997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

About to pull the trigger on a leftover 08 - good deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jersey1977
Thanks for that bit of advise!

OK. So in a nutshell you believe the 09 meteor is worth ~$15K-18K more than 08 Tip. Correct?

Does it effect your judgment at all if I plan to keep this car foreseeable future (5+ years, perhaps much longer)

This conversation has definitely caused me to reconsider my purchase...
I can't come close to the type of insight, knowledge, and expertise that Larry can give you, but from my limited knowledge perspective, the answer is yes if we are talking automatics here. The 09 wins out even given it's higher price. I know you plan on keeping this car for along time, but unless the PDK completely blows up in Porsche's face (which already seems to be highly UNLIKELY), when it comes time for you to sell, the difference between the PDK and Tip will even be a bigger difference for the next purchaser of your car.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:48 AM
jersey1977 will become famous soon enough
The two cars are at different dealerships. The folks with the leftover 08 dont have the 09 in stock w/ the options I need. It looks like I may pull the trigger on an 09...

Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Easy quick comment. Always funny when dealers refer to MSRP when you're talking about used cars. The '08 is a used car. The '09 is new - yet almost a year old. The '10's will be rolling out and that car will take an instant hit. In three years, the tip car will not be very desirable compared to the PDK, but you get the car a lot cheaper. There are still a bunch of '08's around. A dealer here in the NE was advertising 8 of them available with 4k miles for $79k. Probably still not the market clearing price though.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 AM
299moto is on a distinguished road
Check your PM,

I too have been shopping 09's here & Socal & hands down the 09 is the better purchase. That 08, especially now that PDk is here, will drop a ton the minute you roll out of the dealer. If this was a 07 vs-08 or 09 vs 10 struggle, it might make sense, but as 09 changes are fairly significant, 09 wins vs 08 all day in my book.

Post pix soon

Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks, I am waiting for the GM to approve on my last # for the 09 as the sales manager couldnt authorize the price I am looking for. Will let you know how it goes...

Old 07-18-2009, 03:16 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Although just over a little more than 14 months ago one would think that thats a great price but as others have said..once you title and the 2010 land.. that car is in the low 70's by December IMO. The low miles 06-08 have been drying up since cab season is here...stabalizing prices a bit.

If you test drive a PDK, and don't already own a Tip ..it would be hard not to always wonder if you should have waited for a deal on PDK, it really is a different car but an extra 35k to get there is tough to justify. Best bet is to buy a 06/07 in the low 60's..thats the sweet spot for the C4S cab..your depreciation would could only be 7k a year for the next 3 years if the miles are kept low.

An 08 is a tough call because its the last year of the 997.1 and would have been a un real deal if the 09 changes didn't arrive..the market has changed so much over the last 10 months...08 Turbo Cabs are the real deal at the moment.

GLWTS

Old 07-18-2009, 03:35 PM
155mph is on a distinguished road
What do you think this car should sell for if you get the best price. 09 C2S...

http://www.donrosenimports.com/porsc...AB29989S720711

Old 07-18-2009, 03:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
NYCPCAR - Turbo cabs were even lower a few months ago . The big difference with the Turbo is that a used low mi Turbo Tip will cost 50K less than new . Even though the Tip and PCM is dated the dry sump Gt1 engine in that car is legendary . This is not the case with the 997S line up though . It seems like Porsche did some cost cutting with the new Turbo and they also had to make the changes to install PDK . Although the Tuners have transformed the 997Turbo in the car that Porsche could have offered . All that press on the GtR . Sigh .. the modded Turbos will blow away the Gtr .Cabs can be tuned too but a little more modestly. Whether its off the line or on a roll the Turbo is faster . Into the corners it's close enough to pin it down to suspension upgrades and driver skill . It's that close .
Unfortunately the Gtr transmission is a POS and it seems like Nissan now has all types of waivers that a new owner must sign to basicaly let themselves off the hook when their car breaks . Long live the Porsche Turbo!!!

But this is not what Jersey is looking for . It does not sound like he's ready to through 115K for a Turbo and another 20 -90K in mods to bring it to the next level . That's a 200K car instead of a 90K cab .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Thanks, I am waiting for the GM to approve on my last # for the 09 as the sales manager couldnt authorize the price I am looking for. Will let you know how it goes...
If it's that close take one last nibble tick up and if they don't bite walk out . They will sell you the car . This thread has been a real thrill ride.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
It is hard for me to swallow the extra $15K+ for a lower MSRP car, but you make a hell of a case for it.
Jersey- Larry knows what he is talking about and his advice to me over the last year has been nothing but spot on.

I had a 06 C4S Cab Tip...drove a PDK and was like wow...my car is already dated. I was going to go new 09 C4S but decided to look for Turbo because this will be my last car for awhile..Anyway the deals now on 09 are great and the car is defiantely worth a 15k+ premium over the 08..you will lose that much a month after you drive the 08 Tip home and in 2 years time that car will be a tough sell with all the new PDK's around...Save yourself the pending trade...get the 09 and keep it for a long time..you'll be happy that you did..it's the best deal.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Once again, keep in mind it is not $15k more for a car with a lower MSRP. It is a one year newer car. One year's depreciation is worth well more than $15k these days. Also bear in mind as everyone has pointed out, depending on how long you will keep the car, the PDK car will hold its value much better than the '08.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, the 09 makes more sense... I am heading over to the dealership tomorrow morning to turn the screws and see if a deal can be had at a number I am satisfied with. I am willing to walk (for now) if need be as my current lease has a month left on it.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Yeah, the 09 makes more sense... I am heading over to the dealership tomorrow morning to turn the screws and see if a deal can be had at a number I am satisfied with. I am willing to walk (for now) if need be as my current lease has a month left on it.
Walk if needed and but end of the month things get tight . Although there is some peace of mind in having the car .

Old 07-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by 155mph
What do you think this car should sell for if you get the best price. 09 C2S...

http://www.donrosenimports.com/porsc...AB29989S720711
Nice car . Main line Philadelphia is some is a hard shopping region . Lots of wealth and it is summer . Plus that car is not heavily optioned which narrows down wiggle room. But the options it does have are quite nice.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:43 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
When I was looking at an used meteor 07, Larry convinced me to look for something better. That's when I end up with the 08. I also looked at the 09 but at the time there was no discount to be had, so it was way out of my budget. Plus I've always had bad luck with first year model of anything. Not saying the 09 has any problems, but I just don't want to take any chance with a brand new engine, since I plan to own this car for a long time.

Sorry my experience at Auto Gallery wasn't the best, so I can't really recommend the guy I dealt with. It wasn't a great deal, it's just that they had the right car for the right price at the right time.

Good luck with your search. At your price point I am sure you have a lot more choices than I did.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a leftover 08 - good deal?