997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Would the extra $$ & power bring more satisfaction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:47 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
Question Would the extra $$ & power bring more satisfaction?

I have this great car (meteor gray 997 Targa 4S) with every great option a guy could want. The car has the nicest interior with the cocoa brown supple leather & makassar wood trim. The best thing about the car is the panoramic roof which truly lets you enjoy the day without the noise, elements, etc. You name a creature comfort & it has it.

I'm thinking if I let the car go, I would really miss driving a true luxury sports car, & I might pay more $$ & be dissappointed!

There are two things that I wish Porsche did with this car & then I would never consider parting with it.

The first thing is my dream car, since I was a kid, was the "porsche turbo" & the second thing is you can't use the porsche roof rack (on a targa)for extra bits, (skis, bike etc) when you want to take the car to the mountains & have a great driving/weekend experience.

Anyways, after all that ramble, is the extra $$ for a Turbo worth it?

I thought of doing some mods on the car but it runs like a dream & I just don't want to have "reliability issues" & more depreciation.

Thoughts & comments appreciated in advance!!

Last edited by G-forceTarga4S; 01-15-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
The only real difference between your car and a turbo is what you stated . . . . so if you have the coin and it makes you happy then do it!

You will still have the AWD, and the plus is a wide body, and tons more power!

Also the turbo is a everyday supercar, especially for those who need AWD.

My dream car as a kid was always the TURBO and still want to get one, but after driving and tracking my 997S, i have set my sights on the next gen GT3.

Life's too short not to enjoy it!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
I have this great car (meteor gray 997 Targa 4S) with every great option a guy could want. The car has the nicest interior with the cocoa brown supple leather & makassar wood trim. The best thing about the car is the panoramic roof which truly lets you enjoy the day without the noise, elements, etc. You name a creature comfort & it has it.

I'm thinking if I let the car go I would really miss driving a true luxury sports car & I might pay more $$ & be dissappointed!

There are two things that I wish Porsche did with this car & then I would never consider parting with it.

The first thing is my dream car since I was a kid was "the turbo" & the second thing is you can't use the porsche roof rack (on a targa)for extra bits (skis, bike etc) when you want to take the car to the mountains & have a great driving/weekend experience.

I thought of doing some mods on the car but it runs like a dream & I just don't want to have "reliability issues" & more depreciation.

Depeciation and cars are a way of life!
You need to figure out which enjoy more...going faster or having a nicely padded bank account.
I wouldn't go turbo myself because I don't want the all-wheel drive.
Being that you own your car already,trading up would end up costing you more as well (how much I don't know).
So I would be inclined to mod the one you have and yes the mods are considered lost money.
Not all mods will hurt your reliability...
Flat-out...what ever makes you happy,that's what you should do!

Stacy

PS My opinion is probably worthless because I am a mod junkie and love my car

Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
Depeciation and cars are a way of life!
You need to figure out which enjoy more...going faster or having a nicely padded bank account.
I wouldn't go turbo myself because I don't want the all-wheel drive.
Being that you own your car already,trading up would end up costing you more as well (how much I don't know).
So I would be inclined to mod the one you have and yes the mods are considered lost money.
Not all mods will hurt your reliability...
Flat-out...what ever makes you happy,that's what you should do!

Stacy

PS My opinion is probably worthless because I am a mod junkie and love my car
What Stacy didn't say that I thought he would, is that you could do what he is doing and spend some money on your Targa and get Turbo-like power. Stacy is installing a supercharger on his C2S Cab, and you could do the same to yours for around $15,000 installed, and end up with around 475 hp I believe. That way you get to keep the things you like about your Targa, and have a very fast car. When you look at depreciation and taxes (PST and GST) on buying cars, it may be cheaper for you to mod your car than buy a TT.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
Smile Depreciation sucks

Thanks for the great feedback guys! I just wished I had the guts & time to undertake a serious mod project like Stacy. A performance expert at my local dealership said the supercharged 4S's are just the greatest car to drive. Even a close friend of mine with a 997 turbo says he thinks my car is an all around better car for the city. I just didn't notice that you couldn't do a rack on the Targa b/c I was so impressed by the way the car felt inside.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
You will NEVER give up that boyhood dream. That's what makes them special, and that's why I have a black 911. You won't rest until it's yours. And eventually, it will be. And only then will you know if it was the right choice or not. But guess what? You'll also realize that right or wrong didn't matter. You may regret trading in your c4s targa + cash for a TT, but not because you won't love the TT- you will. But because it won't be the long-term, life-changing event you dreamt of. Eventually, you'll still want more, and then what'll you go for?

