997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Jpg0511 is on a distinguished road
Can someone add a link to the Gundo hack. I have searched and found 10000000 topic on where to get it done but none discribing it?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jpg0511
Can someone add a link to the Gundo hack. I have searched and found 10000000 topic on where to get it done but none discribing it?
This is the main one:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ste-money.html

IMO, it's a great, cheap mod if you're looking to improve sound.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
As I search for my used C2S I came across a dash button I am unfamiliar with. The first photo came from a sport chrono C2S and I understand all the buttons (spoiler, PASM, SC+, PSM). The second photos is from a C2S w/o SC but there is an exhaust button, which I presume is the PSE button? My next question is: What if the car comes with SC+ and PSE, are there 5 buttons across or does one of the buttons activate the PSE? Some clarity would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Name:  button1.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  button2.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  16.1 KB

Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
If PSE and SC, the PSE is activated using the SC button - so there will only be 3 buttons. If no SC but has PSE then you get the exhaust tip button to activate PSE.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
If you have the 'Sport Chrono+' option there is no 'PSE' or 'Exhaust Icon' button as the DME controls the activation of the Sport Exhaust vacuum controlled dampers. When your speed falls below a certain value the DME turns off the 'loud state'. Has to do w/ German noise regulations and such.

In a non Sport Chrono+ equipped car w/ a factory PSE Porsche installs the 'Exhaust Icon Switch' in the panel which in turn control the PSE valve(s).

Although I can't say for sure when you're in the 'Sport Mode' (in a Sport Chrono+ equipped car) the PSE might be in the 'loud state' all the time. I'm sure someone will pipe in if I'm stating this incorrectly.

Hopefully I provided some 'clarity' to your PSE questions.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 AM
away will become famous soon enough
When in 'sport' the PSE is in loud mode, although the DME does still quiet it down between certain speed ranges. Only way to have it 'full loud' all the time is to unplug the valves or purchase the Carnewal device.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by away
When in 'sport' the PSE is in loud mode, although the DME does still quiet it down between certain speed ranges. Only way to have it 'full loud' all the time is to unplug the valves or purchase the Carnewal device.
You can also have your own switch installed so that the valve is either open or closed without the DME switching logic.

Jason

Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
You can also do something like this as well.

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Personally, I think if you like the sound of the PSE with loud on, you'd be better suited to check out some of the aftermarket options out there. There are several companies (Cargraphic or Tubi to name a few) that can offer you the perfect sound you're looking for, while also saving tons of weight over the PSE system.
It may not come up in your customer base, Tom, but if you know: Do those aftermarket exhausts interfere with the California smog tests?

Gary

Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
You can do anything you want post cat.. so switching to aftermarket mufflers would not be a problem. You could also get away with X51 headers since its an OE part. Doubtful even AWE or Tubi headers would fail a visual test.

200 Cell cats would be the catch in CA. I did not Smog my car with them so I dont know how well they would pass.

Jason

Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Good info here on the switch solution. On an RS but the concept would be the same.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...inger-tip.html

Jason

Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AP 997S
If you have the 'Sport Chrono+' option there is no 'PSE' or 'Exhaust Icon' button as the DME controls the activation of the Sport Exhaust vacuum controlled dampers. When your speed falls below a certain value the DME turns off the 'loud state'. Has to do w/ German noise regulations and such.

In a non Sport Chrono+ equipped car w/ a factory PSE Porsche installs the 'Exhaust Icon Switch' in the panel which in turn control the PSE valve(s).

Hopefully I provided some 'clarity' to your PSE questions.
Makes sense, thanks.
Originally Posted by AP 997S
You can also do something like this as well.
Ahh, now you stumped me, and counter to what you posted above. This was exactly what I was asking about....so what gives?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JEllis
You can do anything you want post cat.. so switching to aftermarket mufflers would not be a problem. You could also get away with X51 headers since its an OE part. Doubtful even AWE or Tubi headers would fail a visual test.
I seem to have enough power to run down anything I care to chase, so that isn't my goal. Do the headers affect the exhaust sound?

G

Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BMiller33
Ahh, now you stumped me, and counter to what you posted above. This was exactly what I was asking about....so what gives?
It wasn't me who stumped you but I'll clarify.

In a nutshell, here's the deal on a 997.1 w/ PSE (as OEM from factory):

- If PSE but NO S/C... PSE is controlled w/ the exhaust tip switch in console.

- If PSE AND S/C, the sport button also controls PSE activation.

However, in both set ups, below XXXX RPMs, the DME (thru vacuum IIRC, or lack there of) overrides the switch's position and keeps the valves closed /quiet (to meet European noise standards for urban areas or some such).

Now, when installing PSE aftermkt, some will avoid the extra work/hassle of having to wire a switch to the console or tapping into the SC / DME. Instead, they'll wire in a separate switch (pic w/ 5 switches in dash console or separate one in ashtray) to outright control PSE's loud/quiet setting. With the OEM set up originally outlined above, you can ALSO put in an override switch (again in console or ashtray, wherever) to outright control PSE regardless of DME/vacuum. Or some will disconnect the actuator signal wire in the engine compartment leaving the PSE loud at all times.

On the 997.2, my understanding is the PSE is controlled similarly switch-wise but the DME override is buried deeper (in the software I guess). As such, it cannot be disabled easily by disconnecting an actuator plug in the engine compartment.

Regardless, I say loose the extra hassle / weight and simply go aftermkt w/ Fabspeed

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 04-05-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:09 PM
LakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Mb007
Hey does anyone know if the valves can be adjusted so it's louder through the rpms? Or is there an aftermarket exhaust that can use the switch inside the car to really increase the sound? Was debating Tubi or Borla...any thoughts?
This is the easy way... Just order this and install in 5 minutes. You get to keep the on/off functionality as well. http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p97084.htm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Exhaust