997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The ultimate 997S weight loss and cage build thread. GMG build.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:20 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
The ultimate 997S weight loss and cage build thread. GMG build.

Ok so you guys all know I've gone off the deep end with my 997S and made it into my own little track gremlin. Yes it prob would have been the same cost to buy a cup car yada yada yada but this transformation didn't happen over night and the cost have been spread out over a long period of time which has made it easier on my marriage and over the long run it is WAY cheaper to run a spec 997 than a cup car for track days. (let's not debate that here cuz there are many different opinions) What I wanted to do with this thread is show you guys the next and final phase of the transformation from street car to dedicated track car. Here is what the race build crew at GMG are building for me, a new full cup car spec roll cage and new wiring that will reduce weight even more and make the car a safe as possible.

Right now I have the car down to 2960. Let's see how low we can get the weight down. Let's begin.........

The day I got the car in 2007 - Bone Stock

Here is the car as it stands (Long Beach Grand Prix parade laps)

Laps at Laguna Seca

here are the first build pics of the cage (more to come)

Dash out and wiring out for cage build and wiring re-work. (OMP steering wheel out for transport)

I will update you guys as GMG sends me updates of the cage build. The interior is also going to be painted white to reduce in cabin heat.

I've been working with GMG for a long time because they always do it right and solid and that to me matters most.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
jeez, thats insane.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
WOW, that is literally scary to see. There is NOTHING in there lol. You sir are a brave man. Congratulations on your project, can't wait to see the finished results.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:20 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
That's quite an evolution but honestly, take it down to a bare tub and build it up instead of building it down.

Almost every real race car build starts this way. Your almost there anyway.

GMG has done it before plenty of times...see pic.

Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2010, 02:23 PM
geestyleed is on a distinguished road
Thats is crazy - and nice at the same time

You should have bought only a empty frame with a engine+trans - the rest is anyway not there anymore or modified

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Wow... Look at those wires...

Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JmanE55
Wow... Look at those wires...

And already 400lbs lighter - get rid of all that loose wire and probably shave off another 100lbs.

No windows - gotta ask yourself, how bad do you really need that roof?

Cool wheels - what are they, Forgestar F14s?

Last edited by stevepow; 06-20-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:39 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
wow..that's just insanely cool......I think your warranty just got voided..

Old 06-20-2010, 02:46 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
OMG......

I thought I had seen it all.......you are one crazy SOB and you get HUGE respect points from me for doing something I couldn't even imagine doing,LOL!

AWESOME,I love it!

Does anyone one know roughly what losing 100 lbs of weight would be equal to Horse-Power....I was under the assumption that every 100 lbs=10hp(not RWHP)........?

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 06-20-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gomez
and over the long run it is WAY cheaper to run a spec 997 than a cup car for track days. (let's not debate that here cuz there are many different opinions)
why not to debate that? it`s a constant topic on rennlist as well.

but, anyway, what is your target weight and what class are you getting into in the end of this? are you going to rework the engine?
what gmg says about exterior - will they replace metal fenders with plastic? as i understand rear fenders cannot be substituted as it is a part of a frame, right? what about front? any other details? will you keep stock fuel tank or will it be replaced too?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!! Rep points for you. Keep us updated.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:31 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
You would gain additional weight savings by removing the "911" from the rear deck lid.

Seriously, you are a very brave man. All the best.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:04 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by stevepow
And already 400lbs lighter - get rid of all that loose wire and probably shave off another 100lbs.

No windows - gotta ask yourself, how bad do you really need that roof?

Cool wheels - what are they, Forgestar F14s?
Yeah I think we took out 200 more lbs but with the cage going in a think a total of 100 lbs could be lost. I hoping for a 2800 lbs car with cage.

Yes they are Forgestars ...light and affordable!

Originally Posted by justatoy
OMG......

I thought I had seen it all.......you are one crazy SOB and you get HUGE respect points from me for doing something I couldn't even imagine doing,LOL!

AWESOME,I love it!

Does anyone one know roughly what losing 100 lbs of weight would be equal to Horse-Power....I was under the assumption that every 100 lbs=10hp(not RWHP)........?

I've heard this as well. The one thing I will say is when I first lost the initial 400 lbs it was like a new car, I was pulling on everything in my class. Such a power boost!

Stacy
Originally Posted by utkinpol
why not to debate that? it`s a constant topic on rennlist as well.

but, anyway, what is your target weight and what class are you getting into in the end of this? are you going to rework the engine?
what gmg says about exterior - will they replace metal fenders with plastic? as i understand rear fenders cannot be substituted as it is a part of a frame, right? what about front? any other details? will you keep stock fuel tank or will it be replaced too?
Yeah the whole debate on cost makes me bored. Some of these guys get their panties in bunch trying to defend their positions. But don't be fooled it doesn't cost the same nor do they perform the same. If I had the money I would have a cup car but I don't so I have this. (which I LOVE)

On the other weight saving items maybe those will come down the road for sure. Mostly Carbon body parts.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Here is a quick list of stage 1 weight loss for the car.

Gomez weight reduction tallies *estimated

-45 lbs - Muffler delete

-19 lbs - naked trunk

-8 lbs - OZ wheels over lobster forks

-9 lbs - No washer fluid

-20 lbs - remove stock rear deck lid add new carbon wing

-90 lbs - remove stock seats add one evo drivers side

- 65 lbs - remove all interior carpet and foam, back seats and subwoofer

- 25 lbs - replace stock battery with light weight braille battery

- 8 lbs - remove street seat belts

- 19 lbs - LWFW and Sachs Pressure PLate

-10 lbs - cup car front bumper - no reinforcement

-15 lbs - removed glove box and passenger side airbag

-20 lbs - remove rear bumper reinforcement and heat shield

-40 lbs - sunroof delete

- 7 lbs - radio delete

Total - 400 LBS Lost
New car weight 2960 LBS

Old 06-21-2010, 01:25 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
who in their right mind would spend so much money modding a 997S and then gutting it just so its faster at the track??????

Oh **** wait.... i did that too!

Booya!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The ultimate 997S weight loss and cage build thread. GMG build.