997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

UPDATED: Process for 997 multifunction wheel swap / steering wheel removal

Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ellistai
What if I disconnect the airbag then change the steering wheel without disconnecting the battery? What would actually happen?

I have seen some members saying they didn't disconnect the battery for the swap.
I don't know... give it a try and let us know ok?

Seriously, stay safe and always disconnect the battery first. You do not want an airbag to go off accidentally!!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 AM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
[quote=p0rsch3;2363857]I don't know... give it a try and let us know ok?

I want it video on youtube Seriously, disconnect the battery.

John

Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 AM
ellistai is on a distinguished road
ok ok...i will listen to you, masters!

btw, some warning light will go on after reconnecting to the battery, and then for a little while it will go off. am i right?

just wanna avoid any surprise....

Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I've changed wheels 3 times and each time I disconnected the battery ground. Believe me, it is easy and it reduces the risk of the bag going off in your face. Why take a chance? The fault light goes away within a minute or so of driving. It just requires that you make a turn in each direction to reset. It is no big deal.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Stockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really nice
Thanks for this info! I am about to tackle this project on my new (to me) 2007 C2S.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I just did this, and it's a piece of cake.

I managed to get lucky at a local NAPA and find a 12 millimeter, 12 point (triple square) bit.

However, now that my ECU is resetting from the battery disconnection, it's not recognizing the CD changer, which is of course my Gateway 500 iPod integration kit. Working through that now. And I have yet to do the test drive to clear the Airbag fault light, PSM fault light, and PASM faults, as well as ensure the wheel is on the right micro spline.
CATTMAN

Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
The torx T-55 also works like a charm. Just installed my Dension, disconnected the battery for the wheel install and didn't have any issues with the Dension. Did have the PASM fault light, but no airbag light - that would bother me. All lights cleared in less than a mile.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Yeah, I am trying to get things reset now, then go for a drive to see if the lights clear. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems! With patience, and some trial, I'll get it right.
CATTMAN

Old 12-09-2009, 05:05 AM
seegoblu is on a distinguished road
Cattman: Which wheel did you get? OEM or did you have DCTMS rewrap a wheel?

Old 12-09-2009, 06:47 AM
A friend loaned me his thick sport leather wheel and airbag to use while I send Ivan at DCTMS my sport wheel for a makeover. Both are non-MF, with round bag.
CATTMAN

Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
A friend loaned me his thick sport leather wheel and airbag to use while I send Ivan at DCTMS my sport wheel for a makeover. Both are non-MF, with round bag.
CATTMAN
if you have this sport wheel right now - is its diameter less than of regular wheel? I am not really sure if I care about thickness, what annoys me more in my current wheel is that it is simply too big.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 AM
The diameter of the wheel is the same. The difference is that it is thicker, and made of a beautiful leather. The difference in width is minor, but it feels so much better in the hand- more substantial. It is not as thick as the wheel in my wife's BMW 550, which I hate because it's too thick. I guess it all depends on the size of your hands.

Keep in mind, that a small change in grip size/ thickness makes a big difference. A fact that anyone who has ever played tennis knows: a grip change on your racquet from 4 1/2 to 4 5/8 feels huge!

Similarly, I added AWE sport pedals to my car last night, and they are about 1/4 inch thicker than OEM, and it felt wierd- I had to move my seat back 1/4 inch to accomodate! Incredible how sensitive these, finely tuned they are. Or maybe it's just me who is sensitive or in tune with my car, who knows.
CATTMAN

Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM
seegoblu is on a distinguished road
CATTMAN
Does your friend want to sell his XPA Wheel?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
The diameter of the wheel is the same. The difference is that it is thicker, and made of a beautiful leather. The difference in width is minor, but it feels so much better in the hand- more substantial. It is not as thick as the wheel in my wife's BMW 550, which I hate because it's too thick. I guess it all depends on the size of your hands.

Keep in mind, that a small change in grip size/ thickness makes a big difference. A fact that anyone who has ever played tennis knows: a grip change on your racquet from 4 1/2 to 4 5/8 feels huge!

Similarly, I added AWE sport pedals to my car last night, and they are about 1/4 inch thicker than OEM, and it felt wierd- I had to move my seat back 1/4 inch to accomodate! Incredible how sensitive these, finely tuned they are. Or maybe it's just me who is sensitive or in tune with my car, who knows.
CATTMAN
ryem3 just sold me his wheel he does not like no more - will see if I will like it more than he did. it should be a bit thickier than stock one, but I am still a bit frustrated as I really wanted not thickness but smaller size and all my searches gave me nothing - different size appears to be offered only for racing wheels with no center airbag. Well, if it is so, then let it be so...

Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by seegoblu
Does your friend want to sell his XPA Wheel?
I may buy it from him. It's a loaner to test if I like it.
CATTMAN

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: UPDATED: Process for 997 multifunction wheel swap / steering wheel removal