997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche Junior Seat not available... what now..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 AM
p's pcar will become famous soon enoughp's pcar will become famous soon enough
Did you ever get to try this safe rider travel vest? I'm interested to see how it works.
Originally Posted by chobit
I have a 3.5 boy, and have a girl coming this Mid Nov. I currently own a Recaro Como (Came off my STi) & it's too big. I then bought a sunshrine Kids Car Seat (They have 3 models, but the size are the same), it's fit better, but I would still consider un-acceptable. I then bought a new Britax Roundabout 55 which just came out recently (Bought it the 1st day it came out - tested the demo). The Roundabout fit pefectly with the seat cushion in place. I also have the Porsche Junior Plus Seat, since it's a booster type seat, it's not quite right for my 3.5 years old at this time. However, I have a setup which allow me to have the best rear visibility for driving, and continue to keep my 3.5 years old son relatively safe for short trip.
I use the Porsche Junior with seat only w/o the back. Then my son would wear this safe rider travel vest. http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/ It's suppose to be very safe, but w/o side impact protection.
I'll take pictures the next time it doesn't rain here in Seattle...!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 AM
chobit is on a distinguished road
Smile

Yes, my son has been using it daily. The vest is very easy to put on, and I use it in combination with the Porsche Booster seat, which made everything fit perfectly. I"ll take a photo of it later today, so that you can see it.

The new Britax 55 also fit well on the back of the 997, which is currently setup as backward facing for my 9.5 months old daughter.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Smile Here are some pictures

Here are some pictures.

In case you need to know, I am 5'10"

Attached Images      

Last edited by chobit; 08-29-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the pics. Rep points for you, especially for getting your daughter in rear facing. My wife is 5'9" and is complaining of lack of legroom as my son gets bigger. I'll have to show her this setup.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Glad to know that this helps!!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
My C4S Cab doesn't have latch, so it was setup with regular seat belt, and beside the footprint problem using a carseat in our car, one of my discovery is that some carseat seatbelt path is too low, so there is very little force pulling the seat downward agaist the seat. The roundabout 55 seatbelt path is much higher, and it works very well with the our Porsche.
Just FYI, I had a rough time getting the Britax Roundabout 55 into my car, front facing. It just wasn't solid at all. Sadly, it did work well rear facing, but I can't get it to tighten down enough not to move while front facing. Gonna buy some pool noodles tomorrow, but I think I'll end up sticking with my older standard Roundabout and switching to a booster when my kids get older.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Exclamation

I had used the seat forward facing w/o any issue. I did that w/o removing any of the seat cusions.

Originally Posted by kitw
Just FYI, I had a rough time getting the Britax Roundabout 55 into my car, front facing. It just wasn't solid at all. Sadly, it did work well rear facing, but I can't get it to tighten down enough not to move while front facing. Gonna buy some pool noodles tomorrow, but I think I'll end up sticking with my older standard Roundabout and switching to a booster when my kids get older.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I had used the seat forward facing w/o any issue. I did that w/o removing any of the seat cusions.
Maybe you're better at installing it than I am, but I couldn't get the seat tight. The tunnel side seat buckle receiver sits canted forward, so no matter how hard I pushed down on the seat, the bottom wasn't secure, I could pull it forward quite a bit. I tried with closed cell foam (more springy than pool noodles) and nothing worked. I'm just going to get a recaro ProBooster for my almost 4 year old and a Porsche Junior seat for my 1.5 year old.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:41 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe you're better at installing it than I am, but I couldn't get the seat tight. The tunnel side seat buckle receiver sits canted forward, so no matter how hard I pushed down on the seat, the bottom wasn't secure, I could pull it forward quite a bit. I tried with closed cell foam (more springy than pool noodles) and nothing worked. I'm just going to get a recaro ProBooster for my almost 4 year old and a Porsche Junior seat for my 1.5 year old.
Let me know how the Recaro ProBooster fits. I'm returning a Recaro Vivo this weekend because, it only works with the headrest all the way down. The headrest extends over the shoulders and my daughter needs the extra room because she is getting taller.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I just checked out the Probooster on line. I just need the base seat.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 AM
Smile

I am sort of busy during weekdays, so I"ll try to see if I can help you more by doing it again Foward facing this weekends.

I setup the seats this way multiple times in the past, so I know it works.

I have to say that I am pretty good on installing car seats in general.

I went to the class which teach me how to do it, since then I have had over 6 car seats in 4 diff. cars, and I help my friends on how to do it properly. I also have a little device which allow you to tighen the belt more if you want to. =D

So, I am no pro, but relatively experience.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 AM
I went to the class which teach me how to do it, since then I have had over 6 car seats in 4 diff. cars, and I help my friends on how to do it properly. I also have a little device which allow you to tighen the belt more if you want to. =D

So, I am no pro, but relatively experience.

=) I currently own 6 car seats. I've also bought and sold another 10 over the last 3 days, trying to fit something in my 997. I even bought a Mighty-tite and punched a hole in my rear seat using it

Anyhow, love to see pictures of your install, if you get a chance.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Speaking of seats, Toys R Us has a 25% off trade in deal right now. I got rid of an older seat lastnight. I never realized they had an expiration date.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by p's pcar
Speaking of seats, Toys R Us has a 25% off trade in deal right now. I got rid of an older seat lastnight. I never realized they had an expiration date.

Yep, once the kids hit 17, its time to get 'em new ones!

Really expiration dates on car seats? I can understand if it was like a helmet where once in an accident you throw it out. I guess the thought is all sitting and moving around init over time could cause structural weakness... How many years are they rated for?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
6 years was the expiration for my old Britax. I think it's more sitting in a hot car for that long makes the plastic brittle. Saw a convincing YouTube crash test video of an expired one to convince me to upgrade. Plus my son is starting to get taller.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Junior Seat not available... what now..