997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

998 Conversion costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
998 Conversion costs

I was wondering how much would it cost for a 998 conversion on a 997, front and rear bumpers, lights, labor etc. Would it be wise to have them shipped and done locally?
I have seen the photos from Sharkwerks on the kermit, and realized the rear bumper was actually produced to have the rear lights fitted in. Is it possible to order them online from a trusted vendor and have them just painted and fitted the rest?
Please send me private message if it is inappropriate to discuss costs and extras. Thank you!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:02 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Let us know in a few years if and when a 998 becomes available.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Do you mean the 997.2?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:50 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
He means 997.2 and indeed it might as well have been labelled 998, given its major changes.

I suspect those changes (front and rear bumper) can be done, for a price (high). Personally, I think it would be silly. Emulating another model cosmetically is just tacky.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Seems a bit like mating a Chihuahua and a Doberman. I guess you could, but why would ya'? OTOH, if someday I could extract the DFI out of a totaled 997S.2 for a transplant in to my car, now you're talking.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
the next one will be a 991

Old 07-19-2009, 06:50 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
Seems a bit like mating a Chihuahua and a Doberman. I guess you could, but why would ya'? OTOH, if someday I could extract the DFI out of a totaled 997S.2 for a transplant in to my car, now you're talking.
Engine transplants are very $, you could get a 3.8X51 in your car, but if your are going through the expense, go get a GT3 engine!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Engine transplants are very $, you could get a 3.8X51 in your car, but if your are going through the expense, go get a GT3 engine!
That's expensive too. Might as well get a used GT3 and dump the current car. Probably will come out the same +/- and you'll have a real GT3.

+1 with the others. Why cosmetically transplant a 997.1 to a 997.2 when it's clearly not a 997.2? Did I just go to the Honda forums by accident...lol. Hey, but to each their own...

Last edited by rockstardoc; 07-19-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, I was just joking. I once prior (seriously at the time) teed up the notion of a used GT3 engine transplant and got my virtual head handed to me.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by rockstardoc
That's expensive too. Might as well get a used GT3 and dump the current car. Probably will come out the same +/- and you'll have a real GT3.
I agree 100%, but I was saying that if you are going to go through the expense, do a GT3 motor.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
I'm looking into a 996 conversion kit, but it's really getting expensive.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Banned
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Sorry, yes I meant 997.2 and it was a rough weekend I guess most of you are right, other than a show car, a regular 997 car must not need cosmetic changes to a .2, and now I'm thinking the interior would still look the same, and I would feel like such a tool

Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 PM
oregondave is infamous around these parts
Forgettaboutit. Someone on this board will always be willing to correct you if you mispeak. My advice - stick to wheels, ECU, exhaust, aero kits, etc. but don't mess with the light upgrades, etc. - it will kill the value of the car. Enjoy what you have and don't try to be a poser looking like you have the latest generation. EIther spend your money on the real thing or put it into something worthwhile on your car that will return some value. As JoeShark said, you'll probably only get 10 to ~50 cents on the dollar for performance mods anyway, and that's for things that people actually want.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Some people in the press have called the 997.2 the 998 also. I think Drivers republic or Excellence did that.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Longhorn is infamous around these parts
Anyone know the cost of a GT3 engine? used? Just curious....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 998 Conversion costs