997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

UPDATED: Process for 997 multifunction wheel swap / steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
no prob- this is everything I learned over the past few weeks in doing this upgrade, and a lot of credit goes to Loren at Renntech. I agree, the controls are kind of lame- But I definitely enjoy the volume **** and the 3 CF pieces look pretty nice (wheel / shifter / ebrake).
Actually, I don't see why you could not mod something on to a sport wheel. Maybe use the guts from the MF wheel and the plastic pieces that hold the controls. I need a pic of your wheel to assess..
The pieces that hold the controls are different shapes on the sport wheels, as shown on the photos below. It would be a major PITA to do this. Also the module may not fit in the circular center of the sport wheel. Better to order a padded MF wheel.

Last edited by keninirvine; 05-18-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
yep- looks too different. oh well, was worth a wild thought

Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 PM
s car go is on a distinguished road
Put the new multifunction CF wheel on today, it looks sweet! I will post pics later. For now, I wanted to capture the knowledge here for those who may want to do this. Thanks to the other forum members who shared their experience with me, made the job a snap!
  1. park car with wheels straight and steering wheel straight.
  2. remove key from ignition
  3. disconnect battery neg. terminal, let sit for 10 mins.
  4. Remove airbag: take a long 1/4" alan wrench or other similar sized thin object with a flat tip, and insert into the hole on the bottom rear of the steering wheel. use something almost the same size as the hole. You will push up firmly to remove the airbag. What you are doing is pushing up on an internal wire retainer clip, once you push on it hard enough put your fingernails under the top edge of the airbag and pull forward, it should start to pop out. Now pull forward on bottom edge. It should all pull straight out.
  5. once the airbag is out, reach in and unplug the orange connector, it pulls straight forward. Now lay the airbag somewhere safe.
  6. Remove steering wheel center bolt *special tool needed*. You will need a 12mm multi-point tool. It looks like a large Torx bit with about 12 or 13 smaller ridges (A torx has 5 larger ridges). This tool is used for a few different things on Audi / VW cars as well. I do not know the exact name of this tool, I borrowed it from my friend. Slap the bit onto a 1/2" long ratchet wrench and turn bolt counter clockwise to loosen / remove. If you lock the wheel in the process do not worry, it is ok.
  7. Now that the bolt is off, use a thin marking pen to mark a few points on the steering wheel next to the shaft that you unscrewed the bolt from. This is just in case you need to put the old wheel back on or need a point of reference when putting on the new wheel.
  8. Gently slide the old wheel forward and off. do not twist or rock, you do not want to disturb the clock spring that sits behind the wheel.
  9. Sport wheel replacement is easy, just put new sport wheel on with same alignment- tighten bolt - plug in airbag and push in to lock it in place.
  10. Now, reconnect battery. you will get a PSM failure light. No biggie, it goes away after driving off.
Note for multifunction wheel:
There has been HUGE speculation on whether the multifunction wheel is "plug n play" on 997 cars. Answer is, it depends!!

If your car did not originally come with a multifunction wheel, then your car does NOT have the required control module or wiring harness. Period.
Now, if you buy a used multifunction wheel from a forum member, more than likely the wheel has the control module and wiring harness installed with it (it sits inside the steering wheel under the airbag). In this cars, YES it is "plug n play". Just attach your standard wheel airbag to the harness on the multifunction wheel and put it back on as in step 9 above, and go to the dealer for programming (BH Porsche charges about $80).

If you bought the wheel new from Porsche, it DOES NOT have the control module or wire harness included, you must buy these separately!! You need part number 997-612-673-00 (wire loom) and part number 997-613-445-00 (control unit). Both of thse parts can be ordered in a week from a dealer. Sunset Porsche charges $62 for the loom and $118 for the control unit. both of these pieces mount inside the steering wheel, just ask them to email you the schematic from PET (illustration 403-05). Put this all on (it's very easy) and take to dealer for programming.

NOTE: PET calls for a different airbag part nuber for the multifunction wheel than the standard wheel. This is BS! My standard wheel airbag fit just fine. If there is a diff I cannot find it!
Great Inf0: Does the multi-function wheel interface with the Tooki?

Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Thanks for the comprehensive writeup. I have done a few steering wheel changes and they are very straight forward. I appreciate your clarification of the MF Plug n Play issue, as that was one I was never clear on.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Big_O will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the instructions p0rsch3. This will come in handy when it's time to install the MF steering wheel. For those guys who forgot to disconnect the battery, here's software that will keep you from going to the dealer and you can reset the airbag light yourself. It's a durametric diagnostic kit for the 997.

