997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche Junior Seat not available... what now..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM
chobit is on a distinguished road
Smile

I was in touch with Safety Restraint Coalition here in Seattle
http://www.800bucklup.org/

As for my 3 years old, here are their suggestions:

The rider safe travel Vest is a very interesting product, which I should be able to check on Sunday, and I did see the Sunshine kids radian online before they e-mail me this morning. They say the shell on the Radian is the same on all models. I'll let everyone know what my finding later.. so everyone can be benifited in the future too..

· Ride Safer Travel Vest http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/
· Sunshine Kids Radian http://www.skjp.com/products/97556/Car_Seats

Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 PM
cfos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
It should be . If I had kids I would have to have some type of family car . Some of the practical cars are so inexpensive that it just makes sense to have it and it also saves miles and wear on the Porsche.
That doesn't sound like enjoyment to me. I traded in the boxster and bought my 911 to drive with the family.

The Britax roundabout has been working great and I hope to use the Recaros in the future. I see no reason why the 911 can't be used as a family car. Sure it takes planning and (obviously, teens can't dfit in the back), but we managed a 6h drive to vegas with an 18 mo old. Best mod? The Dynex dvd player and several sesame street videos. "MR NOODLE!"

Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 PM
sajidveera is on a distinguished road
car seat

Originally Posted by pinoy911tt
i have this for sale. used literally 3-4 times. oem porsche seat. pm me if interested.

Hey Man,
How much are you asking for the seat?
Thanks,
Sajidveera@gmail.com

Old 10-31-2010, 05:18 PM
gkm1 is on a distinguished road
Is your seat still available?

Hello Pinoy911: is your seat still available? I couldn't PM you since I haven't posted enough times yet...

Originally Posted by pinoy911tt
i have this for sale. used literally 3-4 times. oem porsche seat. pm me if interested.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM
shumphries is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
We have another family car but love little jaunts in the porsche. The kids just know it's cooler than mom's car. They behave really well with it. The day I got it I told them there were three rules... know them... live them.

1) No touching the paint.
2) No food or drink
3) No shoes in the car. Their little dirty shoes scuff up the leather.
That's funny! My three rules are:

1. Feet off the seats.
2. Don't throw stuff out the top.
3. DON'T THROW STUFF OUT THE TOP!

I use a Recaro in the back for my 4-yr-old.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:34 PM
I have a 3.5 boy, and have a girl coming this Mid Nov. I currently own a Recaro Como (Came off my STi) & it's too big. I then bought a sunshrine Kids Car Seat (They have 3 models, but the size are the same), it's fit better, but I would still consider un-acceptable. I then bought a new Britax Roundabout 55 which just came out recently (Bought it the 1st day it came out - tested the demo). The Roundabout fit pefectly with the seat cushion in place. I also have the Porsche Junior Plus Seat, since it's a booster type seat, it's not quite right for my 3.5 years old at this time. However, I have a setup which allow me to have the best rear visibility for driving, and continue to keep my 3.5 years old son relatively safe for short trip.
I use the Porsche Junior with seat only w/o the back. Then my son would wear this safe rider travel vest. http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/ It's suppose to be very safe, but w/o side impact protection.
I'll take pictures the next time it doesn't rain here in Seattle...!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 AM
llngoc is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if the Racaro ProSport will fit in the backseat of a 997.2? Our 3 years old DD is just shy of 30 lb and we also feel safer in the 5 point harness. So I'd wait a year before switching her to the Racaro Vivo.

Any suggestion for any other car seat? I am also considering the Britax Roundabout 40/50. Which one may fit better?

Thanks
Louis

Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM
While I can't tell you if the Recaro would fit or not. The Roundabout 55 (New base design compares to the old ones) fit just pefect like it's made for the car.

So, I would highly recommend you checking it out, since that's one of the best car seat on the market, and it's widely available including the local baby R US.

Originally Posted by llngoc
Does anyone know if the Racaro ProSport will fit in the backseat of a 997.2? Our 3 years old DD is just shy of 30 lb and we also feel safer in the 5 point harness. So I'd wait a year before switching her to the Racaro Vivo.

Any suggestion for any other car seat? I am also considering the Britax Roundabout 40/50. Which one may fit better?

Thanks
Louis

Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Chobit - good news about the 55. Did you remove the rear cushion or seat back?

Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Smile

It actually fits better with the cushion on. =D

Originally Posted by rye595
Chobit - good news about the 55. Did you remove the rear cushion or seat back?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:12 AM
tkao2025 is on a distinguished road
For the Britax 55, do you use the shoulder seat belt to tie the seat down? Is it snug? I'm thinking about a 911 and know that there's no latch system in them.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 AM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
Most of the child seats don't fit because they are too wide for the bucket shaped back seat. $250 seems excessive to me.

