997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Decision Time... Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Finwiz12000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Decision Time... Help!

I'm a first time Porsche owner. I apologize for the long post. This is not my DD, and I've previously owned M5s and AMGs.

I'm looking for some thoughts/guidance on something I've been pondering. Last October, I purchased a 07' 997.1 TT Tip with 27k on the odometer from a reputable Porsche dealer. The car had a clean car fax, all services done, plugs changed, etc. I drove it for about 400 miles before the weather changed. Before it sat for the Winter I wanted to have the oil changed. On my way home from the dealer the CEL came on. When I got home, I checked and it pulled the infamous P0021 code. I Took it back to the Stealership and they reset it (wanted to have it documented) and told to come back if it happens again. It did not. Until now.

I recently took the car out after sitting for a few months and it ran PERFECT all day. The next morning I take it out and the CEL came on about 5 Minutes into the drive?! I returned home and pulled the Same Code P0021 - SOOO frustrating! I understand this is common with the '07 Metzger's.

Here is my dilemma: I'm considering taking the car to a reputable Porsche garage that I was referred to (other recommendations would be appreciated, I'm in Powell Ohio) and having them drop the engine and address the camshaft issues, including replacing the actuators and sensors, along with welding/pinning the coolant lines to be most cost affective. I am done worrying about when the coolant hoses are going to let-go, and if/when the camshaft is going to spin. I understand this is a Major job and would cost around 10-20k.

With that said, would I be better off cutting my losses and putting that towards a newer 911 TT??? I would presume they have their own issues of equivalent nature?

I LOVE my car so I'm torn and frustrated on what to do?

Thanks in Advance!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:22 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
if you're considering selling the car, you'll lose more money selling as-is than fixing the cam. Just don't do the coolant pipes if you want to sell, you don't get the money back

if you're keeping the car, get a quote to do both jobs from a few places

Old 03-20-2019, 12:08 PM
ShatterPoints is just really niceShatterPoints is just really niceShatterPoints is just really niceShatterPoints is just really nice
Originally Posted by Finwiz12000
I'm a first time Porsche owner. I apologize for the long post. This is not my DD, and I've previously owned M5s and AMGs.

I'm looking for some thoughts/guidance on something I've been pondering. Last October, I purchased a 07' 997.1 TT Tip with 27k on the odometer from a reputable Porsche dealer. The car had a clean car fax, all services done, plugs changed, etc. I drove it for about 400 miles before the weather changed. Before it sat for the Winter I wanted to have the oil changed. On my way home from the dealer the CEL came on. When I got home, I checked and it pulled the infamous P0021 code. I Took it back to the Stealership and they reset it (wanted to have it documented) and told to come back if it happens again. It did not. Until now.

I recently took the car out after sitting for a few months and it ran PERFECT all day. The next morning I take it out and the CEL came on about 5 Minutes into the drive?! I returned home and pulled the Same Code P0021 - SOOO frustrating! I understand this is common with the '07 Metzger's.

Here is my dilemma: I'm considering taking the car to a reputable Porsche garage that I was referred to (other recommendations would be appreciated, I'm in Powell Ohio) and having them drop the engine and address the camshaft issues, including replacing the actuators and sensors, along with welding/pinning the coolant lines to be most cost affective. I am done worrying about when the coolant hoses are going to let-go, and if/when the camshaft is going to spin. I understand this is a Major job and would cost around 10-20k.

With that said, would I be better off cutting my losses and putting that towards a newer 911 TT??? I would presume they have their own issues of equivalent nature?

I LOVE my car so I'm torn and frustrated on what to do?

Thanks in Advance!
LOL which is it?? Were they reputable or a stealership? Did you do a PPI? If you sell the car now will the loss be more than the repair bill? That in of itself would be the deciding factor for me. If the loss is less than the repair bill then look at it as a very expensive post-purchase inspection LOL.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
LOL which is it?? Were they reputable or a stealership? Did you do a PPI? If you sell the car now will the loss be more than the repair bill? That in of itself would be the deciding factor for me. If the loss is less than the repair bill then look at it as a very expensive post-purchase inspection LOL.
Yes, reputable and a PPI was completed by a different garage. But as they say, just because a PPI was completed doesn't indicate the car is perfect and sound and will forever remain that way; its a mechanical device and things can change instantly. It IS a great way to help confirm the history and current state of the mechanicals of the car etc.

