997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

4s Advantages/disadvantages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
4s Advantages/disadvantages

I am getting close to the point of ordering a 997 especially after the SF auto show and then today receiving the factory order .pdf sent to me by a salesperson at the show.

It's amazing what now can be ordered for that model. It's somewhat reminiscent of Ferrari! I like the fact that the interior can be tan but dash, door uppers, and steering wheel can be ordered in black leather!

Need to please draw upon experiences/advice of those with the 4S as to any known advantages/disadvantages, pros/cons, etc. over the 2S.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
666666 is on a distinguished road
Need to please draw upon experiences/advice of those with the 4S as to any known advantages/disadvantages, pros/cons, etc. over the 2S.[/quote]

The 4s is wider and IMO looks nicer with the extra inches. Looks aside the 4s is AWD but the 4s coupe with manual is 121lbs heavier with the same engine. Automatics are heavier all around for an S(3219lbs) and 4S(3440) subtract 100lbs to get the manual weights. So with that said i wouldnt get a 4s since i think the speed on it is already lacking. If you want the AWD step into a turbo which has no problem pushing its weight around.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:44 AM
Rivan is on a distinguished road
advantages
-most ppl think wider body looks better.
-AWD is helpful for novice.
-AWD make me less worry when try to drive the car 10/10.
-Should be safer when the road is wet.
-If you ever need to drive it when snow.

disadvantages
-most ppl think its not as fun as RWD 911
-price over C2S
-price and choice of the rear tires when replacement needed
-less trunk space
-heavier clutch
-heavier steering (Although I got used to the clutch and steering very quick)
-it does understeer quit a bit more if you don't push it...

I choose the C4S because its my first Porsche and non front engine car. If you have high performance sports car experience why don't stick with RWD and order the C2S or maybe GT3.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 AM
mishref will become famous soon enough
disadvantages

+1

Old 11-26-2007, 04:36 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Disadvantage of the 4S:

Due to the wider rear its slower in the top end compared to the C2S as one magazine recalled.

Advantage of the C2S:

Feels faster and its fun spinning the wheels from a stop especially with PSM Off in a 6MT car.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
C4S daily driver: 8200 miles in 6 months

I commute and love attacking the twisties within reasonable limits

The care handles great and is very secure.

I like being pulled around the corners when things are a little slippery....

Yes, the car is a bit slower or less quick, who cares in the real world really ?

A Vette or Mustang and other cars will smoke any of these non-turbo Porsches in a straight line anyway........

If I was doing a track car or was wealthy, I would do a GT3 or a turbo for the street......

Personally, I am saving money for tires and driving schools..........

Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Appreciate all the responses.

Rivan,

I do have a 360 which I am keeping. I want a cabrio because I miss the SL500 convertible. I like the Porsche and have been looking at them for a while. Performance is not the main thing for me. It's the car, workmanship, and the rear engine.

I have looked at the GT3 and the TT but not overly excited. I like the more conventional 997.

Uncle Josh,

Good points indeed and going over 17 I am sure you feel a difference especially when it's wet or chancy.

I am just tying to figure out if the 4S is worth the extra $ of if the S with the engine package called the "Carrera Power Kit" which raises engine HP to 381 is a better deal. It's # X51 and it's $16,900.00!

I am overwhelmed with the available options now for this car!

BTW, if anyone wants the 2008 order .pdf send me your e-mail.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mishref
disadvantages

+1
I agree

Old 11-26-2007, 06:41 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't spend the extra $16k for the x51 pkg. It would be better for you to get headers, high flow cats, and aftermarket mufflers along with perhaps software imho.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by M32911S
I wouldn't spend the extra $16k for the x51 pkg. It would be better for you to get headers, high flow cats, and aftermarket mufflers along with perhaps software imho.
Aftermarket on all of the three you mentioned?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
OEM Powerkit vs. Aftermarket and more thoughts on 4S

If you have the bucks, go OEM PowerKit...Why ?

1) Superb engineering and hardware, fully integrated + NO ISSUES.
2) Resale value

There seems to be a strange tendency for people to question Porsche engineering, which has developed the winningest combination in motorsports history...also many folks have spent significant resources on aftermarket kits and packages for minimal gains, perhaps some have ended up with a lesser vehicle.

I would suggest perusing other 997 forums - occasionally automotive engineers will pipe in and debunk the wisdom of aftermarket mods vs. OEM design and engineering. Q

I have driven the 2S and 4S. Yes, the 2S is zingier. It sticks like glue, but, I just loved the look of the 4S and decided that the AWD was a safety aspect I wanted given the varying conditions I drive in and the number of miles I put in.

GO OEM and you wont be sorry.

If I was a rich guy I would have a GT3RS for the track and keep my C4S for cruising around town.

Regards

Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
UncleJosh,

You are all right no matter what anyone says!

Based upon your comments I am thinking that a 2S with the factory engine upgrade might make more sense and it comes out to almost the same $'s as buying the 4S.

I don't track my cars and I have no interest to do so. I treat my cars with ease. I have an 03 CL500, and I have not yet hit 11,000 miles. My 360 just this w/e turned 10,700 miles, and it's a 2000. I have also an 06 530i but that has 19,000 miles. more than i would like for 1.5 years.

So, you can see the extent to which I even drive my cars!

I appreciate everyone's input and I have to make a decision. So, I'll give this more thought and start spec'ing what I'd like and where it comes $ wise.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Advantages? None unless you drive in snow / ice often.

Disadvantages: Higher cost, more complex drive train, heavier, slower, less economical, smaller trunk, etc.

It looks to me like those few people that buy a 4 say "it looks better", but the 2 outsells the 4 by many factors. I've seen them side-by-side and couldn't tell except for the badge.

I've had my C2S on the track for between 25 and 30 hours in cold, warm, hot, wet, driving rain, etc. The C2S is extremely capable and I cannot believe having AWD would have improved my lap times (I'm not a novice, been in Black for several years).

Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 PM
sounds sweet to me

A 2S with a powerkit !

Sounds like a blast, pull the trigger !

Ron has some good points as well.

Cheers

Old 11-27-2007, 04:57 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Wait for the 09 that will be 380 hp and get the c2s.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.