997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Short shift performance..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Vudu will become famous soon enough
Short shift performance..

Got my TT about a month back, but with all the holidays I haven't had much time to drive it. Clearly it ROCKS and I'm loving every minute in it.

One thing about the SSK (factory installed):

Going from 1st to 2nd is rarely a smooth operation for me. I always take longer getting into 2nd (from a lower or higher gear) than shifting into any other gear. Is this normal? Of course, I can't fault shifting through the other gears, smooth as butter once fully warmed up..

Does the regular 6-speed box also have this issue with 2nd gear?

I've done about 1000kms so far and no other issues..

Old 01-13-2007, 02:32 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
That's normal...when it's cold, 1st and 2nd tends to be a bit notchy but eases up when warm. I find that it becomes less of a chore as the miles add on.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:42 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Vudu
Got my TT about a month back, but with all the holidays I haven't had much time to drive it. Clearly it ROCKS and I'm loving every minute in it.

Going from 1st to 2nd is rarely a smooth operation for me. I always take longer getting into 2nd (from a lower or higher gear) than shifting into any other gear. Is this normal? Of course, I can't fault shifting through the other gears, smooth as butter once fully warmed up..

Had the same problem with my 997S when I initially installed it. Believe me it gets better (much better) after you have put a few thousand miles on it. With 13K on my odometer I can say its now MUCH smoother. I'm sure it will be the same for the turbo. I was even thinking of keeping my short shifter and putting the stock unit back before I make the move to a Turbo? I wonder if its the same part??? Hmmmmm....... Any Turbo owners with standard gears having this problem?? Didn't mean to sidetrack your initial question.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Vudu will become famous soon enough
ok thanks guys

I'll just keep at it and hope for an improvement over the coming months. It's not really a big issue, but there's a track event coming up in March close to where I live, so it would be nice to have a smoother 2nd gear especially for autocross and drag strip runs..

Old 01-13-2007, 12:57 PM
steveb is on a distinguished road
I am not having any issues with my factory installed short shifter. I am really happy with it compared to other short shifters I have had on various cars.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:02 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
I get the similar experience when the car is still cold, but I have the after market ssk. Love it and feels more connected to the car, then again dosent porsche use B&M as a factory ssk as well?

Old 01-13-2007, 01:37 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I think the part number is the same.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned
jimdarcy will become famous soon enough
i am going to have the short throw installed at the dealer, after delivery; any thoughts, advice or differences between the factory installation and dealer installation?
thanks
Jim

Old 01-13-2007, 02:44 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Why not have it added to your order and let the factoy do it, the ssk is now available again for the TT. I already added it to my order, in a nick of time.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned
jimdarcy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Why not have it added to your order and let the factoy do it, the ssk is now available again for the TT. I already added it to my order, in a nick of time.
a blessing and a curse, i jumped in on a car already in production; good news is, it is mostly what i want and i get it late next month, bad news is i never had a shot at changing anything.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:24 PM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by adybuncio
I get the similar experience when the car is still cold, but I have the after market ssk. Love it and feels more connected to the car, then again dosent porsche use B&M as a factory ssk as well?
Initially I thought so (refering to my 2005 997S) and installed the B&M myself. I later found out that the ss OEM shifter was different so I purchased that one and installed it. The B&M had a significantly shorter throw and was not as smooth as the OEM part. It sure was fun to use though! I think its too short for most folks and a bit too notchy. I still have the B&M in its box and the quality of both are top notch. Now its possible that B&M manufactures both, but they are very different. So for those who might want the SS shifter on their turbo I highly recomend the OEM part even if its manufactured by the same company. This way you won't have warranty issues down the line. IMHO

Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Think it just takes awhile to loosen up a bit

Originally Posted by Vudu

I have noticed what you are saying a bit too with the regular 6-speed. After my M3, the shift to second with this tt is a bit snugger. I think it will loosen up with time. Not sure what it is, but a fast shift from 1st to 2nd was smooth like my previous cars, but, this tt jumps a lot. I guess it just takes time getting use to the extra power. At reasonable speed shifts, no problem.

Also I have noticed to avoid the lag, you have to be at a relatively high rpm. At the lower rpm, just can't get that turbo boost. But if in a lower gear, wow, no turbo lag, so lately thru traffic I spend a lot of time in 3rd with speeds under 45m/h. The turbos come in instanteously. Getting use to getting max enjoyment out of these tts is just taking more time and focus. . Incidentally with your help, got my V1 hooked up thru the fuse and for the remote have found the perfect spot on the face of the tach. Doesn't interfer there, just covers the center nonfunctional portion.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
And just a reminder, we STILL have it on special at $199 (B&M unit) anytime you are ready for it.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
b911s is on a distinguished road
I actually bought one from Eric at Bumperplugs and love it. One of the best mods I've done and it's relatively easy to install. I would recommend it highly and at $199 its a bargin.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
My 07 997S does not have the S/S and the first to second shift is quite a bit notchy 40% of the time; I hope it loosens up over time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Short shift performance..