997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

UPDATED: Process for 997 multifunction wheel swap / steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Just came back from local shop that had PIWIS, got my new old MF wheel activated. Spent there almost whole hour. I did not want to go to dealer as I did not want to re-flash my ECU plus indi shop I used was 10 minutes from my house and dealer is 40 minutes drive away.

So, to say first - PCM is not getting coded at all for this operation, apparently. Changes gets done to GATEWAY and to STEERING COLUMN sections. In both MF controls option will need to be activated.

Entire process took a lot of time because of my Mobdridge unit, for some reason (as neither I nor store owner knew how it was supposed to be done and in forums we read about PCM to be involved we tried to get into its config) but my PCM decided to cease communication with PIWIS completely - simply did not respond and did not show up. Or if woken up by force decided to disappear again. So after some time spent with fight over it we decided to unplug mobridge unit completely breaking optical bus and having PCM to scream about lost navigation, but it finally started talking to PIWIS properly. We looked for anything related to MF in PCM setting but found nothing.

In the end we followed procedures - change settings, erase all error codes, do 'vehicle turnover' procedure and after MF controls started to work. Only question I have - do those controls suppose to work only after key is turned in ignition? When I activate my PCM with key not in ignition MF controls on steering wheel do not make any effect. PCM starts to react only after key is turned. Also, I found no config section in PCM screen that would allow to redefine keys` assignment. Nor it was in PIWIS PCM settings.
Is it how it is supposed to be?

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-17-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:13 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
My buttons don't work unless the ignition is on. They should also light up with the headlights.
I'd have to look again in the PCM. Finding the assignable key page is deep into the reset menu for the global PCM settings. The assignable key is really a joke anyway. THe one benefit I've found now tithe the Dension is that the right key will scroll down songs in the song list, automatically changing to the selected song after a couple of seconds, really cool. I've assigned the assignable key to open the nav map. THe other choices are pretty useless I thought.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
My buttons don't work unless the ignition is on. They should also light up with the headlights.
I'd have to look again in the PCM. Finding the assignable key page is deep into the reset menu for the global PCM settings. The assignable key is really a joke anyway. THe one benefit I've found now tithe the Dension is that the right key will scroll down songs in the song list, automatically changing to the selected song after a couple of seconds, really cool. I've assigned the assignable key to open the nav map. THe other choices are pretty useless I thought.
Yep, I wanted to do the same as to turn on map is a most common action.
Pretty strange, I looked over PCM manual yesterday and did not find this settings nowhere. May be something was supposed to be configured for PCM in PIWIS after all. But we found no options to change. Strange stuff.

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-18-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 AM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Yep, I wanted to do the same as to turn on map is a most common action.
Pretty strange, I looked over PCM manual yesterday and did not find this settings nowhere. May be something was supposed to be configured for PCM in PIWIS after all. But we found no options to change. Strange stuff.
When the dealer activate the MF steering I didn't see anything for MF setting in PCM also. And from what it sounds like, the setting has very limited usage. IMO, the only useful buttons are for the phone and volume wheel.

John

Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
When the dealer activate the MF steering I didn't see anything for MF setting in PCM also. And from what it sounds like, the setting has very limited usage. IMO, the only useful buttons are for the phone and volume wheel.

John
Where is this setting? How do you get to it, what menu options do you choose?
Only thing I see strange is - why start call button cannot be used to terminate call, that would free up other button. Nethertheless this MF setup allows to operate mobridge just fine and allows to choose music I need so I am very satisfied. Just want to figure out how to map 'map' button somehow but not sacrificing current functionality.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Where is this setting? How do you get to it, what menu options do you choose?
Info/Option/Mult Func. St. Whl...

Should be right there on the Info / Option Page. If not, maybe something still not programmed correctly.

I set mine to Map as well after a few weeks - Map is the only thing I'm that in a hurry to get directly back to. Overall, I'm happy with the setup.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by stevepow
Info/Option/Mult Func. St. Whl...

Should be right there on the Info / Option Page. If not, maybe something still not programmed correctly.

I set mine to Map as well after a few weeks - Map is the only thing I'm that in a hurry to get directly back to. Overall, I'm happy with the setup.

thanks, just checked - only stuff I have on Info page is 'address book' and 'cd info'. if I press 'Set' there are no options as well.

May be it needs to have 'seat memory' option to show this up. Ok, itis not a big deal.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
thanks, just checked - only stuff I have on Info page is 'address book' and 'cd info'. if I press 'Set' there are no options as well.

May be it needs to have 'seat memory' option to show this up. Ok, itis not a big deal.

Press the Info button, then the Option button. It is not on the Info page.

I have Individual Memory (Sports Chono only), MF Wheel, and Set PCM on my Info/Option page.

That's for PCM3 though.

You should take a look at an '06 PCM2 manual - or not...I checked and the '06 Owner's manual says button can be assigned in the PCM, PCM2 doesn't mention it.

Last edited by stevepow; 12-18-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Luzy_V8 will become famous soon enough
multifunction conversion kit on tiptronic 997.1

Originally Posted by p0rsch3
..... If your car did not originally come with a multifunction wheel, then your car does NOT have the required control module or wiring harness. Period.
Great write up, but I am a little unsure if this statement is valid for Pcars with Tiptronic.
In another forum I read that 997.1 with tiptronic have already the control module installed. In fact I looked in PET and it does not distinguish between a multifunction control module for cars with or without tiptronic.
So this would save some money for us tip-drivers.

Maybe the guys from Suncoast can answer, since you sell the conversion kit for the same price, no matter if manual or tiptronic.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Luzy_V8 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Luzy_V8
Great write up, but I am a little unsure if this statement is valid for Pcars with Tiptronic.
In another forum I read that 997.1 with tiptronic have already the control module installed. In fact I looked in PET and it does not distinguish between a multifunction control module for cars with or without tiptronic.
So this would save some money for us tip-drivers.

Maybe the guys from Suncoast can answer, since you sell the conversion kit for the same price, no matter if manual or tiptronic.
Here I am again. I can answer the question myself, because I just removed the Y-trim of my steering wheel to get it painted and ......there is also NO control module on tiptronic vehicles without multifunction switches (see photo). What a pity !

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Samidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to behold
997 MF steering wheel compatibility

Forgive my question being a bit off topic from the original. I have seen several 997 MF wheels for sale and love the Carbon fiber look. What I'm wondering is, MF buttons aside, can this wheel be adapted to fit a 996? In this case I am speaking about versions that are both of the 3 spoke variety. much obliged to anyone who can shed light on this.
Thanks!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
The 997 version won't fit the 996 models, we tested this a few years back. The airag hook-ups are also different, so I wouldn't recommend the swap. There are factory and aftermarket carbon 996 wheels available, so you have plenty of options. And I'm not aware of a multi-function option for the 996.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Samidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to beholdSamidad is a splendid one to behold
997 SW fitment

Thanks Ric, not what I wanted to hear, but better to know now than after I bought one only to be sorry .

Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
here's a few picture of the 12point serrated socket used in step #6
Is this a 12mm 12 point bit?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 PM
topspd will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bonehead
Is this a 12mm 12 point bit?
You can use a 6 point T-55 instead. I used one with no issues at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: UPDATED: Process for 997 multifunction wheel swap / steering wheel removal