997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Scraping noise going over rises but NOT from bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
Scraping noise going over rises but NOT from bumper

I try and avoid them when I know where they are but in daily driving I come upon from time to time moderate inclines or rises, like leaving or entering some parking lots - I go real slow over them but I hear a scraping sound coming from under the front of my car.

I know for a fact it is not my actual bumper as I can see and glide my hand to confirm that my front spoiler underside is pristine and smooth - no street rash.

But I do see this black rubbery strip - not plastic, feels like a flexible rubber? - that hangs just under my front bumper. Not sure if it is an integrated part of it or something added as a separate piece ,but I can clearly see it hangs about an inch lower than any part of my undercarriage or front spoiler.

As I can't see or feel any part of my bumper being scraped, I figure this rubber piece is what I am hearing scraping when I go over the moderate inclines/rises. Is this fine? Is this some sort of porsche equivalent of early warning so you know you're going over something that might eventually scrape your front bumper?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Yep --rubber piece .
It warns you that the rocker panel is getting close enogh to to consider .

Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks yrralis. Do you know if the rubber piece is something that is fairly easily replaced if it ever gets worn down or torn?

Not like I'm going to go look around for inclines to drive over if I know that piece is easily and cheaply replaced, but I suppose there would be some peace of mind given the frequency it happens to me in the LA area.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I think that it is easy to change, I think that you need to remove the inside plastic wheel well liners.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:11 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I imagine its an easy replacement . Lip scrape is a major event with the Turbo and Gt3 . Especially when lowered .
If you are near scrape at stock ride height on an 08 997S it will give you great basic training .

This thread may help you . https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-scraping.html

Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 PM
+1 Thanks for the pointers - I came away reading that thread with the conclusion I'd rather drive my car where I want to go and if I get a little scrape rash and i need to replace that rubber piece once a year, that's worth owning and driving a p-car.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 AM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
If you use sport shock setting you scrape less over road bumps, with the rubber scraper!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
if your not scraping then your not low enuff.lol.

its a wind deflector, easy to replace...

Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by larrytrk
If you use sport shock setting you scrape less over road bumps, with the rubber scraper!
If you are in sport mode, wouldn't you scrape more because the ride height is lowered as I understand it when sport is engaged?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Yep --
It warns you that the rocker panel is getting close enogh to to consider .
Really?...you know this?......I assumed it was aero to help channel air around tire.

Cut most of mine off w/tin snips.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Diablo79 will become famous soon enough
Imo

I would recommend not removing that rubber/plastic piece. That actually drove me NUTS for the first month that I had my PO 05C2S. I also thought about removing it, but then I realized there must be a reason for it being there, otherwise why would Porsche factor in such an odd and (seemingly) useless cosmetic piece? Just my opinion!

Originally Posted by mozhacker
Thanks yrralis. Do you know if the rubber piece is something that is fairly easily replaced if it ever gets worn down or torn?

Not like I'm going to go look around for inclines to drive over if I know that piece is easily and cheaply replaced, but I suppose there would be some peace of mind given the frequency it happens to me in the LA area.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:56 PM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mozhacker
If you are in sport mode, wouldn't you scrape more because the ride height is lowered as I understand it when sport is engaged?
I find the stiffer suspension setting stops the dipping over a speed bump, hence, less rubbing.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I assume it's a modest aero aid, not a german curb feeler. I wouldn't remove it. Since I grafted a GT3 bumper on to my 'S' that has been lowered, I have far more serious scraping issues. I felt like a failed sub captain yesterday. Totally ran her aground on a parking lot stop. Lucky, just the splitter, but ick.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I figure those rubber pieces are to channel air around the front breaks. They do scrape pretty easy, and are replaceable.

J