I am acquiring quotes now to determine price points for the work from different places. Finger's crossed!!!
 
  #6  
Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Mark @ AIM Performance's Avatar
Basic Sponsor
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S.Plainfield, NJ
Posts: 6,494
Rep Power: 842
Mark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond reputeMark @ AIM Performance has a reputation beyond repute
fix the cam, weld the pipes. keep invoices for service records. when you go to sell your car and a guy contacts you and says well there are 3 cars for 60k that I saw for sale that's when you say yea cool but mine has the cams and the coolant pipes fixed - which are both a pita and not cheap.
 
__________________
#TeamAIM
997TT SilverSpool - 210.8 mph 1/2 Mile WR Apr 2019, 9.2 @ 168 mph 1/4 Mile Manual World Record , 3.15 60-130 mph , 2.72 100-150 mph , 1400whp E85
996TT SpoolBus - 204.6 mph 1/2 Mile 996TT WR Aug 2018, 9.5 @ 154 mph, 3.8 60-130 mph, 2.5 100-150 mph Manual Porsche World Record, 1400whp E85
997TT SlowBerry - 204.988 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 165 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.86 60-130 mph , 3.19 100-150 mph , 1312whp E85 , 875whp on 93
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
  #7  
Old 03-20-2019, 04:56 PM
M3 Maestro's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 444
Rep Power: 121
M3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by prodigymb
fix the cam, weld the pipes. keep invoices for service records. when you go to sell your car and a guy contacts you and says well there are 3 cars for 60k that I saw for sale that's when you say yea cool but mine has the cams and the coolant pipes fixed - which are both a pita and not cheap.
I agree. Don't give up on it
 
  #8  
Old 03-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wayne NJ
Age: 29
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 0
o7silverturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you tried swapping the solenoids to see if it moves before tearing into the engine?
 
  #9  
Old 03-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2017
Age: 43
Posts: 148
Rep Power: 13
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Fin, give me a PM. I had this happen on my 997 after 3 months of ownership. I'm in Dublin, OH. Not far from you. We can chat and I can update you on what I did and if I had it to do over again, anything I would do differently. Of course, I took the opportunity to turn it into the best VTG 997 turbo in the country today but you don't have to go that far.
 
  #10  
Old 03-23-2019, 06:41 PM
M3 Maestro's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 444
Rep Power: 121
M3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't personally ridden in Dguths car however I have seen the data logs. I think it will cheer you up I recommend taking him up on it

Luckily I haven't experienced the cam issue however I did drop the engine out of my car within the first few months of ownership to take care of the coolant pipe deal. You can see everything I did in my build thread. I was pretty bummed however I'm glad I stuck to it. These platforms are solid otherwise. Good luck! Plenty of good resources around the forum to help you.
 
  #11  
Old 03-24-2019, 06:17 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
Finwiz12000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Dguth View Post
Hey Fin, give me a PM. I had this happen on my 997 after 3 months of ownership. I'm in Dublin, OH. Not far from you. We can chat and I can update you on what I did and if I had it to do over again, anything I would do differently. Of course, I took the opportunity to turn it into the best VTG 997 turbo in the country today but you don't have to go that far.
Thanks Dguth! PM Sent! I would love to get your thoughts and guidance on this and other items. Its greatly appreciated.
 
  #12  
Old 03-24-2019, 06:21 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
Finwiz12000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro View Post
I haven't personally ridden in Dguths car however I have seen the data logs. I think it will cheer you up I recommend taking him up on it

Luckily I haven't experienced the cam issue however I did drop the engine out of my car within the first few months of ownership to take care of the coolant pipe deal. You can see everything I did in my build thread. I was pretty bummed however I'm glad I stuck to it. These platforms are solid otherwise. Good luck! Plenty of good resources around the forum to help you.
Thanks M3 Maestro,

I plan on keeping it, just figuring it all out. Its great to have a resource like site with individuals like yourself and others whom have replied to help!!! Thank you.
 
  #13  
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 AM
A418t81's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southeast
Age: 37
Posts: 566
Rep Power: 120
A418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond reputeA418t81 has a reputation beyond repute
The camshaft pinning job is 5-6k, not 10-20k. While the engine is out you might as well do all the other things it needs though, which will push the bill up to around 10k. But then you have a future-proofed car ready to go for a very long time.
 
  #14  
Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
Finwiz12000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply A418t81!

Agreed, on the 10k. I might've been a little high on the 10-20k range but that range was for everything being completed; like your referenced, I will/want to have most/all of the required engine work completed while the engine is out, including coolant hoses, actuators, sensors, water pump etc. I Just want to be proactive on these items and to obviously save labor and to hopefully bullet-proof the car a bit.

Thanks again!
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
aznevoviii
Lamborghini
13
08-14-2010 05:28 PM
rahul
997 Turbo / GT2
12
06-05-2007 10:27 AM
mogz
997
44
04-22-2006 01:10 AM
20C4S
996 Turbo / GT2
17
03-22-2004 09:45 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Decision Time... Help!


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.