997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Battery failed 1 month after buying the car from a dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 PM
911fun is on a distinguished road
Battery failed 1 month after buying the car from a dealership

My car is an 05 C2S with a little over 20k miles. When I purchased it 1 month ago, the dealer had completed the 20k mile standard maintenance and car was deemed to be in great condition. My questions to everyone are 1) Has anyone else experienced battery failure with this low mileage? 2) Does anyone know if the 20k mile should have checked the health of the battery? 3) As owners of p-cars, given I just bought this car, is it fair that the dealership replace my battery free of charge? 4) Is the battery under warranty?

As you can imagine, I'm pretty bummed that I have to deal with this just one month of owning this amazing car. Would appreciate your feedback/suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:32 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Batteries are not typically covered by factory warranty. In your case, I'd attempt to have the dealer show good faith in replacing it for you since you just purchased the car from them. But I wouldn't get my hopes too high, as I don't think they are really obligated. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
My experience with Porsche batteries = 2 years or 20K ,

You are right on time .

Old 03-09-2008, 04:11 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
my batt is abt 6 yr old now, knck on wood. get a battery tender so you can keep your next battery longer if you don't drive that often. talk to the dealer to see what they can do or just replace it with a decent one from autoparts store for under $80. not a big deal!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Mike R. is on a distinguished road
Like djantlive says, go for a battery tender. Get one that plugs into your interior outlet (cigarette lighter).

Old 03-09-2008, 08:19 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
my batt is abt 6 yr old now, knck on wood. get a battery tender so you can keep your next battery longer if you don't drive that often. talk to the dealer to see what they can do or just replace it with a decent one from autoparts store for under $80. not a big deal!
DONT DO THAT, if u really care, get a good battery that ur not going to have to replace so often, spend about 150 and get an INTERSTATE brand battery, i own a few repair shops and i see many battery problems on a daily. I deal with INTERSTATE and have almost no problems. However, many people buy the cheap crap batteries that autozone or napa have and they truely r garbage, they last 6 months to a year. I wont warranty any alternator or electronic repairs i do if i see a DURALAST or EXIDE battery. Also if u just bought the car the dealer should have checked to see the quality of the battery, and in turn should really make good and replace it.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche batteries are horrible. We replace them on fresh from the dealer cars all the time. You can pick up a group 48 battery from your local parts store and be done with it. We use interstate the most, and don't have problems with them.

Keep in mind, there are only about 3 battery manufacturers in the US (the largest being Johnson Controls). All the different batteries you see out there are relabeled for private resale, so a walmart battery might be the same as a diehard. I usually average about 7 years in my personal vehicles on the walmart batteries I use.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 AM
VTach is on a distinguished road
I too recently had some battery problems on my low mileage 997S. The loss of power actually required a reset from the dealership to get my seat heaters and one of the interior lights working again. I now use the cigarette lighter maintainer on a regular basis.

During this time I looked into replacing the battery and ran across a custom bracket for Optima batteries that would allow a secure fit.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

S

Old 03-09-2008, 01:53 PM
autobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura about
Porsche + battery = eventually dead if not driven every day.
From (at least) 1974 to 2008. I've bought probably 50 batteries in
20 years of owning Porsches. Dont know of any other car that this
will happen to. Drive that sucker! ;o)

Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
This is mandatory for me. My last battery lasted 4 years and I bet is still in great shape cause of this:

Old 03-09-2008, 04:11 PM
dndodd is on a distinguished road
I thought my battery was in the process of dieing. It seemed to turn over slower and slower everyday. This AM on the way to a DE to volunteer the battery was dead.

Another owner made a good suggestion; Lock your car with the FOB every night, It is the only way everything in the car gets shut off and and consumes less juice from the battery.
It will probably make your battery last longer.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VTach
I too recently had some battery problems on my low mileage 997S. The loss of power actually required a reset from the dealership to get my seat heaters and one of the interior lights working again. I now use the cigarette lighter maintainer on a regular basis.

During this time I looked into replacing the battery and ran across a custom bracket for Optima batteries that would allow a secure fit.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

S
Yes - I bought from GMG expensive when you add in the cost of the battery but it is a quality product - fits and looks great.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I use the charge o mat from my Cayenne.. and it works great..

Your situation shouldnt be that bad, Mine is an 07 with 5400 miles and my

battery died a month ago.LOL

Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 PM
aintpatricksday is on a distinguished road
Every vehicle I own has one of these somewhere:
Name:  cable1.jpg
Views: 3883
Size:  22.7 KB

I had to remove about 1/4" of material from the lip on the back of the battery cover for the cable to slip through. It tucks up next to the windshield washer where you can hook it with your finger and pull it out, but it is not otherwise visible. Lots of good battery tenders out there, the Deltran unit is very solid.
PB

Old 04-28-2008, 12:19 PM
mkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura about
does anyone know which exact battery model is for the 05 997S?
i see everyone recommends interstate, any model #?

thanks in adance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery failed 1 month after buying the car from a dealership