997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
rear spoiler

is there a way, other than have someone drive behind me, to know if my rear spoiler goes up?

The car doesnt feel stabile on the highway around 80-100 mph. I have driven these cars over 140 and it felt solid and completely in control

But lately my car just doesnt feel right - like its moving around at higher speeds. It doesnt feel steady. Wondering if my spoiler isnt rising to help stabilize the car

Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Put it up manually when stopped, go look to see if it's up, then go drive at whatever speed and see how it feels...

Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Stability could be tire/wheel related (wear) or road related (ruts worn in pavement cause cars to really wander) as well. May be alignment also.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
Stability could be tire/wheel related (wear) or road related (ruts worn in pavement cause cars to really wander) as well. May be alignment also.
or even tire pressure!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
road is fine, wheels are brand new and properly inflated

Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Isn't there a warning light or a message displayed if the spoiler fails to deploy at speed?

Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by P997S
is there a way, other than have someone drive behind me, to know if my rear spoiler goes up?

The car doesnt feel stabile on the highway around 80-100 mph. .........
It's a cab: what do you expect?

Seriously, can't remember where I read it a couple of years ago, but supposedly the difference in downforce open or closed is almost unmeasurable. Maybe the previous posts on tires/suspension are the things to look at.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by P997S

The car doesnt feel stabile on the highway around 80-100 mph. I have driven these cars over 140 and it felt solid and completely in control

But lately my car just doesnt feel right - like its moving around at higher speeds. It doesnt feel steady. Wondering if my spoiler isnt rising to help stabilize the car
Lately? You just bought it like less than a month ago, right? How can it go from being a brand new perfect 2010 911 to "it just doesn't feel right" in less than a month???

Have you driven this car 80-100 MPH where it did feel right and now it doesn't? Or? Maybe its just the way the 997.2 Cab feels...I mean, what else have you tested it against?

And, if it doesn't feel right, why haven't you taken it back to the dealer and have them road test it?

Just askin' the simple questions...

Steve

PS: My understanding regarding the rear spoiler is it is much more about cooling the engine compartment than having anything to do with stabilizing the vehicle. This bit of wisdom came from the service adviser at Beverly Hills Porsche when the replaced the spoiler motor as it just didn't sound right.

Last edited by socalsteve; 04-16-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Kuhl997 has a spectacular aura aboutKuhl997 has a spectacular aura about
The spoiler pop up at 75mph and if you push the manual button the amber light will be on. It goes off when it goes down (997.1 2006 cab). I have taken my car 140 and it seems very stable.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Funny - in the 996 you can see the spoiler go up while you are driving. In the 997 you cant. I'd put it up manually. My car is rock solid at 80 and over.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 AM
What is with this attitude?? It is a perfect car. I love it. I had a 2005 997 S cab - it always felt stable. Yes, my car isn't even 3 weeks old. But recently (last week) it just didn't feel as stable as it should going 80-90. Maybe it was very windy but I expected the car to feel more planted. I can't asK the service department to go drive it almost 100 mph to try to replicate the experience. They will not do that. I'm pretty sure it's against the law my friend.
Anyway, it made me wonder if the spoiler was operating correctly since to my knowledgeits its purpose is to apply downward force.

Maybe it's the informal nature of the Internet but you come across extremely rude (I'm being nice) in your response. If for some unknown reason you have a problem with me than please stop reading and responding to my posts. Life is too short and there are too many nice people ( Vic, matt and Riley just to name a few) that I have recently met through 6speed to waste my time dealing with antagonists.

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Lately? You just bought it like less than a month ago, right? How can it go from being a brand new perfect 2010 911 to "it just doesn't feel right" in less than a month???

Have you driven this car 80-100 MPH where it did feel right and now it doesn't? Or? Maybe its just the way the 997.2 Cab feels...I mean, what else have you tested it against?

And, if it doesn't feel right, why haven't you taken it back to the dealer and have them road test it?

Just askin' the simple questions...

Steve

PS: My understanding regarding the rear spoiler is it is much more about cooling the engine compartment than having anything to do with stabilizing the vehicle. This bit of wisdom came from the service adviser at Beverly Hills Porsche when the replaced the spoiler motor as it just didn't sound right.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 AM
winkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of light
Tie a rope to your rear tow hook and attach the other end to a skateboard.
Put one of your kids on it.
Drive 80.
Ask him if the spoiler went up

Simple. Problem solved.

JK.

When I pass a gasoline or milk truck with reflective tank, I do look to see if my spoiler is up...but that's mostly just for the fun of it.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:09 AM
v10nut has a spectacular aura aboutv10nut has a spectacular aura aboutv10nut has a spectacular aura about
Unless you have a HUGE wing on the back like the Viper ACR you wont really notice any change in driving characteristics due to body aero changes at that speed. 80-100 mph is actually not that fast especially for a car as well designed as the 997. If you were doing 140+ then maybe but I doubt it. There are a couple of things that I feel could cause the uneasy feeling. On cars with wider soft tires, when driving on concrete highways that have the grooves for rain traction the car can fallow the grooves and wiggle back and forth (especially at higher speeds). Driving on tar snakes can also cause this feeling. As the tires scrub in this tends to go away. That is a lesson I learned with the viper. Once the tires got a few thousand miles on them it went away. You could have knocked the wheels out of alignment as well. What tire pressure are you running? Just because they are all the same pressure does not mean that it is the right pressure. I would have the car inspected by Porsche to make sure there is not a defect in the the steering ie, sway bars, ball joints etc. My guess is its either a tire issue or just inexperience with new tires and road conditions. If it continues to bother you and the car checks out then you may want to have a good Porsche tuning shop do a track bump steer adjustment to your car. Good luck and keep us posted on your findings.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:45 AM
porscheman1963 is infamous around these parts
I was just about to say that I can see my spoiler when deployed whether or not the top is up or down but then I realized maybe this is because I have a lip spoiler attached. Never thought about not seeing it until this thread but I guess on most 997.2's you can't see it when deployed.

Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by porscheman1963
I was just about to say that I can see my spoiler when deployed whether or not the top is up or down but then I realized maybe this is because I have a lip spoiler attached. Never thought about not seeing it until this thread but I guess on most 997.2's you can't see it when deployed.
I like the spoiler you have, what brand/model is it if you don't mind? (I see the pic taken inside a Porsche dealer).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rear spoiler