I made the regular car seats fit by cutting off the sides of the posterior base with a hack saw. Does not effect the structure of the seat but allows it to sit flat and all of the way to the back.

I make sure the shoulder belts are running to the side of the seat back so the strap does not ride too high.

This seems to fit my 4 any 5 year olds pretty well.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tkao2025
For the Britax 55, do you use the shoulder seat belt to tie the seat down? Is it snug? I'm thinking about a 911 and know that there's no latch system in them.
What makes you think that - are you meaning rear-seat LATCH only? There is a LATCH system for the passenger seat, as well as tether anchors behind the rear seats. Some snippets from the owners manual:

Child Restraint Systems

f Do not install a child restraint system in the Sports bucket seat.

The Sports bucket seat cannot be equipped with the LATCH system

Porsche recommends that all infants and children be restrained in child restraint systems at all times while the vehicle is in motion in accordance with applicable laws.

Use only child restraint systems with the LATCH system recommended by Porsche. These systems have been tested and adjusted to the interior of your Porsche and the appropriate child weight groups. Other systems have not been tested and could entail an increased risk of injury or death.

You can obtain child seats that are LATCH compatible at your authorized Porsche dealer.

f Always observe the separate installation instructions for your child seat.

The use of infant or child restraints is required by law in all 50 states of the U.S. and all Canadian provinces. The child restraint system should be one that complies with U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and should be secured by a lap belt or lap belt portion of a lap-shoulder belt or for child seats equipped with the LATCH sytem (
Lower Anchorage and Tether for Children, also known as ISOFIX) to the LATCH anchorages.

A statement by the seat manufacturer of compliance with this standard can be found on the instruction label on the restraint and in the instruction manual provided with the restraint.

LATCH System
Child seat bracket on the passenger’s seat

The key switch for switching off the passenger’s airbag and the LATCH attachment bracket are not installed at the factory. They can be retrofitted (

not on vehicles with Sports bucket seats).

f
Please see your authorized Porsche dealer.

Porsche recommends the use of a Porsche Child Seat with
Lower Anchorage and Tether for Children system (LATCH).

These systems have been tested and adjusted to the interior of your Porsche and the appropriate child weight groups. Other systems have not been tested and could entail an increased risk of injury.

You can obtain child seats that are LATCH compatible at your authorized Porsche dealer.

f Always observe the separate installation instructions for your child seat.

f Please see the chapter “CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEMS” on Page 50.

Installing a LATCH child seat system
1. Secure the child seat to retaining lugs A as outlined in the instruction manual for the child seat.

2. Pull the child seat to check that both fastening points are engaged correctly.

Note
f Make sure that the key switch is switched to AUTO once the child seat has been removed, in order to provide protection to the adult occupants.

Child Restraint Anchorages
(Coupé and Targa)

f Please see the chapter “AUTOMATIC LOCKING RETRACTOR” on Page 53.

If your child restraint seat or seats require the use of a tether strap, you will want to use the anchor points provided behind the rear seat backrests under the carpet.

To ensure proper installation, see your authorized Porsche dealer.

Note
If a child seat with top tether is adapted for use on the front seat, the rear right (passenger’s side) anchor point must be used for anchoring the top tether. It is then not permitted for a passenger to use the rear right (passenger’s side) seat.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:49 AM
llngoc is on a distinguished road
Do you have to remove the base from the Roundabout 55 to fit it into the rear seat? I wonder if Roundabout 50 may fit even better. Will it be too much to ask if I can have a picture of the seat installed?

Thanks a lot for your info. I am eager to get my first Carrera but my DD's safety is also paramount.

Originally Posted by chobit
While I can't tell you if the Recaro would fit or not. The Roundabout 55 (New base design compares to the old ones) fit just pefect like it's made for the car.

So, I would highly recommend you checking it out, since that's one of the best car seat on the market, and it's widely available including the local baby R US.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Smile

I'll try, but can't promise, because my wife has a due date for our 2nd child (Girl) this Sunday. So, my mom is here to help us out for at least a month, therefore, no daycare needed for my son 3.5, and I am driving my Porsche daily with the windblocker on w/o the car seat.

As for the round about 55, it fits w/o any modifications needed. I recommend you try it at a baby r us.
My C4S Cab doesn't have latch, so it was setup with regular seat belt, and beside the footprint problem using a carseat in our car, one of my discovery is that some carseat seatbelt path is too low, so there is very little force pulling the seat downward agaist the seat. The roundabout 55 seatbelt path is much higher, and it works very well with the our Porsche.

Originally Posted by llngoc
Do you have to remove the base from the
Roundabout 55 to fit it into the rear seat? I wonder if Roundabout 50 may fit even better. Will it be too much to ask if I can have a picture of the seat installed?

Thanks a lot for your info. I am eager to get my first Carrera but my DD's safety is also paramount.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Junior Seat not available... what now..