997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

UPDATED: Process for 997 multifunction wheel swap / steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topspd
You can use a 6 point T-55 instead. I used one with no issues at all.
Yup. Read that earlier in the thread. But seeing as I don't have either, may as well get the 12 point bit. Just don't know which size.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Daytonaviolet will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bonehead
Is this a 12mm 12 point bit?
to be honest.. i dont remember anymore. but its the same one that volkswagon uses. i remember purchasing it from a mom/pop automotive store and i remember reading that on the label (volkswagon 12point).

Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 AM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
thanks for the great D.I.Y. - it really is as easy as it sounds!!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Million thanks to the OP for a great thread.
I changed out my MF wheel yesterday. Just a few points worth mentioning.

Releasing the retaining clip is NOT easy. I had my friend push up on it with an allen key VERY HARD while I tried to pry out the airbag. A bit unnerving to say the least as he was at the same time telling me about the horror stories of deploying airbags

T-55 bit works just fine.

Once the bag is out, there are two color-coded plugs in the back: one green and one yellow. There's a tab that you have to pull out of the back of each plug (I used a small flathead screwdriver) before you can release them. Then just jiggle the plugs out.

Those that already have MF steering wheels and are just changing out to another MF wheel:
In order to get the MF buttons and the associated wiring out, first you have to disconnect a small white plug going into each button cluster. Then you have to remove the airbag retaining wire frame which is held with 4 torx screws (T-20 or 25 I think??). Beneath this is a black control module(?). This is fastened by two clips which can be released from the back of the wheel with a needle nose plier. Remove this and clip it into the new wheel.
Now you can put on the new wheel. Reconnect the harnesses, airbag plugs and snap the airbag back into the retaining clip

Sorry for lack of pics.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:50 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Million thanks to the OP for a great thread.
I changed out my MF wheel yesterday. Just a few points worth mentioning.

Releasing the retaining clip is NOT easy. I had my friend push up on it with an allen key VERY HARD while I tried to pry out the airbag. A bit unnerving to say the least as he was at the same time telling me about the horror stories of deploying airbags
I agree. Releasing the airbag module, while simple in principle, always takes me a number of tries before it suddenly comes free. I've done it about 6 times, but that part is always the most time consuming for me.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 PM
jastx is on a distinguished road
I easily got the air bag to pop out but how do I actually disconnect it so I can remove the steering wheel?

In the attached pictures I show the air bag popped out but still connected. I'm trying to get to this point below, where the green and yellow connectors to the air bag are released.

I have pulled the yellow and green tabs you can see in the photo above, but then what? How do I get thess two connectors to release from the air bag?

Thanks.

Attached Images    

Last edited by jastx; 04-04-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
If you already release the tabs, just pull/jiggle the plugs straight out.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 PM
jastx is on a distinguished road
I got it. You just apply a little pressure and pull straight out.

Thanks bonehead!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 PM
David4315 is on a distinguished road
For whatever it is worth the tool is made my KD tools and is carried by Sears and NAPA. It is called a 12mm serrated wrench (triple square).

Old 09-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
Removal of 997 steering wheel

Bonehead is definitely right; it takes some pressure and several attempts to get the clip to release the airbag. Mine wanted to release only the left side of the airbag, so I pushed on the right side of the clip and it finally released the right side of the airbag.
BTW, I found the proper tool at PepBoys. It's part #25015 "Internal Wrench Set - 12 Point Metric" made by OEM - Tools for Professionals. It's a 4 piece set that includes 6, 8, 10 and 12 mm. You need the 12 mm for this job. The 8 mm is the proper tool for the oil drain bolt, so that's an added bonus in getting this set. It cost about $12.

Sladep
2008 GT2

Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
For the life of me I cannot get the airbag to release, I can get the left side to release, but not the right, despite multiple angles, using allen wrench and flathead screwdrivers, any suggestions?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by AJag
For the life of me I cannot get the airbag to release, I can get the left side to release, but not the right, despite multiple angles, using allen wrench and flathead screwdrivers, any suggestions?
Push harder....and get someone else to help you. While you push on the retaining wire, have someone else grab the edge of the bag to pull it out.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Can I release the left and then work on right or should I Push it back in and try to do them simultaneously?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by AJag
Can I release the left and then work on right or should I Push it back in and try to do them simultaneously?
I think I got one corner out before the other. Don't see why that shouldn't work.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm a ridiculous oaf. So I got the airbag out, took out the wheel, swapped the MF electronics and am excited to get the new wheel in and plop down into the bucket seat, inadvertently snapping the function stalk off. Argh!!! I'm gonna try to superglue it and hope it holds, hehe, I don't use that stalk often anyhow, thank god it wasn't the turn signal stalk!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: UPDATED: Process for 997 multifunction wheel swap / steering wheel removal