997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Multi-function wheel upgrade for 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Jesse95911 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
Kaz, Ill get you alllll the beer you want for some install help...

+1

Maybe we could get all the Los Angeles folks together on a Saturday and do a clinic? Get em all done at the same time.

Jesse

Old 11-19-2009, 12:45 PM
greenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jesse95911
+1

Maybe we could get all the Los Angeles folks together on a Saturday and do a clinic? Get em all done at the same time.

Jesse
I'm up for that. I will get my part next week.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:18 PM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Kaz
No wheel doesnt really need to come off but I think the job becomes exponentially more difficult to perform with it on.

Yes the bolt that holds the 997.2 pdk steering wheel on is the same as the 997.1.

I can help you with the install if interested just bring me some beer and we're in business.
After the install, did the airbag sign lite up in the dash cluster? Also does the shift button still works even the MF hasn't been activated by the dealer? Thanks.

John

Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
My experience with the MF wheel

Hi All, as irony would have it, I was planning on posting on this topic anyway so this is a timely forum entry.

I bought a full 6 speed MF wheel from Suncoast several months ago and had the dealer install it. It took the dealer a few hours because, based on what they told me, it took quite a while for them to get all of the buttons mapped/working properly - note, they only charged me for an hour despite this (which I thought was quite fair).

As for the wheel itself, I have to admit I have mixed feelings about it because of the wheel/rollers (which roll up or down and also allow you to push in to make a selection) that are used to change the volume and make selections.

It's fine for the volume but terrible for making selections (changing stations, etc.) because it is almost impossible to tell if you have rolled it up/down sufficiently to make your selection without looking at the screen - which, is pretty much the whole point for getting it. I have also found it to be very difficult to avoid rolling the wheel when you push it in to make a selection.

My previous car, a 2006 Audi S4 cab, had toggle switches that you pushed up or down . . . with each push equaling a single increment/decrement. That worked perfectly because you could easily scroll through your preset stations (or tracks, etc.), one at a time. With the Porsche wheel, you have to roll to what you want and then push it in . . . all while glancing at the screen to make sure what you want is highlighted and that you push the wheel carefully enough to keep from rolling up to the next selection.

As for the phone and menu selection keys, I never use the menu keys and only occasionally use the phone keys (which are convenient when I remember to use them! LOL).

So, in conclusion, would I spend ~ $700 to buy the wheel and get it installed? No, it just doesn't give me enough convenience to make it better than using the dash mounted hardware.

Now, for $199.00, I would have zero regrets but that option wasn't available for the 6 speed (sigh).

Just my $0.02 for anyone that is on the fence about the purchase of the full wheel.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
For those interested, Suncoast is running 10% off on the multi-function wheel (or any OEM parts) from Nov 20th thru Dec 4th.

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/mer...de=holiday2009

Old 11-19-2009, 04:06 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TooSixy
For those interested, Suncoast is running 10% off on the multi-function wheel (or any OEM parts) from Nov 20th thru Dec 4th.

Thanks for the heads up man, I apreciate it, and Im sure everyone else does too

Originally Posted by Jesse95911
+1

Jesse
Im with that any saturday, any time, any place

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Kaz
Kaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the heads up man, I apreciate it, and Im sure everyone else does too

Im with that any saturday, any time, any place

Ok Im down with that plan as well. It would be great to meet all you local guys. Why dont we start a list of all those who are local and would be interested in this upgrade. We can designate a time thats convenient for all later. So whos in for the saturday clinic?

1. Kaz

Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Kaz
Kaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
After the install, did the airbag sign lite up in the dash cluster? Also does the shift button still works even the MF hasn't been activated by the dealer? Thanks.

John
Yes the airbag sign lit up on my upgrade and I believe that was due to having a 997.1 and required further hacking on my part. But this should only be an issue for those with prefacelift models as far as I can tell. My shift buttons didnt work until PIWIS activated the system.

Oh and btw if anyone is interested in a brown cocoa or red steering wheel mf or non mf I have them available that I can let go for practically nothing. I can also convert it to manual too if interested.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
1. Kaz
2. PersianGodFatha

Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by zschicago
I just ordered this multi-function wheel upgrade for my 09. Its a real deal at $199.00 on Suncoast site. When I get the unit I will post some instructions on the install.
how much is the install then? does it just add on? or needs like new wiring and such to connect?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 AM
greenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the rough
1. Kaz
2. PersianGodFatha
3. GreenPDK

Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
if one doesnt have bluetooth, what do the phone buttons do?

i like this but i would use to navigate the music on CD/other... dont want 1 useful button and 5 useless buttons tho.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Kaz
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
if one doesnt have bluetooth, what do the phone buttons do?

i like this but i would use to navigate the music on CD/other... dont want 1 useful button and 5 useless buttons tho.
if you dont have bluetooth only two buttons would be useless. Sounds like youre trying to convince yourself to resist the temptation for this upgrade. Bottom line would require approx $200 for the part $170 to the dealer PIWIS and prob 1-2 hrs of your time. So for $370 + your time you get a nice upgrade. I hope that helps you in making a decision.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TooSixy

Hey folks, we've cleaned out all of the US depots, we're ordering more from Germany. If you pre-order through our site, we will put you on the top of the list, and ship them when possible. Contact us at any time for an update.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
Wont get mine till Dec 3rd. UPS sucks. Shipped on 19th from FL. I guess its on slow boat through the Panama Canal to LA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multi-function wheel upgrade for 997.2