997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

About to pull the trigger on a leftover 08 - good deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:54 PM
jersey1977 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Walk if needed and but end of the month things get tight . Although there is some peace of mind in having the car .
I know it is late where you are Larry, but can you take another shot and making the above point. Not sure what you are driving at...

Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jersey1977
I know it is late where you are Larry, but can you take another shot and making the above point. Not sure what you are driving at...
I'll take a stab at this.
"Walk if needed and but end of the month things get tight . Although there is some peace of mind in having the car ."

Larry is saying to be ready to walk away from the car if the GM comes back with a number that you are not happy with tomorrow. Be prepared to say thanks, but no thanks. Also, the end of the month is only a week or so away and that's when the dealers (and the GM) may need to make some sales happen if their month is going bad (which in the current economy, I'd say the chances of a poor month are probably high). If the number is not where you want it to be tomorrow, be prepared to walk and know that there is a very strong probability that the GM will call you back before the end of the month to try to renegotiate a better number for you than. In terms of the peace of mind, I think Larry is saying that if the GM comes back with a number that is really close to where you are at, it might just be worth it to pay the price to bring the car home and not worried that it might get sold in the near term. Again, just my interpretation of what Larry "may" be saying.

By the way, check out these sales numbers for June. Don't think July is going to be any better:

Attached Images  

Last edited by JoeShark; 07-19-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
I know it is late where you are Larry, ...
I've seen pictures of Larry so I can say with strong certainty that he's not a vampire, but I don't think the guy every sleeps (based on the time stamps of some of his posts). The guy did wash his car at 2:30 in the morning before: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lose-gets.html

I'm pretty sure he'll be responding to your post before the sun rises in the East (or before Tom Watson steps up to the first tee at Turnberry)

Last edited by JoeShark; 07-19-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:19 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I just got home . I stay up late .

What I mean is that each month's sales numbers close on the last day of the month . It's those last days that a sale can squeeze by and make for a better month . In fact December 31 is even more important because year end allocation is also determined .

Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 AM
I am planning to go in there tomorrow, touch the car and give them my number. If they dont end up where I need them to be, I am fully prepared to walk out the door.

There are 3-4 dealers in SoCal that have cars with specs that would work for me, so I am willing to gamble that one will hit my number before the month ends. I am not in any rush.

My main concern/motivation is that I want to take advantage of the $10K trunk money in lieu of the 1.9% financing that about 1/2 the dealers are offering. I dont want that to disappear while I am playing hardball. That extra $10K makes the deal for me.

And while I could wait for the 2010 to hit the showroom to try to score a better deal, I doubt I could do much better than 90K for a 112K MSRP car even if I wait to year end. Thoughts?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:24 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JoeShark
I've seen pictures of Larry so I can say with strong certainty that he's not a vampire, but I don't think the guy every sleeps (based on the time stamps of some of his posts). The guy did wash his car at 2:30 in the morning before: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lose-gets.html

I'm pretty sure he'll be responding to your post before the sun rises in the East (or before Tom Watson steps up to the first tee at Turnberry)
LOL . I am rarely awake at 9AM . I just came home from South Beach . I am not the only person awake in Miami .

Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
LOL . I am rarely awake at 9AM . I just came home from South Beach . I am not the only person awake in Miami .
Haha, yeah, I figured that. When I said you'd be responding before the sun rises in the East, I meant it's because you don't seem to sleep and that you'd be responding in the middle of the night before the sun came up. Haha, I was right.

"I just came home from South Beach". You living the life Larry

Old 07-19-2009, 12:37 AM

My main concern/motivation is that I want to take advantage of the $10K trunk money in lieu of the 1.9% financing that about 1/2 the dealers are offering. I dont want that to disappear while I am playing hardball. That extra $10K makes the deal for me.

And while I could wait for the 2010 to hit the showroom to try to score a better deal, I doubt I could do much better than 90K for a 112K MSRP car even if I wait to year end. Thoughts?
Larry, any opinion on these thoughts before I head off to the dealership manana?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:40 AM
I am planning to go in there tomorrow, touch the car and give them my number. If they dont end up where I need them to be, I am fully prepared to walk out the door.

There are 3-4 dealers in SoCal that have cars with specs that would work for me, so I am willing to gamble that one will hit my number before the month ends. I am not in any rush.

Your 20 percent deal on a new car is the best I have ever heard on a new 997S --ever. I believe that you just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
1) New cars sales data was awful last month .
2) 2010 are already in (you won't get a deal on those --yet) .
3) It's almost October where 2010 has to be the new car and 09 woiuld be the leftover .
4) inventory is massive .

I knew that deals were good on new cars but I did not know it was this good until you and I got to this thread .

These programs won't last . This is your time .

You must be sitting on the edge of your seat with this.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:47 AM
And I didnt realize that I lucked/negotiated into such a deal until you pointed it out. Thanks Larry.

If not tomorrow, I'll pull the trigger by the end of July, I am willing to bet that the $10K trunk money will be there till then.

Last edited by jersey1977; 07-19-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 AM
If not tomorrow, I'll pull the trigger by the end of July, I am willing to bet that the $10K trunk money will be there till then.

Thanks Larry.
I think you will have a car tomorrow . If you are this close where GM approval and going back the next day are where you are .. then something has to give. My guess is both you and the GM will bend .

Is this your first Porsche ? If so tell them that this sale can be the beginning of a very long , healthy, happy driving experience and this sale can be the one to remember and this is the one day they have to close the deal. They'll bite too .

BTW -I don't think you will ever get a deal like this again. Porsche took a beating with the economy and you have a buffet of cars to choose from .

Old 07-19-2009, 06:34 AM
I am coming off a 3 year lease on a 06 C2S Cab. So it'll be #2...

Old 07-19-2009, 06:45 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I am coming off a 3 year lease on a 06 C2S Cab. So it'll be #2...

BE STRONG NEWB! If this goes well I am shooting u some rep points I luv this thread! It reminds me of my purchase. U kinda get a chubby when you think about a new P-car.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:19 AM
arzcatz3 has much to be proud ofarzcatz3 has much to be proud ofarzcatz3 has much to be proud ofarzcatz3 has much to be proud ofarzcatz3 has much to be proud ofarzcatz3 has much to be proud ofarzcatz3 has much to be proud ofarzcatz3 has much to be proud of
Any news yet Jersey? I'm curious as to what happens.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:22 PM
pvgolfer is on a distinguished road
Jersey - I'm interested in your findings as well. I'm in the market for a new 997S (non-cab). Perhaps we can swing additional savings on a two car deal at one of the dealerships in the LA area. Unfortunately I won't be around at the end of the month (going on vacation). Let us know if you pull the trigger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a leftover 08 - good deal?