997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Clearbra care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 PM
vrnkc is on a distinguished road
Clearbra care

Can a clearbra be washed and waxed just like on paint?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it can but you don't want to get it too hot (i.e. high speed buffer). I will use a 50/50 solution of 70% IPA and water and then spray it and wipe down with a microfiber until all the defects are almost or all out. Then i will use Menzerna Powerlock and put in on and take off by hand. Comes out beautiful. This is what my XPEL/3M installer and detailer told me.

I'm sure one of the detailers will come on and give you the perfect info!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
I've personally kept any true carnuba type of wax away from them due to the potential to "yellow" over time. Supposedly the synthetics are ok. (Honestly I do a wash as with the whole car, and use either Plexus or the SpeedShine sprays on it and have had excellent luck with that).

Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 AM
RH512 is on a distinguished road
Just would add that you should protect the edges if you're doing anything that might cause them to slightly lift. Use thin masking tape over edges in those instances.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Don't make my mistake

I've used a touch of goo-gone to get rid of tire marks after track days. Works fine.

However....... Never, ever use GOO-GONE-EXTREME. I obliviously used some the clean up more tire/ tar marks........ Melted (chemically) the clear bra.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by KaamaCat
I've personally kept any true carnuba type of wax away from them due to the potential to "yellow" over time. Supposedly the synthetics are ok. (Honestly I do a wash as with the whole car, and use either Plexus or the SpeedShine sprays on it and have had excellent luck with that).
It's actually just the opposite, Bob. You want to use natural products and stay away from those with ingredients such as kerosine or naptha (very common). Zymol and Swissvax are two very good choices. Plexus in particular contains about 70 naptha by volume and will absolutely turn it yellow over time. I have test panels on my desk in the office to prove it. I will try and remember to post pics of this when I get back to the office.

Aside from the waxes that I mentioned, we also make a purpose made sealant that is not harmful to the film and protects far better than wax. You can check it out here.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Old 09-14-2010, 11:44 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Tim........thank you very much for that!!

I would say that the person that does the local installs now at Porsche does not use the Plexus any more, but rather a "hand spray" type of bottle with what looks like watered down skim milk. (Best as I can describe).

On the carnuba side.......they were mentioning the yellow carnubas like a Zymol has. (I use the Creme on my car and had, well for now, been keeping away from the clear bra).

Excellent info, especially for those with the lighter colored cars where yellowing will show fast-and-easy! I'm not sure of the film he is using now but will have to check.

What I do though after a drive where bugs may have hit the car, is to take a microfiber on it first with nice warm water, and lightly wipe away the bulky stuff. Then apply the spray afterwards.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 AM
dsanto is on a distinguished road
Chemical guys have a spray (quick detailer) that is formulated to help protect clear bras. I received mine just haven't tried it yet.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Please use the search function. There are numerous threads on clearbra care on the detailing section of this forum.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
Here is the pic I promised comparing two panels covered with PPF. One was treated with Plexus, the other was bare.