Ah yes, you can evolve to the man-dream: Carrera GT.
Salut!
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 01-15-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM
You know that Top Gear video with Jeremy Clarkson's reaction to driving the Carrera GT. I had the same reaction just sitting in the thing! I'm not even worthy of driving a car like that!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
I'm thinking if I let the car go, I would really miss driving a true luxury sports car, & I might pay more $$ & be dissappointed!

The first thing is my dream car, since I was a kid, was the "porsche turbo" & the second thing is you can't use the porsche roof rack (on a targa)for extra bits, (skis, bike etc) when you want to take the car to the mountains & have a great driving/weekend experience.

Hell yeah it's worth it !!!!!

Now let me tell you why . First lets start with an extra 100 Hp, add to that a Gt1 dry sump engine , along with limited slip diff .Then lets add to this that the Turbo can add another 75 Hp with just a few bolt on mods and if you really want to get a face smearing rush it can get what i got on mine --the EVT700 .

The Targa with cocoa , supple , and wood ? OUCH !! WOOD ?????

Suggestions --Get that 997tt - Throw on those mods and let go of whatever is clinging you to that Targa .

The doubts you are having ? will be erased the day you drive home the Turbo . They were for me . I traded in my 997S with only 3K miles but I wish I could have kept them both . I love BOTH cars but sanity only allows me to pick one .At least at this time .

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-16-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I tell you what . Leave price out of it . Even leave the mods out of it . Look at my last car and my current sitting idle BEFORE modding . Both are 2007 . Think it over . Take your pick.

Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
You will NEVER give up that boyhood dream. That's what makes them special, and that's why I have a black 911. You won't rest until it's yours. And eventually, it will be. And only then will you know if it was the right choice or not. But guess what? You'll also realize that right or wrong didn't matter. You may regret trading in your c4s targa + cash for a TT, but not because you won't love the TT- you will. But because it won't be the long-term, life-changing event you dreamt of. Eventually, you'll still want more, and then what'll you go for?

Ah yes, you can evolve to the man-dream: Carrera GT.
Salut!
CATTMAN
50K plus my C2S = the 997tt . Stock.
I not only have no regrets but I would do it again .
Even if I had a CGT I would keep the Turbo .
I want the 997.2 also -- but would still KEEP the Turbo.

I love my car that much.

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-16-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Damn, Larry! Do you have 2 or 3 Porsches? (I'm jealous). Is the black TT in the picture the same car (different wheels on your avatar)?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
+1. Targa's are really special cars. And it sounds like you really like the glass-roof lifestyle. I don't blame you one bit. They look so sleek and sophisticated.
So, go for the supercharger. Add a set of Damptronics and sway bars. Find an expert tech to do it all for you and your car will rock. Far less money than the $50K tradeup and likely EXACTLY the car you want.
WHADAYA waitin' for??
Yes, you still have the challenge of the rack, but surely there is a rear-end based rack system that would suffice. And of course, there's alway FedEx. It replaces the 'trunk' that Ford left out of my GT!

Originally Posted by keninirvine
What Stacy didn't say that I thought he would, is that you could do what he is doing and spend some money on your Targa and get Turbo-like power. Stacy is installing a supercharger on his C2S Cab, and you could do the same to yours for around $15,000 installed, and end up with around 475 hp I believe. That way you get to keep the things you like about your Targa, and have a very fast car. When you look at depreciation and taxes (PST and GST) on buying cars, it may be cheaper for you to mod your car than buy a TT.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by drkbrent
Damn, Larry! Do you have 2 or 3 Porsches? (I'm jealous). Is the black TT in the picture the same car (different wheels on your avatar)?
The car in my avtar is the same car but after I modified it which included the aerokit and wheels . They are cosmetically noticeable . I posted the stock photo to show both cars side by side with NO upgrades. The professional photos recetly taken of my curent car can be seen in the photography section. I had trouble loading my new image folder but I'll link you to the thread on the photography section and you can view them there. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-yrralis1.html

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-15-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
Horsepower is overrated. Keep your Targa and go pick out a nice used snow beater Audi/Subi wagon for ski trips, a grocery getter, a bike hauler. Your honey will love you because there will be room to bring 17 outfits and 17 pairs of shoes for the weekend trip. If it gets sideswiped by some Bozo at the resort who doesn't know how to drive in the snow you won't care because your Porsche is safely tucked under it's cover in your heated garage at home. It's all good.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Overrated ?! You jest .
I owned two 997S cars . One was modded too . Great cars . In fact the modded car ran well with a Turbo but would still get wiped on the straight .

Modding the Turbo --it's bye bye ..... to just about anything except maybe another slammed up Turbo or avery select car.

Have you seen the comparison of the Gt3 Vs Turbo both modded . The Turbo isn;t a 700 car either . http://www.blinkx.com/video/head-2-h...Lpsd6m5HktT14g

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would the extra $$ & power bring more satisfaction?