997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Powdercoat black these quad tips!
Black out those bad boys!
69.01%
Leave them chrome
26.76%
Other ideas written below
4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Should I powdercoat my tips black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:01 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Should I powdercoat my tips black?

I just got a new toy from eric@bumperplugs

Now I'm wondering if I should get my cargraphic tips powdercoated black to match? Go for the ultimate stealthy look! My goal is to get rid of all the "chrome" blingy bits. The tips maybe and the headlight washer cover. My exhaust tips are already starting to turn brown so I was thinking of getting them blacked out. What do you guys think? Yea or Nay?

Old 02-17-2007, 01:05 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
eww looks horrible, why'd you do that Jason?

lol kidding, love the stealth look!

Old 02-17-2007, 01:24 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Yea! Black looks better than chrome.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Ceramic coating is better with the heat. I have a set and they look good. Do it......

Byron

Old 02-17-2007, 01:35 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
Ceramic coating is better with the heat. I have a set and they look good. Do it......

Byron
Can you post a close up shot of yours? I'd like to see how it compares with powdercoating.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
I will post tomorrow.I will take close ups on and off the car. Is that ok? These are ovals. My quads are being sent to airling to get the same treatment. I can also post next to the chrome quads if you want. Just let me know.
Byron

Old 02-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Yes, that would be awesome...close up on/off, with and without ceramic coating.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Only cause I love your car....lol

Byron

Old 02-17-2007, 08:23 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Jason,

how hard was it to remove the chrome emblem? I was considering doing the same thing

Old 02-17-2007, 08:31 AM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Here's an idea of what it will look like

I personally think blacked out tips have a way of looking like they need to be cleaned.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:50 AM
eclou,

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I basically took some blue masking tape and put them around the chrome badge, marked the placements, used a hair dryer to heat things up a bit and basically used a bunch of dental floss carefully to pry off the badge. Once that came off, there was a bunch of adhesive on the car which I removed carefully by hand. I cleaned things up. You can still see the outline of the badge because of the waxy residue, etc. I then put on the new badge using those outlines plus the marked ones I'd put on earlier. Took me half hour to do the job.

Joakim,

You're right, it does look "dirty" if you don't keep them clean periodically but man, it looks BADASS in that Photoshopped image you posted! Wow!

I'm going to look around and get quotes on pricing for ceramic coating.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Here's some pics. More to come in the next day or so. These are ceramic coated and before they are on the car. Remember these are temps until my quads get the same treatment but ya can see how good they look...lol.

Please no pms regarding these tips. They are spoken for by another member once I am done getting my quad tips back. Atomic I will get more pics for ya.

Aloha

Byron

Old 02-17-2007, 03:46 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
Please no pms regarding these tips. They are spoken for by another member once I am done getting my quad tips back. Atomic I will get more pics for ya.

Aloha

Byron
Yes they are...
Pehea 'oe Byron?
Mahalo bro.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Here's better light on the ceramic tips. I will get the car ones for you by tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:46 PM

All the credit goes to Lucent motors and Airling.

Byron

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I powdercoat my tips black?