http://www.durametric.com/buyus.aspx

Last edited by Big_O; 09-27-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Where could I purchase the multipoint tool? Is there another tool that would substitute?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:47 AM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
I replaced my wheel a couple month's ago. Using Kens advice I bought a T-55 from autozone for $5.00. Worked perfect. You will need a socket extension.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Put the new multifunction CF wheel on today, it looks sweet! I will post pics later. For now, I wanted to capture the knowledge here for those who may want to do this. Thanks to the other forum members who shared their experience with me, made the job a snap!
  1. park car with wheels straight and steering wheel straight.
  2. remove key from ignition
  3. disconnect battery neg. terminal, let sit for 10 mins.
  4. Remove airbag: take a long 1/4" alan wrench or other similar sized thin object with a flat tip, and insert into the hole on the bottom rear of the steering wheel. use something almost the same size as the hole. You will push up firmly to remove the airbag. What you are doing is pushing up on an internal wire retainer clip, once you push on it hard enough put your fingernails under the top edge of the airbag and pull forward, it should start to pop out. Now pull forward on bottom edge. It should all pull straight out.
  5. once the airbag is out, reach in and unplug the orange connector, it pulls straight forward. Now lay the airbag somewhere safe.
  6. Remove steering wheel center bolt *special tool needed*. You will need a 12mm multi-point tool. It looks like a large Torx bit with about 12 or 13 smaller ridges (A torx has 5 larger ridges). This tool is used for a few different things on Audi / VW cars as well. I do not know the exact name of this tool, I borrowed it from my friend. Slap the bit onto a 1/2" long ratchet wrench and turn bolt counter clockwise to loosen / remove. If you lock the wheel in the process do not worry, it is ok.
  7. Now that the bolt is off, use a thin marking pen to mark a few points on the steering wheel next to the shaft that you unscrewed the bolt from. This is just in case you need to put the old wheel back on or need a point of reference when putting on the new wheel.
  8. Gently slide the old wheel forward and off. do not twist or rock, you do not want to disturb the clock spring that sits behind the wheel.
  9. Sport wheel replacement is easy, just put new sport wheel on with same alignment- tighten bolt - plug in airbag and push in to lock it in place.
  10. Now, reconnect battery. you will get a PSM failure light. No biggie, it goes away after driving off.
Note for multifunction wheel:
There has been HUGE speculation on whether the multifunction wheel is "plug n play" on 997 cars. Answer is, it depends!!

If your car did not originally come with a multifunction wheel, then your car does NOT have the required control module or wiring harness. Period.
Now, if you buy a used multifunction wheel from a forum member, more than likely the wheel has the control module and wiring harness installed with it (it sits inside the steering wheel under the airbag). In this cars, YES it is "plug n play". Just attach your standard wheel airbag to the harness on the multifunction wheel and put it back on as in step 9 above, and go to the dealer for programming (BH Porsche charges about $80).

If you bought the wheel new from Porsche, it DOES NOT have the control module or wire harness included, you must buy these separately!! You need part number 997-612-673-00 (wire loom) and part number 997-613-445-00 (control unit). Both of thse parts can be ordered in a week from a dealer. Sunset Porsche charges $62 for the loom and $118 for the control unit. both of these pieces mount inside the steering wheel, just ask them to email you the schematic from PET (illustration 403-05). Put this all on (it's very easy) and take to dealer for programming.

NOTE: PET calls for a different airbag part nuber for the multifunction wheel than the standard wheel. This is BS! My standard wheel airbag fit just fine. If there is a diff I cannot find it!
Sorry to be dense, but I just took my multifunction wheel and airbag off my car. Are you saying that if someone who did not originally purchase a MF wheel installs this, they will have the multifunction feature?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes- 997 pcars are "MF ready". All you need to do is install the MF wheel and ensure the MF wheel has the communication module and wire harness included (it is inside the steering wheel under the airbag). After installation, the MF wheel's communication module needs to be activated to the car by the dealer. Very simple. You can drive around no problem without activating it, the buttons will not work or light up with the dash lights until you do.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Hey folks:
All cars are prewired for the multifunction controls, if you purchase any of the Carbon or Wood retrofit packages, it's actually included. It does require dealer activation, though. If you're installing a take-off steering wheel, all pieces should still be interchangable

Here is a picture of a new leather multifunction wheel:

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 04-17-2009, 12:56 PM
True that- Thanks for the further info. Do keep in mind though that if you *only* buy the MF wheel by itself (not the package, which comes with ebrake and shifter, etc), the wheel does not come with the module or wiring harness or airbag. Those are separate part#'s and must be ordered separately. At least that is what I have found out through researching. You can use your existing 997 non-MF-wheel triangle airbag on the MF wheel, even though the MF airbag is listed with a different part number.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

If you look at the photo, you will see the wiring harness, and the black control unit inside (near the center mounting circle, just to the right). This one comes complete, ready for installation.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 AM
thx- perhaps it depends on which dealer you go to. I was told by a couple of dealers that if you bought the MF wheel by itself (not the wheel that comes with the kit), you must order the module / harness separately.

Are you sure this was an individually-ordered MF wheel and not one taken from the kit?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
Not sure what they're selling, call us for the answers.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 AM
ellistai is on a distinguished road
What if I disconnect the airbag then change the steering wheel without disconnecting the battery? What would actually happen?

I have seen some members saying they didn't disconnect the battery for the swap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: UPDATED: Process for 997 multifunction wheel swap / steering wheel removal