I'm acquiring quotes now for the previously noted work now and that will ultimately determine where I may go with everything. I'm leaning on keeping the car. I KNEW I should've bought that super-reliable Honda V-tech. NOT!!!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
if you're considering selling the car, you'll lose more money selling as-is than fixing the cam. Just don't do the coolant pipes if you want to sell, you don't get the money back

if you're keeping the car, get a quote to do both jobs from a few places
Thanks Roffle Waffle, I'm leaning on keeping the car and I am acquiring quotes now to determine price points for the work from different places. Finger's crossed!!!

Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
fix the cam, weld the pipes. keep invoices for service records. when you go to sell your car and a guy contacts you and says well there are 3 cars for 60k that I saw for sale that's when you say yea cool but mine has the cams and the coolant pipes fixed - which are both a pita and not cheap.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-20-2019, 04:56 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
fix the cam, weld the pipes. keep invoices for service records. when you go to sell your car and a guy contacts you and says well there are 3 cars for 60k that I saw for sale that's when you say yea cool but mine has the cams and the coolant pipes fixed - which are both a pita and not cheap.
I agree. Don't give up on it

Old 03-23-2019, 10:48 AM
o7silverturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you tried swapping the solenoids to see if it moves before tearing into the engine?

Old 03-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Fin, give me a PM. I had this happen on my 997 after 3 months of ownership. I'm in Dublin, OH. Not far from you. We can chat and I can update you on what I did and if I had it to do over again, anything I would do differently. Of course, I took the opportunity to turn it into the best VTG 997 turbo in the country today but you don't have to go that far.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:41 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
I haven't personally ridden in Dguths car however I have seen the data logs. I think it will cheer you up I recommend taking him up on it

Luckily I haven't experienced the cam issue however I did drop the engine out of my car within the first few months of ownership to take care of the coolant pipe deal. You can see everything I did in my build thread. I was pretty bummed however I'm glad I stuck to it. These platforms are solid otherwise. Good luck! Plenty of good resources around the forum to help you.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by Dguth
Hey Fin, give me a PM. I had this happen on my 997 after 3 months of ownership. I'm in Dublin, OH. Not far from you. We can chat and I can update you on what I did and if I had it to do over again, anything I would do differently. Of course, I took the opportunity to turn it into the best VTG 997 turbo in the country today but you don't have to go that far.
Thanks Dguth! PM Sent! I would love to get your thoughts and guidance on this and other items. Its greatly appreciated.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
I haven't personally ridden in Dguths car however I have seen the data logs. I think it will cheer you up I recommend taking him up on it

Luckily I haven't experienced the cam issue however I did drop the engine out of my car within the first few months of ownership to take care of the coolant pipe deal. You can see everything I did in my build thread. I was pretty bummed however I'm glad I stuck to it. These platforms are solid otherwise. Good luck! Plenty of good resources around the forum to help you.
Thanks M3 Maestro,

I plan on keeping it, just figuring it all out. Its great to have a resource like site with individuals like yourself and others whom have replied to help!!! Thank you.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 AM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
The camshaft pinning job is 5-6k, not 10-20k. While the engine is out you might as well do all the other things it needs though, which will push the bill up to around 10k. But then you have a future-proofed car ready to go for a very long time.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the reply A418t81!

Agreed, on the 10k. I might've been a little high on the 10-20k range but that range was for everything being completed; like your referenced, I will/want to have most/all of the required engine work completed while the engine is out, including coolant hoses, actuators, sensors, water pump etc. I Just want to be proactive on these items and to obviously save labor and to hopefully bullet-proof the car a bit.

Thanks again!