997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tiptronic Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:24 PM
sn66p is on a distinguished road
Tiptronic Shifting Issue

Hello all. I've been putting thru my '07 C2S-tip thru it's paces for about 5 months now. It's been a learning experience, but great nonetheless. I bought a tip so my wife could enjoy the full porsche experience as well (well I had to).

My question / issue is with shifting in the tiptronic. A few times I have noticed that if I floor it at WOT, the tip will not shift into the higher gear and bounce off the rev limiter. I believe it was 2nd to 3rd gear I noticed this. I do have a sport chrono model, but I was in normal mode. I purchased this car used with local dealer inspection, of course. Does anybody have a comment about this? I plan to take it into the dealer this week.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 AM
swajames will become famous soon enoughswajames will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sn66p
Hello all. I've been putting thru my '07 C2S-tip thru it's paces for about 5 months now. It's been a learning experience, but great nonetheless. I bought a tip so my wife could enjoy the full porsche experience as well (well I had to).

My question / issue is with shifting in the tiptronic. A few times I have noticed that if I floor it at WOT, the tip will not shift into the higher gear and bounce off the rev limiter. I believe it was 2nd to 3rd gear I noticed this. I do have a sport chrono model, but I was in normal mode. I purchased this car used with local dealer inspection, of course. Does anybody have a comment about this? I plan to take it into the dealer this week.
If you disable PSM the tip will not automatically upshift but will bounce off the limiter as you describe.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Hello all. I've been putting thru my '07 C2S-tip ................... I bought a tip so my wife could enjoy the full porsche experience as well (well I had to)..............
How come all us TIP or PDK guys have to apologize and 'blame' our wives??

Your experience with the upshifting is just what the computer is telling it to do; run it up to around 122mph and it will do the same thing 3rd-4th. Let us know what your dealer tells you.

Last edited by tejoe; 05-26-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
When you press the accellerator all the way down make sure you press it so that you also press down the kcik down button under the pedal. Mash it hard!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Ilias4s is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mdrums
When you press the accellerator all the way down make sure you press it so that you also press down the kcik down button under the pedal. Mash it hard!
Yes you are right if you dont press the switch it is not change gear.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Talking

Well, each episode that I noticed this issue, I was running in normal (not sport) mode. Each time, I was already rolling from ~ 15-20 mph or so. I don't recall exactly if I had the kickdown button mashed from the start, but I'm pretty sure I stomped on it from the beginning. Either way, I don't understand why this would be normal behavior in any mode. IMO, an auto shouldn't "miss" a shift and bump into the rev limiter. I can miss shifts on my own-- I don't need help.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Well, each episode that I noticed this issue, I was running in normal (not sport) mode. Each time, I was already rolling from ~ 15-20 mph or so. I don't recall exactly if I had the kickdown button mashed from the start, but I'm pretty sure I stomped on it from the beginning. Either way, I don't understand why this would be normal behavior in any mode. IMO, an auto shouldn't "miss" a shift and bump into the rev limiter. I can miss shifts on my own-- I don't need help.
As I mentioned above, did you have PSM deactivated? If you do, the Tiptronic does not automatically upshift at redline and it will bounce off the limiter as you describe. There are no other circumstances where this should happen so if you didn't have PSM disabled, it may indeed be that you have an issue that needs dealer input.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:08 PM
swajames,
by psm you mean "sport" mode, right? i.e. sport button is not engaged on the center console = "normal" mode. i'm new to porsche in general so am not sure if this is what you mean. again, it just doesn't make sense to me why a fully auto mode would not shift up under any circumstances. i mean, if i was in manual mode and wasn't paying attention-- yeah.

unfortunately, to my newbie eyes the shifting seems quite slow. at full WOT or during quick acceleration, even in manual mode, the gearbox takes a full 500-1000 rpm to acknowledge a manual upshift. i imagine this makes things tough at the track. i plan to head out to a track event next month and would like to be fully sorted by then.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:11 PM
tejoe,
i'be owned 8 cars in my lifetime (some were fun, but not a carrera) and have never received a ticket until i bought this car. now, 5months, 4 traffic stops, and 2 tickets later i drive like an old lady on public roads. experience is a b#t@h! now i know why those "old farts" i used to pass on the road drove that way. you can't have fun with a giant target on your back.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM
swajames,
by psm you mean "sport" mode, right? i.e. sport button is not engaged on the center console = "normal" mode. i'm new to porsche in general so am not sure if this is what you mean. again, it just doesn't make sense to me why a fully auto mode would not shift up under any circumstances. i mean, if i was in manual mode and wasn't paying attention-- yeah.

unfortunately, to my newbie eyes the shifting seems quite slow. at full WOT or during quick acceleration, even in manual mode, the gearbox takes a full 500-1000 rpm to acknowledge a manual upshift. i imagine this makes things tough at the track. i plan to head out to a track event next month and would like to be fully sorted by then.
In addition to your Sport button you should have a button marked PSM at the bottom of the center console. If that's pressed, PSM is disabled - and when you are in manual mode, with PSM off, the car doesn't upshift at redline as it normally would.

If you get the behavior you describe without PSM being disabled and without you being in manual mode then you probably do need a trip to the dealer. I'm not aware if the Sport Chrono also introduces similar behaviors to the PSM off/manual mode combo as my last car didn't have sport chrono but it should be covered in the manual.

Edit - I just checked the manual on Renntech (for the 07 MY) and it confirms that the Sport mode does indeed do the same thing - no automatic upshift at redline when in manual mode. So - if you have PSM off or Sport on then you'll get exactly what you're seeing. Perhaps you did have PSM off or Sport on?

Last edited by swajames; 05-26-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 PM
thanks swa,
unfortunately i did not have sport mode on or psm disengaged. i did see the second button down there. strange what the mind tunes out when it's not something you use everyday. i've got an appt with the dealer. i'll report back here in case my question can help anybody else.