997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Will 08 model year Turbos work on an 07 997 t?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:13 PM
darkhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Will 08 model year Turbos work on an 07 997 t?

So Im finding it hard to get a definite answer. Can anyone confirm if there is any difference ? I can get some 08 stock turbos for my 997 tt, which is a 2007 car?
I have been grinding through the parts catalogue and it shows different part numbers for 05-07 and 08-09 cars? The turbos look identical to mine. Can someone confirm for me if this is going to work !?

many thanks

Old 05-07-2019, 03:11 PM
JJT
JJT is on a distinguished road
Is the same

Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by JJT
Is the same
thanks JJT

Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 AM
RickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to all
Yes identical. Gen 2 are different

Old 05-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Thanks RIckrst

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi Dark,
The actuators are superseded. Same turbos and even the actuators will work. You can have them calibrated or even use your originals. What happened to your original turbos?
Thanks. They have corroded badly. The UK climate is not good for 911 turbo setup, lots of rain and salted roads!

I dont imagine anyone here has suffered from such bad corrosion? but Im having a nightmare getting the water line out (and possible the return and oil line on top) . Does anyone know if these can be replaced with the engine in? or lowered on its mounts? It looks gnarly for access. Just wondering if I am going to need to remove the engine to replace these damn things!

Is it the same setup on a 996tt?

You mention having to get the newer turbos programmed (the actuators) will I be able to drive it to somewhere with PIWIS? We dont have the options of numerous experienced tuning shops where I am located in the country unfortunately.

I would have expected them to be calibrated as they are off a stock 997 turbo?

THANKS!

Last edited by darkhorse1; 05-09-2019 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:13 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
When I asked about actuator adaptations the other day everyone said they aren't necessary.

Here is a pic of where those lines run. It looks difficult with engine in.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo420.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	532590  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi Dark,
The actuators are superseded. Same turbos and even the actuators will work. You can have them calibrated or even use your originals. What happened to your original turbos?
Originally Posted by turboslut
When I asked about actuator adaptations the other day everyone said they aren't necessary.

Here is a pic of where those lines run. It looks difficult with engine in.
Thanks for the heads up on the actuator adapations.

Looks like it will be a while before I find out looking at that picture of where the lines go !!

Thanks for that, much appreciated, but it looks nasty for access. Maybe the engine will have to come out then..!

Old 05-09-2019, 10:10 AM
JJT
JJT is on a distinguished road
it's difficult but not impossible

Old 05-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by JJT
it's difficult but not impossible

Thanks JJT!
Have you had to replace them all on both sides then? or just think they are do able?

I wonder how long it will take to get the engine out as a first go on axle stands. Will it be quicker guys? Ive got an engine crane, was thinking of having the car low (ish), get the engine ready to come out except mounts, jack under tranny, lift the car higher onto stands, and use the engine crane to lower it down with the tranny.
Would be way easier on a ramp, but I bet plenty have done it on here? Having said that, its staying in if they can be done with it in.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 AM
It looks like at least one (or two in fact) goes under the inlet manifold. I just cant see how I could get that replaced with the engine in the car?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
I went in for a routine spark plug/coils service last year and ended up replacing my turbos due to excessive corrosion at all the attachment points. The car was from northeast US. According to my indy, because of the rust the turbos were basically fused in there and after getting them out, he couldn't promise they could clean up well enough to attach back. He did advise that taking the engine out was pretty much necessary, so that's what they did.

I definitely resolved that if I ever replace this car with another 997 Turbo, it won't be from somewhere that sees winter weather.

Last edited by Skwerl; 05-09-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Skwerl
I went in for a routine spark plug/coils service last year and ended up replacing my turbos due to excessive corrosion at all the attachment points. The car was from northeast US. According to my indy, because of the rust the turbos were basically fused in there and after getting them out, he couldn't promise they could clean up well enough to attach back. He did advise that taking the engine out was pretty much necessary, so that's what they did.

I definitely resolved that if I ever replace this car with another 997 Turbo, it won't be from somewhere that sees winter weather.

Thanks Skwerl. Appreciate the info. I am not 100%, I have heard from one person around here that they did them (or some) in situ, but then there is always someone who says that on the internet.!!
I have looked at the work involved taking the motor out, and it doesnt seem too bad. Im going to have a read up on tonight and if I cant get the turbo lines out I have no option.
Did your indy manage to reuse the old turbo lines with new orings? or fit a full new set? From memory they arent cheap. $1000 worth springs to mind for some reason, vs $10 in o rings. So I will do my utmost to get them out even if i have to kill the turbos!

Old 05-09-2019, 01:02 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Engine out can be a blessing.....tons to do/fix/get in front of, while in there.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by darkhorse1
Thanks Skwerl. Appreciate the info. I am not 100%, I have heard from one person around here that they did them (or some) in situ, but then there is always someone who says that on the internet.!!
I have looked at the work involved taking the motor out, and it doesnt seem too bad. Im going to have a read up on tonight and if I cant get the turbo lines out I have no option.
Did your indy manage to reuse the old turbo lines with new orings? or fit a full new set? From memory they arent cheap. $1000 worth springs to mind for some reason, vs $10 in o rings. So I will do my utmost to get them out even if i have to kill the turbos!
Actually, no, I did have to replace those too, again because of the corrosion/fusion - the main mechanic said he soaked everything, breaker-barred it, even went at it with a torch trying to get them apart but couldn't do it. I guess all those heat cycles + rust was just too much. You're right that the lines were something around $1000.

On the plus side, they've done a million Mezger engine removals so they were able to get it out and back in in like 5 hours. They said they probably could have done the operation with the engine in the car but they're so fast at it that pulling it was actually less labor overall.

Last edited by Skwerl; 05-09-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by turboslut
Engine out can be a blessing.....tons to do/fix/get in front of, while in there.
That's what worries me. Spiralling costs as I find stuff!.... I was thinking sharkwerks coolant elbows depending on what condition mine are in (they may have already been replaced with OEM as it was under warranty until not too long ago), not sure what else? anything else I find I suppose! I read the thread about 'engine out what to do' but it went a bit crazy with people saying 'all orings' and things. WIll have to take a lot off I guess if I have to do it so will see if that happens!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will 08 model year Turbos work on an 07 997 t?